Need to buy a LCD asap-help!!

harry10

HI,
I am in a dilemma.
Wish to gift my parents a 32 inch lcd as a diwali gift.
Their primary viewing will be Tata sky and an occasional move via usb.

Have selected these 2 tvs-
KLV-32CX420 : CX420 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India
and
KLV-32NX520 : NX520 Series : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

The difference while comparing on Sony india site is -
Product Comparison : BRAVIA HD TV (LED & LCD) : Sony India

1.-NX520 has digital noise reduction and Cx420 does not.
2.- NX520 can swivel/tilt and cx420 cant.
3.-Cx420 has a light sensor and NX520 does not.

Rest all the features are same.
CX420 - 34900.
NX520- 37500.

So kindly suggest which one to buy and are there any other better options available?

Also i came across this on Sony site- http://www.sony.co.in/support/resources/en_IN/html/Warranty_Information/ExtendedWarranty_SID.html

Is it worth to spend 2k for another 2 year warranty on the tv?

Last edited:
Hi Harry,

In case u r open to buy from grey market...than u can get 40" CX520...@ 35K.....This is much better LCD than above....Moreover, this is 40 Inch...
Just my 2 cents

Hi Amit-
Unfortunately the place where lcd has to be placed can only accomodate 32 inches.
Isnt CX520 and CX420 the same lcds?

When i went to SOny showroom they informed me that CX520 is not sold in India and all the ones are available in grey are from bangkok etc.

The CX520 comes with the newer X-reality processor which is better then BE3 based tvs.

Sony india did sell the CX520 for some reason they stopped selling in instead replaced it with the inferior CX420 series.

In the grey market you can get a 32EX520 for the price you pay in showroom for the 32NX520

Any particular reason going for Sony only....
The USB port in Sony cannot read all the file formats compared to a Samsung.

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk

Thanks for replies guys.

I am getting CX520 in grey for 28-29k. When i can get cx420 with warranty for 34900. So i feel for 5k peace of mind is better.
And i know it has formats issue but my parents will spend 99% time watching tata sky so not a big deal.

I am open to any other brand as well if there is any better lcd suggest me the model and will check it out.

Thanks for replies guys.

I am getting CX520 in grey for 28-29k. When i can get cx420 with warranty for 34900. So i feel for 5k peace of mind is better.
And i know it has formats issue but my parents will spend 99% time watching tata sky so not a big deal.

I am open to any other brand as well if there is any better lcd suggest me the model and will check it out.

Go for the CX42, and its wise to go for the extended warranty, it will add 2K more but you will get 3 yrs peace of mind. No one can predict when the display can go kaput. Its wise to spend 2k and have a peace of mind about the tv for next three years.

Happy hunting bro !!!

@bijay- Thanks.. Am still thinking and a little tinted for cx420 now.

Can someone shed light on the difference between X-reality processor nd BE3 ones. Cos most Sony tvs available have BE3 and CX520 has a X-reality processor. What is the difference?

@bijay- Thanks.. Am still thinking and a little tinted for cx420 now.

Can someone shed light on the difference between X-reality processor nd BE3 ones. Cos most Sony tvs available have BE3 and CX520 has a X-reality processor. What is the difference?

The BE3 was first introduced in 09 its now found in low end sony models.
where as the X-reality is Sony made chip launched in 2011 models,the x-reality has a better upscaler and deinterlacer.

This increases my dilemma.
I cant find anywhere cx520 with warranty.
What to do?

Well you can save a lot of money by buying from the grey market.the X-reality however doesn't support NTFS nor does it play mkv,but has smart tv features such as web browser,you tube/facebook/twitter/skype etc.

You can also consider the samsung D580 plays all formats but lacks the smart tv features,it may come with a SPVA panel.

See TV is for my parents. They wont be using smart tv features such as web browser,you tube/facebook/twitter/skype etc. So thats not an issue.

I am not considering samsung just cos of the panel lottery thing going on otherwise it would be my first choice considering how satisfied and happy i am for my samsung plasma.

As for LG and Panasonic as per my idea their PQ is alrite but Sony is better than them in terms of PQ itself.

As for grey market i was open for it but now the prices have increased and CX520-30k. So just to save 5k i dont see logic of compromising the warranty. Only if i could get it atleast 10k cheaper in grey or from somewhere with warranty i can buy it eyes closed.

Now my Q is if CX420 is the best choice i am left with and will it suffice?

i'm a Sony 2011 CX42 FHD Lcd Tv owner myself (which perhaps has the best Sony tv usb video media support for this year),but still find the usb playback against my other samsung tv almost pathetic! Though the sony cx42 with BE3 p.e supports ntfs & reads/plays sd/hd avi's,mp4 & mkv,(a great feat for sony as no higher end 2011 tvwith X-Reality p.e does that) however it doesn't read subs in any format, doesn't play .dts audio track,nor have any custom zoom & many mp4 or mkv videos plays corrupted. P.Q is however very good & that's the silver lining & saving grace here. Nowadays,almost everybody(spl the budget conscious indian consumers) seems to want a single piece solution for all their video playing needs & save money on paying for extra h/w m.p,hence the importance of usb playability & support on their tv..but sony is quite cringy here & seems to defy the trend.I have No such complaint against Sony tv & my Cx42,but their tv usb compatibility really sucks!I would have been indeed a much happier Sony tv owner,if they indeed followed the trend!

I just wrote this to make the would be Sony tv owners aware of the issues & give appropriate weight to their preferences & make a correct informed decision!

Also for switching brands to Samsung which (apart from panel lottery) supports allmost all formats, u will find a difference in picture,as often P.Q is very subjective...some like Samsung & some Sony....i returned a samsung 40Lcd & brought a Sony Cx42.There is difference between them,it all depends on what u prefer..Samsung imo offers a very dynamic rich dazzling type of picture out of the box(which many prefer) & also much more configurable picture settings in comparative series models...& add to it a very good inbuilt media player at a more vfm price. Sony has has perhaps the Better natural picture, the Best Panels & that Golden monicker of tag "Sony"!

So it's all upto u, but whatever, demo tv's b4 u buy anything..that's Most Imp!

Finally,above anything else,since the tv is meant for ur aging parents,i would honestly opine that getting a tv locally with national warranty would b the Best wise decision,since peace of mind (with co. guaranteed assurance) is always paramount for Elders!

Last edited:
Just checked this- Samsung LED TV UA32D5000. I can get this for 37k on ebay with samsung warranty. I
s this a good deal?
Is this tv better than Sony ex420?
Is there any panel lottery thing with Samsung Leds as well?

Do check out Toshiba. Plays more formats on USB than Sony. Pq is at par to BE3. Price is much less.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back