Need to finalize speakers-pls help

shiva07

Need your valuable suggestions (as usual) to finalize a pair of towers for my brand new marantz PM7004. I auditioned several speakers (Polk audio, Aviano 6, Heco, MA M4, Dali Zensor, EPOS M16i, EPIC 5, warf 9.5, 9.6,10.6..over the last month and a half..

I mainly listen to indian film music and little bit of western. Primary liking is towards rich bass and treble and I like bright sound.

Above all the speakers that I have auditioned, within the 35 K bugdet,I liked the warf Diamond 9.5 the best and then the MA M4. Rest of them were either beyond budget or I did not appreciate their sound signature for my taste of music.

Knowledgeable folks pls advise:

1) will the MA M6 (which is in the same price range 35-36 k as that of warf 9.5 - I am yet to audition this) will this speaker be better for my kind of listening than the warf 9.5? ie, delivering better bass and other details?

2) The MA M6 having 3+1 drivers, will this deliver a better bass and details compared to warf 9.5? To be honest, it was difficult to tell the diff betwen warf 9.5 and M4 (except that warf sounded good at relatively higher volume)

3) will the PM 7004 be sufficient enough to drive the MA M6? 9.5 sounded better only at relatively higher volumes.

4) I have an onkyo SR TX 607 which I will use with the tower speakers that I will buy. If M6 is an option with Marantz for stereo listening, will this match with onkyo? I am planning to use the pre out of onkyo to feed into Marantz so that the front speakers can be used for both stereo as well as HT.

5) If I choose M6, should I necessarly choose only monitor centers or can I go with warf center which are in the same price range? will they perform well as a team? I will be using my sony bookshelves for sorround.

Although I am yet to audition the M6 with my amp, mentally I am inclined to go with M6 as against warf 9.5 because of

1) better looks:lol:
2) higher sensitivity as compared to warf
3) 2 mid bass drivers and 1 for deep bass (as specified in the specs) as I like relatively heavier bass
4) Since I liked M4, I am assuming that M6 must be even better.

The warf dealer says that the warf's cones are much superior compared to any other brand but MA has polypropelene base. Not really sure whether this should be of concern.

I am planning to audition only the M6 and will have to decide between these
2 only as my budget is limited to 35k for the FS and need another 10-13 K to add a good front speaker.

Any suggestion/help/comments/advise..highly appreciated.

Thanks
Shiva

Hi shiva,

I suggest you audition the MS Aviano-6, it is very neutral sounding and rich in bass, it will be an ideal pair for your Marantz PM 7004. I have PM 6003 with MS Aviano-2 bookshelves and it is very ideal match. Pl audition my suggestions before you write your cheque, on another note MA Bronze or silver series are also bright when paired with Marantz, pl also audition them.

Hope this helps( or confuses :lol:)

N.Murali

I mainly listen to indian film music and little bit of western. Primary liking is towards rich bass and treble and I like bright sound.QUOTE said:
Try the Sonodyne Sonus 2605 V2. This should come quite close to what you are looking for. I am saying this because i have an eclectic collection which includes (besides the above) Paradigm monitor 7, Wharfadale 9.6, and the Dali concept 6. The 2605 is truly awesome and is as good as any other comparable foreign brand. Unfortunately Sonodyne is a poor marketeer.Go to Sonodyne.com and you can find all the details.

Cheers!!

Among the two that you have liked the most, I suggest the Wharfedales. However I feel that they work better with amps like NAD (which have a good low frequency response and punch).

Quad models are another option which you should listen with your present amp. I have been told that they work well together.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

@Murali, I did audition the aviano 6 and MA M4 and i felt that the aviano was less brighter than MA 4 with the same setup. But I checked that with CA 605.

I am in chennai this Friday and planning to check the MA M6 and also the BR series as you suggested. Problem is Bronze series costs upwards of 50K and BR 6 is 70k apx. Let me see whether the incremental cost is worth paying for the music I listen to. I also need some money to upgrade to a good quality center as well....

I will also check the aviano series once with the Marantz. Can you pls let me know who is the dealer in chennai?

Thanks
Shiva

For BR6, just be cognizant that it is intended for relatively large rooms so make sure your listening area caters for that. Else, it might become very boomy. My experience with BX6 (the older version of BR6) was that it sounded much louder than Paradigm M9, Energy CF-50 speakers for the same reference level (~-26 dB on the AVR).

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

@Murali, I did audition the aviano 6 and MA M4 and i felt that the aviano was less brighter than MA 4 with the same setup. But I checked that with CA 605.

I am in chennai this Friday and planning to check the MA M6 and also the BR series as you suggested. Problem is Bronze series costs upwards of 50K and BR 6 is 70k apx. Let me see whether the incremental cost is worth paying for the music I listen to. I also need some money to upgrade to a good quality center as well....

I will also check the aviano series once with the Marantz. Can you pls let me know who is the dealer in chennai?

Thanks
Shiva

Pl check Cressida AV Zone for demo of MS Aviano-6. They have their website, you can have their Telephone nos from there.

N.Murali

milestone, my living room size is 14 ft by 25 ft with a listening area of 14 by 12. Do you think the BR will be too loud for this size?

milestone, my living room size is 14 ft by 25 ft with a listening area of 14 by 12. Do you think the BR will be too loud for this size?

Shiva,

Presuming your living area is an extension of your listening area, I would believe BX6 should be good for the area. They are definitely very nice set of speakers with a rich sound. However, as you mentioned, they are indeed pricey (and we have not even started speaking of their silver series!).

See if you can catch a pair of the outgoing BR6 which were available to me here in Bangalore for 51K.

Thanks MSS. I am definitely planning to audition BR6 and aviano 6 in chennai this week with the 7004.Could u pls let me know who has offered BR6 at the price you have mentioned? May be I can check if I like the BR6.

Thanks
Shiva

Speak with Palani from Audio Planet (behind K'mangla BDA complex). He has one boxed set of BR6 for which he quoted 51K to me, though he has also sold other boxed pairs of BR6 at ~54k too. Plus he has one demo pair which I guess can go for even lower rate :) I will PM you his number.

Btw, he stocks Mordaunt Short too so you can check out Aviano 6 too over there.

Last edited:
Shiva, MS Aviano 6 would be the best choice if you need more bass. But i am not sure how it perform with Marantz. Check out Elac FS 58.5 model. It works well with Onkyo AVRs.
I got a quote of 41K in Bangalore for Elac.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. Spent almost a full day auditioning at chennai and finally took the MA BR6 as i liked the sound signature of this. Bright, rich sound with great bass and treble when paired with my Marantz PM7004. Was about to pick the M6 but after hearing BR6, this couldnt resist taking this as the sound was natural in this. The MS aviano 6 was not as bright compared to the MA series. The best part was that this being an outgoing model (BX series have come now) i got a great price on this from the distributor audio people. Both Abrar and Jalal very patiently gave me a demo of all range of speakers from the MA stable with my amp and it was a very nice experience dealing with them. Also took a center speaker to upgrade my existing sony with the MA BX. I am going to use my existing sony bookshelves for the rear surround (not sure whether this will be an overkill but need to try ).

Special thanks to Murali for suggesting me to try the Bronze series else I would not have tried as the MRP was 69 k and certainly was not in my budget:).

Thanks
Shiva

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back