Need suggestions for HT system

Dr Sarkar

Good morning
Please offer your expert opinion.
I’m primarily a music listener and doing so on my HK MAS 101 system for past 6 years. The system sounds quite good and I’ve got nothing to complain as such. It doesn’t have any subwoofer but native BSs provide enough bass for my taste. I prefer CDs as my music source and now a days I also enjoy streaming services but always feel the quality is sub per.

Now I’m planning to delve in to the home theatre concept and dedicated a 11 ft X 15 ft room for this purpose. I would like to keep the system simple and cost effective. I’m going to use the system both for music and movie. I have short listed these
AVRs
Marantz 1509 (5.1)
Marantz 1609 (7.2)
Speakers
As front Channels
Polk T50 FS / Wharfedale 225 BS
Rear channels
My existing HK BSs
Subs
I would be open for suggestions
Centre
I’m not planning as of now.
My queries are
1. Does 7.2 is worth investing over 5.1 now in the initial stage as the content available over streaming services mostly consists of 5.1 ? I would like to invest in a good quality avr down the path if I get hooked up in the movie thing.
2. Would the marantz with its 50 watt output per channel be able to drive the FSs adequately? Or I should be going with BSs.
3. Any suggestions for decent quality sub. Budget 20k.
Thanks in advance

Marantz has enough power for your room.
Better to get 1609 as it gives you option of upgrading to 7.2 even if you start with 5.1, and the price difference is not huge. But 5.1 is enough as a staring point for immersive sound experience.

If you can utilize the old bookshelf speakers from MAS 101 then you may be able to save some money and spend on other components.
Subwoofer is very important for home theater and getting a new good quality sub under 30k will be difficult. Either go to the used route or try something like BIC F12, elac debut S10, Polk HTS 10 at least.

If you are using floorstanders then subwoofer may not be required outright. But avoid Polk t50, they are not good. In Polk you can go for signature series or RTi series. Other brands also have plenty of options

Thanks dr_rocket for your valuable suggestions. I can go with other FS brands and extend my budget further. Actually I was told by a dealer that Polk T50’s are good. Any other brands apart from Polk in 35-40 k range?

Centre channel speaker is critical. All dialogue is usually routed to the centre channel.

There are many options for reasonably priced speakers for fronts.
- Pioneer SP B22
- Wharfedale Diamond 220 / 225
- Polk RTI A1 / Signature S15
- Q Acoustics 3010i

Pls buy a matching centre channel speaker.

There are also many options for sub.
I use a Polk sub and I am very happy with it.

If you like Polk :

Front L/R Polk RTi A1 25K
Centre Polk CSi A4 23K
Sub Polk HTS10 36K

Total - 84K at list prices.

You should be able to negotiate at least a 10% discount.

Upgrade your stereo setup if your listening is predominantly music.
Audition a movie track on a good stereo amp and music on a similarly priced AVR. Only then decide which way you want to go.

You can omit centre cannel if only one person is watching. The left and right front channels will create a phantom centre.

Centre channel speaker is critical. All dialogue is usually routed to the centre channel.

There are many options for reasonably priced speakers for fronts.
- Pioneer SP B22
- Wharfedale Diamond 220 / 225
- Polk RTI A1 / Signature S15
- Q Acoustics 3010i

Pls buy a matching centre channel speaker.

There are also many options for sub.
I use a Polk sub and I am very happy with it.
Yes, as critical as centre channel is, either buy a overperformer or skip it all together so that you end up with a Phantom centre. Skipping it will save you some money right now without comprising the front soundstage at the dimensions @Dr Sarkar mentions.

Finalised the Dali Zensor 3 as the L R front speakers.
Regarding avr, I’ve got a good offer for Denon x1400h. It’s in the same price range as of marantz 1509, 1609 avrs. How is Denon with Dali combo for music ?

Last edited:
Finalised the Dali Zensor 3 as the L R front speakers.
Regarding avr, I’ve got a good offer for Denon x1400h. It’s in the same price range as of marantz 1509, 1609 avrs. How is Denon with Dali combo for music ?
Both the 1400 and the 1609 should have similar performance for both movies and music.

I can give you feedback on the Denon x1400h - I have the same AVR and use it for movie watching. Until a year ago I was using it for both music and movies paired with Polk speakers ( TSX330 Towers, TSX 250C center and TSI200 as surround and a PSW10 Sub). Does a wonderful job for movie watching but was underwhelming to me for music. So I got myself a dedicated stereo Amp and new tower speakers and switch between the two amps for music or movie watching.
Go for the 1400h if it's going to be dedicated for movie watching. I'm very happy with its performance while watching Blu-rays.

This year I have upgraded from Denon AVR 2113 to Marantz NR1608. In 5.1 mode Marantz NR1608 run out of power and not able to deliver cinematic dynamics. I will suggest to move on Marantz SR5014 for better performance in movies as well as music. You need to have a great subwoofer for Marantz NR1608 with 100 to 120 Hz cut off for all speakers so that subwoofer will share more load and relieves power load from Marantz NR1608 . In that case you may not get true engulfing cinematic experience as more information is pass to subwoofer.

Finally going for auditions in Sound by Design, Delhi. ill be auditioning
Speakers:
Dali z3
Dali Oberon 3
Dali z7
Dali spektor 6
Q acoustics 3050i

Amp
My existing Harman Kardon mas 101
Couple of stereo amp ( suggestions welcome)

Avr:
Marantz 1609

Anything I’m missing out ?

Finally going for auditions in Sound by Design, Delhi. ill be auditioning
Speakers:
Dali z3
Dali Oberon 3
Dali z7
Dali spektor 6
Q acoustics 3050i

Amp
My existing Harman Kardon mas 101
Couple of stereo amp ( suggestions welcome)

Avr:
Marantz 1609

Anything I’m missing out ?
IMO aim for a good 2.1 set up first. Avr is very important and the next minute it is billed it will loose its value. Get a power full avr. I have used 2400 for a year and it did a good job driving all 7 channels in my room which is 10ft in length and 11-12 feet in width. You can always add speakers later. Lot of us do this mistake by just buying a 5.1 straight

Hi Dr Sarkar,
Sound by design carries emotiva speakers and NAD amps(matches well with dali range). You can check them out too.

@Love4sound Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll keep that in mind. I shall decide after audition.
@msaab90 Thanks you for the info. I’ll definitely listen to them.
For the past few days I’ve gone through various threads and my inference is that one can never be happy with a single AVR for music and movie both. Compromises bound to happen ( at least in the low to mid price range). If some one is serious about music he should buy a good stereo amp and an avr for pure movie experience. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I should not comment amongst the experts. Apologies if I’ve hurt someone.

@Love4sound Thanks for the suggestion. I’ll keep that in mind. I shall decide after audition.
@msaab90 Thanks you for the info. I’ll definitely listen to them.
For the past few days I’ve gone through various threads and my inference is that one can never be happy with a single AVR for music and movie both. Compromises bound to happen ( at least in the low to mid price range). If some one is serious about music he should buy a good stereo amp and an avr for pure movie experience. Please correct me if I’m wrong. I should not comment amongst the experts. Apologies if I’ve hurt someone.
For average listening avr is also good for music. A lot of FM’s who actually want both music and movies settle for marantz. Check out the 5013 model. You should be getting a very good discount as 5014 is out. Check hifi mart they always come up with deals for old models

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back