Need suggestions: HT for a 13ft X 25ft room - budget 50K to 100K INR

nistalavsm

Hi All,
I'm planning to replace my 11 year old HTIB (Philips MX3950D). Went through various threads in the forum and still not able to decide on a good HT set. Checked out Yamaha YHT-299 (offer price is INR 36,000) at Reliance Digital and it is so so. Not really impressed with the output. They also a have custom made combination of Yamaha components - HTR 3067 + ns150 + ns8390 for INR 47,500. This combination sounded much better than YHT299, but the problem is that I don't have space for the floor standing speakers (NS8390). After going through various threads, it looks like I have to go with separate AVR + speakers set-up. From what I gathered from the discussions here, Marantz NR1506 or DENON X1200W or Marantz 5010 seem to be good AVRs. I am still not clear on the options for good speakers. Could the experts in this forum please help me in finalizing a good set of AVR+Speakers? I'm from Hyderabad and do not mind buying from either online or in store. My usage is 25% FM radio + 25% movies (English blue-rays) + 50% music (mostly indian classical). Thanks a lot for your time. My budget is 50K, but I can stretch up to a max of 100K if I see the VFM :)

Hi All,
I'm planning to replace my 11 year old HTIB (Philips MX3950D). Went through various threads in the forum and still not able to decide on a good HT set. Checked out Yamaha YHT-299 (offer price is INR 36,000) at Reliance Digital and it is so so. Not really impressed with the output. They also a have custom made combination of Yamaha components - HTR 3067 + ns150 + ns8390 for INR 47,500. This combination sounded much better than YHT299, but the problem is that I don't have space for the floor standing speakers (NS8390). After going through various threads, it looks like I have to go with separate AVR + speakers set-up. From what I gathered from the discussions here, Marantz NR1506 or DENON X1200W or Marantz 5010 seem to be good AVRs. I am still not clear on the options for good speakers. Could the experts in this forum please help me in finalizing a good set of AVR+Speakers? I'm from Hyderabad and do not mind buying from either online or in store. My usage is 25% FM radio + 25% movies (English blue-rays) + 50% music (mostly indian classical). Thanks a lot for your time. My budget is 50K, but I can stretch up to a max of 100K if I see the VFM :)

It looks like you mostly listen to music. Movies themselves have a lot of 2 channel music embedded in them.
Given you do not have space for larger speakers, sats/sub with an AVR is the only viable option. Or a lifestyle systems from the likes of Bose or something cheaper.
If you are willing to down mix BD content to 2 channel, you can opt for a good integrated amp with stand mount speakers. You can easily get a setup within 50K if you look for used equipment.
Indian classical music playback will benefit from good clean amplification and a speaker pair capable of decent rendition.

Cheers,
Raghu

Hi,

There are a lot of combinations and variations and brands available.

If you are open to pre owned check Hi Fi ads....

There is a slim 7.1 Marantz NR1605 for sale..

Same person selling BIC America 5.1 speakers (along with warranty).

This will add to 107000/- it's an awesome combo....i heard these BICs speakers from the authorised dealer...mind blowing indeed...suitable for all...music, movies and gaming....

Denon AVR-X1200W Bundle with Polk Audio (2) TSx 440T - how does this look? TSX 440T are available locally. Is it OK to buy Denon AVR online (Amazon.in)?

Hi All,

You have multiple options with varying degree of sound quality. To stick to 50k budget you will have to either see a pre used system or go in for a HTiB solution from the likes of Sony such as: Sony BDVN7200W/BME12 Blu-ray CD/DVD Or similar.

Or

You could go with separates. Here again you could pick a receiver with a matching set of 5.1 speakers or mix and match the speakers as per your taste, time and budget. Examples: MARANTZ NR1506 5.2CH SLIMLINE HOME THEATRE RECEIVER WITH WI-FI, BLUETOOTH, AIRPLAY, 4K UHD & 3D PASS-THORUGH or any similar receiver from Denon, Yamaha, Pioneer, Onkyo, etc. For speaker systems you can checkJamo S-35-HCS-BLK 5.0 (No Sub woofer with this) Or Harman Kardon HKTS 16BQ 5.1 Or Similar.

Also keep an eye on OLX for some super deals:

Klipsch Quintet 5.0

Bose Acoustimass 10 series iii

B&W bookshelf Speaker Pair

Do a thorough check of seller and audition the speakers when buying from OLX. Its a mixed world there.:eek:hyeah:

Keep us updated with your search.

Regards,
MaSh

I've auditioned Denon 1200 with Polk Audio TSx 440T and it sounded much much better than YHT 299 or other Yamaha components that I auditioned earlier. What is the difference between Polk Audio TSX series and RTI series?

Hi

RTi series is the next level of Polks then is the LSim

hear the RTI bookshelf with DSP Pro550 sub and you will be surprised with the performance.....of course use your kind of music....

