Need suggestions on 50" plasma !!

user1524

Hey setting up my HT finally.
Finally got my sound setup somewhat sorted and now it's time to pick a television.

Here are my options considering after the sound system purchase I'm left with a tight budget choosing the most apt TV I can afford.

1: Panasonic 50 Inches Full HD 3D Plasma TH-P50UT30D
2: Samsung 51 Inches 3D Full HD Plasma PS51D550
3: Panasonic VIERA 50 Inches Full HD Plasma TH-P50V20

Havent herd great reviews about LG so been watching these products over the last few weeks

Purpose :Full HD TV, High Res Movies / Gaming. Not a big fan of the 3D concept but if it comes along il be happier :p.
Also 50 inches is what I'm looking at and purchase will be in bombay.

Looking forward to your opinions guys!!

Hey setting up my HT finally.
Finally got my sound setup somewhat sorted and now it's time to pick a television.

Here are my options considering after the sound system purchase I'm left with a tight budget choosing the most apt TV I can afford.

1: Panasonic 50 Inches Full HD 3D Plasma TH-P50UT30D
2: Samsung 51 Inches 3D Full HD Plasma PS51D550
3: Panasonic VIERA 50 Inches Full HD Plasma TH-P50V20

Havent herd great reviews about LG so been watching these products over the last few weeks

Purpose :Full HD TV, High Res Movies / Gaming. Not a big fan of the 3D concept but if it comes along il be happier :p.
Also 50 inches is what I'm looking at and purchase will be in bombay.

Looking forward to your opinions guys!!

Mate, what is the upper limit to your budget.....

What are the individual prices, out of the 3 options depending on your budget you can safely go the v20 and the 51 inch samsung (for 3D) which is better in my opinion than the UT30.

What are the individual prices, out of the 3 options depending on your budget you can safely go the v20 and the 51 inch samsung (for 3D) which is better in my opinion than the UT30.

Yesterday I took demo of Panny 50ST30, i just could not watch its 3D for even 2-3 mins at a stretch. I felt like having headache and for some reason every 10 seconds there was a second or two of juddering of flickering of screen (watever the term) which really broke my confidence and passion of owning a 3D set.

Is it me alone who has experienced this or there are others who can second this?

Yesterday I took demo of Panny 50ST30, i just could not watch its 3D for even 2-3 mins at a stretch. I felt like having headache and for some reason every 10 seconds there was a second or two of juddering of flickering of screen (whatever the term) which really broke my confidence and passion of owning a 3D set.

Is it me alone who has experienced this or there are others who can second this?

You are not alone. I have experienced what you report.

It would appear that you were using 1st generation glasses with either a weak battery, too far from the screen, too great an angle to the screen, excessive white or infrared light spoiling the signal, the transmitter was blocked, or too much schmutz on the Ir receiver in the glasses. That is the usual source of the flickering you report.

The second generation glasses are improved for distance from the panel, rechargeable battery, off axis viewing, and they are much lighter and come in three sizes. Comfort and fit are important to prevent eye strain and headaches. The new glasses have a switch to allow 2D viewing for those that are sensitive. The reason to view in 2D is so others can be enjoying a program in 3D.

It does take several hours viewing over a few weeks to let your eyes relax and enjoy the effect. Eyes are amazing. They work with the brain to create a 3D image of what most of us see, but are in fact constantly moving to cover a blind spot and the image is seldom stereoscopic.

Give 3D a proper look and significant test period prior to giving up. In America almost all my 3D films are also shown in the same multiplex in 2D at the same time. 30 to 40% of patrons chose 2D. I am not sure if it the three dollar extra for the glasses or people with headaches from prior experience that fill the 2D screenings.

70k would be pushing it !!!

hmmm

samsung PS51D550 is around 70K
panasonic UT30 is around 85K

panasonic 50V20 is aound 86K

all online listed prices ... havent checked the stores for these specific model prices

thanks

I am controlling my lust for 3D as well. It may not be worth it as the technology will evolve quite fast in next 3-4 years. Also if you are watching 3D in group, you will need a high number of glasses.

Yesterday I took demo of Panny 50ST30, i just could not watch its 3D for even 2-3 mins at a stretch. I felt like having headache and for some reason every 10 seconds there was a second or two of juddering of flickering of screen (watever the term) which really broke my confidence and passion of owning a 3D set.

Hi, I own a panasonic p50st30 and I also have lot of 3d bluray discs. The 3d experience in panasonic plasma is much better than any led tvs out there.
Your bad experience may be due to faulty equipment. Don't giveup. take a demo in another shop. If you still feel headache, they active shutter 3d is not for you, so go and try passive 3d like lg5700 or 6500, which will never cause headache.

70k would be pushing it !!!

hmmm

samsung PS51D550 is around 70K
panasonic UT30 is around 85K

panasonic 50V20 is aound 86K

all online listed prices ... havent checked the stores for these specific model prices

thanks

50V20 is available for 65k in hyderabad TMC.
Best of the lot and the cheapest.

Getting the UT30 for 66k and the V20 for 79k precisely.
UT30 sits perfectly in my budget and more extended reviews about it ?

Getting the UT30 for 66k and the V20 for 79k precisely.
UT30 sits perfectly in my budget and more extended reviews about it ?

Mate....u can also try for VT20 for approx 70k to 72k at Croma. Outlets to check for stock are Oberoi Mall, goregaon East and Mira Road / Dahisar.

And about PQ compared to the Panasonic ?

D550 is a worthy competitor of ST30, UT30 is poorer cousin of ST, so you can relate now.

Check this link for more info: Samsung D550 review - FlatpanelsHD

Summary of the review posted here: D550 lacks most of Samsungs Smart TV features and the stripped-down TV only implements USB playback and DLNA. However, if you want added media functionality you can always connect an external media box, which is often recommended anyways.

Samsung D550 is a clear example of how manufacturers take advantage of display technology developed for previous years high-end models. Samsung D550 is not competing with Samsungs own D8000 plasma model or Panasonics VT30 flagship but it offers some of the picture characteristics of much more expensive plasma TVs that were sold a few years back. For example, D550 is a great performer in sports, games and action movies because of its high motion detailing and low trailing. It is not on par with Panasonic GT30 but then again, D550 is considerably cheaper. And D550 also offers good 3D picture quality and HD picture quality. However, black depth is subpar and we experienced some buzzing from the panel.

To sum up our findings in a few words I think it is reasonable to call Samsung D550 a solid mid-end TV. It offers value-for-money picture quality in a large format. The End.

So if the price difference between the D550 and the ST30 is roughly 10-12k (with a pair of 3D glasses) its a better buy ?

How much D550 and the ST30 cost in Bangalore. Someone tells me that D550 is around 65K with 2 pair of glasses. Not sure if this is MRP or negotiated price. Any pointers?

Cheers
PR

So if the price difference between the D550 and the ST30 is roughly 10-12k (with a pair of 3D glasses) its a better buy ?

51D550 cost approx 63k with 2x glasses
50ST30 costs approx 85k(that to very difficult to get this price also) with 1x glass + extra glass = 8k (but still infrared and bulkier than samsung)

It comes to around 25k minimum difference

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back