Need suggestions for Floor standing speakers for Marantz PM 7004

Jag

Hi all,

Please help to suggest a pair of floor standing speakers for my home use.

I like a simple stereo set up for both movie and music. ( 50% + 50%).

My current set up is Marantz PM7004 + Boston A26 bookshelf.
I like the sound from Marantz + A26;
In my opinion it is good with Low/base but little soft high and average mid frequencies.

I do not have much experience with current available floor standing speakers.

I am unable to travel and do an audition right now. Long time ago, (~2010s) did audition for few entry level bookshelves. Actually I like the sound of most of the brand speakers then. Below was my experience.

All entry level bookshelves. Don’t remember the models names.
Wharfedale - big sound stage. Felt like sound from a big speakers
Dali - good vocals, base and high,
Monitor audio Bronze- felt little bright.
B&W - Great base & expensive.
Boston A26- Humble sound, good bass, bought this as dealer gave good discounts and thought it will be good match to Marantz as both from same parent company. Anyway it serves well.

All these data may not relevant now as they are long time ago and auditioned only bookshelves

I like bigger sound stage with adequate bass and no harsh high end. Something like a laid back big sound stage.

We will be playing all type of music. pop, jazz, classical, anything feels good.
Formats will be Wav, MP3, flac, Spotify, you tube, etc.

Now plan is to upgrade from bookshelf to floor standing speakers.
Room size is about 250 sq feet.
Also I am not planning for sub woofer.

Went through few of the threads in the forum.

Budget set as 70K can extend upto 1L if it really better than the rest.

Few models in my mind;
  1. Q Acoustics 3050i
  2. Polk audio signature S55
  3. JBL A190.
  4. Wharfedale diamond 11.3
Also please suggest if any other good speakers are these I have missed.
Kindly input your knowledge and experiences to help me decide on a better Speaker. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
You can explore Indiqaudio platinum achals that retails for 92K. I too have bought them last month after checking lot of high end towers. The achals perform almost at par with 2X priced towers. Lot of FMs have those towers and have posted rave reviews about them on this forum

I have Marantz NR1608 + Marantz MM7025 connected to Boston Acoustics A 360 floor standing speakers. I am also a happy owner of both brand. I like the combo as both compliments each other very well. I like music with low pace and rhythm like R&B, Hip-Hop as combo work great for that. Long listening sessions possible due to laid back sound signature . Some times I felt that I am missing micro details from high frequencies which make sound little polite and non energetic. There are few speakers in my mind which I have auditioned, may be make a better combination with Marantz.
1. Dali Obrien 7 ( auditioned)
2. Monitor Audio Bronze 6 ( auditioned)
3. Paradigm monitor 9/11( auditioned)
4. KEF Q750 (auditioned)
5. Tannoy xt6f if available
6. Fyne audio
7. Triangle Borea BR08

Hope this may give you a general idea about speakers which may sound better than Boston Acoustics.

All Marantz priducts have subdued treble.

If you prefer a brighter treble, change the Marantz electronics

Hi all,

Please help to suggest a pair of floor standing speakers for my home use.

I like a simple stereo set up for both movie and music. ( 50% + 50%).

My current set up is Marantz PM7004 + Boston A26 bookshelf.
I like the sound from Marantz + A26;
In my opinion it is good with Low/base but little soft high and average mid frequencies.

I do not have much experience with current available floor standing speakers.

I am unable to travel and do an audition right now. Long time ago, (~2010s) did audition for few entry level bookshelves. Actually I like the sound of most of the brand speakers then. Below was my experience.

All entry level bookshelves. Don’t remember the models names.
Wharfedale - big sound stage. Felt like sound from a big speakers
Dali - good vocals, base and high,
Monitor audio Bronze- felt little bright.
B&W - Great base & expensive.
Boston A26- Humble sound, good bass, bought this as dealer gave good discounts and thought it will be good match to Marantz as both from same parent company. Anyway it serves well.

All these data may not relevant now as they are long time ago and auditioned only bookshelves

I like bigger sound stage with adequate bass and no harsh high end. Something like a laid back big sound stage.

We will be playing all type of music. pop, jazz, classical, anything feels good.
Formats will be Wav, MP3, flac, Spotify, you tube, etc.

Now plan is to upgrade from bookshelf to floor standing speakers.
Room size is about 250 sq feet.
Also I am not planning for sub woofer.

Went through few of the threads in the forum.

Budget set as 70K can extend upto 1L if it really better than the rest.

Few models in my mind;
  1. Q Acoustics 3050i
  2. Polk audio signature S55
  3. JBL A190.
  4. Wharfedale diamond 11.3
Also please suggest if any other good speakers are these I have missed.
Kindly input your knowledge and experiences to help me decide on a better Speaker. Thanks in advance.

If you are not able to audition in person, read reviews and even see some Youtube videos which will provide some ideas....

There is a difference in sound signature between Stereo integrated amps and AVRs of Marantz...that said....in their stereo integrated line up of amps, there is a difference in the models and Sound quality.....same for their AVR line up...big difference in the NR and SR series....although all models use Audyssey to calibrate and adjust tonal balance ....the Audyssey version differs with each model...I have used / updated to most of these models and there is indeed a difference...with Reference settings as result, I still choose to keep it at FLAT and enjoy a better playback of sources.

Would suggest to raise your query in the Marantz Owners Thread where you will get faster responses / suggestions.

I would suggest add Dali Oberon 5s to your list.

I have the Marantz PM7000N (essentially the same amp as yours, but with network player capability added on) paired with Dali Oberon 5s, and am super happy with the combo.

At the 70k price point, my personal opinion is that the choice really is between the Q Acoustic 3050i and the Dali Oberon 5.

Do you prefer more bass (ie listen to a lot of rock music) - then Q Acoustic 3050i.

Do you listen to Indian classical / vocal music a lot - the Dali Oberon 5s.

Overall, both are really good speakers, and you will be happy with either.

Just my personal view.

As @argho mentioned, Dali & QA are best best for your budget. I was also considering both of them, finally purchased QA 3050i. Message me if you need help with prices, I think I got pretty good deal on both of them.

I have bought AudioIndiq platinum achal recently. I find them good enough to my taste and my room.

In my view, Q Acoustics 3050i has an overpowering base. I liked Polk S60 better than 3050i. However, Polk S 60 had a brighter treble, which I felt was hurting my aging ears. In contrast, one of my friends liked Polk S60 HT set up for his combined music + HT use over Achal and 3050i. I don’t think there are too many review videos on Polk S60. So, you may have to audition them to see if you are going to like it’s distinct sound signature.

I felt that Achal’s signature is similar to that of KEF Q950.
Dileep

Hi All, at last decided and bought Q Acoustic 3050i. Speakers already arrived at home.
Bought from hifi mart. (Thanks Anil).
Family has been impressed by the design, quality and sound. I didn’t listen till now. (I am out of station now). Will update the experience later. Once again thanks to all for your time and kind advice.

Hi All,
Now only got some time to really enjoy the speakers.
They are very good for both movies and music.
Absolutely no regrets on this purchase.
(Low is actually very strong, Mid is adequate, High is good and doesn't fatigue).
All compared to my Boston A26 bookshelf speakers:).
Really love these speakers. Thanks for all the inputs and guidance.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back