Denon is a pretty decent avr. If you are not living in an apartment and would like to listen at high volumes 1200 may be a bit under powered for your room. Mine is 17' x 16'. I have to crank up the volume to 60% for a decent volume. 2200 may be better as it is 95W per channel compared to 80W for the former.

After reading reviews and recommendations on this forum, I'll go with Denon 2200/2300, instead of 1200, as the difference is only $100 (I'm getting one from the US). I'll be buying the speakers either locally in Hyderabad or order online (less likely).

Finally, I have ordered Wharfedale Diamond 225 pair on hifhmart (after contemplating a lot on the idea of getting Polk RTI A3s and CSI A4 from USA and then dropping that idea). What could be a decent center channel speaker to go with the 225s?

On the AVR front, I'm still confused between Denon 2200/3200 and Marantz NR1607. After listening to my cousin's set-up with Denon 2200 & Bose Acoustimas 15, I must say that I am disappointed with the overall performance. It is no better than my 10+ year old Philips HTIB. So, thinking of getting Marantz NR1607, instead of Denon 2200/3200.

I also have a couple of other questions - in future, I would like to get floor standers. In that case, can, I use Wharfedale Diamond 225s as surrounds? Can I reuse any of the speakers from my current Philips HTIB? My current system is this: https://www.cnet.com/products/philips-mx3950d-home-theater-system/specs/

Finally, I have ordered Wharfedale Diamond 225 pair on hifhmart (after contemplating a lot on the idea of getting Polk RTI A3s and CSI A4 from USA and then dropping that idea). What could be a decent center channel speaker to go with the 225s?
WD 220C will be perfect to go with 225s

On the AVR front, I'm still confused between Denon 2200/3200 and Marantz NR1607. After listening to my cousin's set-up with Denon 2200 & Bose Acoustimas 15, I must say that I am disappointed with the overall performance. It is no better than my 10+ year old Philips HTIB. So, thinking of getting Marantz NR1607, instead of Denon 2200/3200.
Audition is the key here..... If you got the budget look at Marantz SR series or Denon x3300

I also have a couple of other questions - in future, I would like to get floor standers. In that case, can, I use Wharfedale Diamond 225s as surrounds? Can I reuse any of the speakers from my current Philips HTIB? My current system is this: https://www.cnet.com/products/philips-mx3950d-home-theater-system/specs/
WD 225 has surrounds.... you will not be doing justice to these speakers.
Philips speakers are 4 ohms hence might not be compatible with the 8ohms AVRs.

The NR1607 feature description says "The NR1607's power amp section features discrete high-current output devices for superb sound with both music and movies, with, identical power on all 7 channels for precision sound. Rated at 50 watts per channel, the NR1607 features low-impedance drive capability, for excellent speaker control, and is compatible with 4 ohm speakers too." Doesn't it mean that it can drive 4 ohms Philips speakers?

In Marantz SR series, what is the equivalent of NR1607? (At this time, I'm not looking beyond 7.2)

Last edited:
Hi

I can vouch for the NR1607...i use the same with Polk RTiA1 series speakers....drives effortlessly......

SR series is expensive and outputs double the power of the NR series....HDAM circuitry is the other advantage here with 7.1 preouts in case you chose to add powered speakers in future and also the next level Audyssey setup .....

I used both, kept changing models.....works well and effortlessly....you will not be disappointed for sure!

NR1607 is $699 and SR6010 is $799 on Amazon. And I don't mind the extra $100 for the SR series, if it is justified. Shall I go ahead with SR6010? (Again, I will not get a chance to audition any of these.)

NR1607 is $699 and SR6010 is $799 on Amazon. And I don't mind the extra $100 for the SR series, if it is justified. Shall I go ahead with SR6010? (Again, I will not get a chance to audition any of these.)

Avoid online purchases, as you might be void from manufacturer warranty. HifiMart is genuine, you can look at this site for genuine pricing and also purchase.
Audition it before going for the purchase, worth it while you are spending so much money.

Hello Everyone!
I am new to this forum and new to Hi Fi audio also. I also want to buy my first HT 5.1.
Got a chance to audition Pioneer vsx329 + 1135xs and Polk audio Ows5 + Denon Amplifier + Tsx 250c +Dsi660. Need your reviews on the above or should go for some other combo. My main preference is Movie , Music , and Gaming through my PS4.

Thanks

I got my 225s yesterday and just for testing, I hooked them to my Philips receiver as front L & R. They are sounding much better than my old speakers, while playing music. However, I noticed that the difference is not much for movies (with 5.1 channel sound). Of course, as far as MP3s are concerned, they are sounding great. Do I need to change anything? I don't have many options on my receiver, as it is 12+ years old, except adjusting the volume levels individually for each speaker.

Hi

Once you hook them to the Marantz, you will notice the difference,

If you are keen on local purchase, contact MZ Audio directly and speak to Sayeed....possibly he can get you a good deal on the NR series or SR series....

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back