Need suggestions on a stereo amplifier with bookshelf speakers

kingshuk

Hi. I am looking to purchase an amplifier and bookshelf speakers. The use would be for music and movies. It will be meant for room of 10*12 ( little bigger in future hopefully :) ). I do not plan to add subwoofer to this setup, just want to enjoy quality music in the bedroom. I have zeroed in on Norge 1515 and Norge 2030 for amp. Speakers would be Norge Nano.I want to keep it at a max of 15k.
Please let me know if the above amp and speakers are suitable. I do not know which amp will suit the speakers. I do not want a lot of power so I was inclined towards Norge1515. Please do suggest if there are any other speakers or amp I should go for within my budget of 15k.

PS: I am new to this forum so apologize if I have posted in d wrong place.

If interested in pre-owned you have a very good option:

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/60357-marantz-pm-6003-integrated-amplifier.html

It is in the same city so worth checking.

Thanks Vinay, it is tempting but that is exceeding my budget as I want the amp and speakers within 15k. Cause I am saving for a Turn Table :p

I think I have made up my mind about Norge. The only hassle is getting a reply from them. So with Norge Nano, which Norge amp should I get? Is it Norge 1515 or 2030?

Both should work fine. If possible try to audition.

However, I will again suggest to check pre-owned Marantz as I believe the latest model in the same range is more than 35K. Plus it has very good inbuilt phonostage if you are planning to add turn-table. Not sure but you can try to negotiate a bit. Also suggest to consider other speakers. You can check Pioneer BS22 bookshelf, Polk entry level bookshelf or other speakers in the range of 10-12K to pair with it. You will not have urge to upgrade in near future after this.

You have another sale for speakers that should be good:

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/55167-pioneer-avr-ba-bookshelves-polk-sub-2.html

P.S. I have no affiliation with seller

Last edited:
Please stretch it to go for Norge 2060 and you will not regret. Power rating is higher and Handles better. I am using it with Boston Acoustics A26. You can try Wharfdale bookshelf or even the Pioneer BS22 or Polk as said by Vinay. Norge speakers I am not really sure about.

Thanks for all the valuable suggestions. The reason I do not want to go for a higher power rated amplifier is due to the reason that I want to get an amplifier for my living room in the near future with 2 floor standing speakers. I have a Sonodyne Power pack ( 2 genie's and a sub) for the last 10 years and I still enjoy the richness of the sound. However I would disturb you all about the 5.1 amp later :). Currently I just need this stereo setup for a rich, warm relaxing sound.
That being said I am getting tempted to get the 2030. Spoke to Laxman finally from Norge and hopefully he would send me the details on how to purchase. I guess I will just have to take a risk with the Norge speakers. I am not sure how long this Thread will remain open but if it does ,I will do let you all know how it turned out once Laxman comes to me rescue :p

@Vinay, I will try to negotiate on the Marantz and God willing if I succeed (which I doubt) , all the combinations change :p

Cheers

have you looked at something like bose soundlink 3 ?

they will accept bluetooth from your laptop or iphone android as well and are quite perfect for small rooms.

maybe a cambridge audio minx 100 ??

regards

I finally ordered Norge 2030 and the Nano Speakers and Laxman from Norge said I should get it by this weekend. Thanks again for all the suggestions. Much appreciated. I will let you all know how it sounds once I get it. :)

@mpw , I did think of Bose sound link mini and other portable devices but I wanted to stick to the more orthodox way. I did hear the Bose sound link color, JBL flip/charge, Amethyst and they all sound good. Maybe just not perfect when you crank it up.

Received the Norge 2030 amp and Norge Nano few days ago. Apologize for the delay, but in a festive mood right now. :) Will post pics soon.
Now for the review from a Noob. The speakers can handle soft rock/classical/pop/ jazz etc brilliantly although I don't think it is suitable from heavy metal. The amp/ speakers perform well and does not break up at high volumes. However at mid range its at its best. I wish I could have gone for Boston. But I was not expecting the sky with my budget :p and it does fulfill my wish. After the festive season , primary job will be to hunt for LP's in this forum and Then hopefully a Turntable:) . Thanks again for all the suggestions.

Till then have a nice one

The speakers can handle soft rock/classical/pop/ jazz etc brilliantly although I don't think it is suitable from heavy metal.

On the contrary metal music should be relatively easy for the speakers to reproduce. The reasons are:
1. Metal / distortion guitars are already compressed in dynamics. And most of the bands prefer devoting a large percentage of their quota of decibels to the guitars. Soft rock, pop, classical on the other hand has relatively few instruments that have compressed dynamic range. Classical music has very little energy in the high frequencies, so it may not be discerning enough for the tweeters.

However, electronic music is usually very hard for speakers to reproduce - because of vast frequency spectrum engaged, very fast transients, and quite a vast dynamic range.

Long story in short: Metal music has usually very less dynamic range, therefore less accurate (with respect to transient response) speakers can also get away easily.

2. Since the major chunk of sound is distortion, a little bit of speaker distortion can not be felt easily. Whereas in case of clean music, one can immediately start making out if the speakers are on the verge.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back