Need to Import Used Subwoofer from USA to INDIA

Chanddolby

Hi All,
I need your help in Importing a used Subwoofer from USA to India..
Any one here in HiFiVision Could you Please let me know how can I import a used Subwoofer from USA?
Please give me suggestions as soon as possible..

Hello Chanddolby,

First let me teach some Maths ,So that you could proceed deciding importing the Sub from US.

30-35% of the products actual value would be charged as Import.
Actual value is Bill value(since its used, it should be sold via a bill from seller)+ Shipping cost+ 1-3% for Insurance.

So say 10KG Sub woofer you getting it for 100$ +200$ for shipping = 300$

So total landing cost of the Sub would be around 400 (100$ as 30-35% Tax)

Conclusion If you are really getting nice offer say 70%,Then its worth importing Subwoofer, Since they are too heavy too.

Above all, If they dont have 230-240 Switch, then you need to spend on the Step down transformer too which adds another 60-70$ to run the Subwoofer.

In US I can find a powered sub woofer any day for under $30 for the run of the mill sony bony types, and up to 100 for velodyne and high end.
70% of new is outrageously high, try 10-20% of original
Of course that is on the mass market stuff, the high end is more valued, selling between 20 and 30% of new price. Older it is, the larger it seems to be compared to its new cost.
For example, A new fisher 500 was barely 299 in 1960, used its over 500 now on average.
The 80's and 90's stuff invariably is @ 10% of new.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hi Audio_Freek & Srinath_Sheshadri,

Thank you for your prompt reply and very good information..
I heard that used items are not allowed to import in to INDIA,is it true? Please clarify this confusion..
So customs are going to charge Importing duties on Subwoofer cost according to the bill + Total shipping cost of the Subwoofer, am I right?

Importing subwoofer from USA will be expensive because of weight,dimension and custom duty, it is better to buy in local. If you are curious to know what the cost will be, go to borderlinx and use their pricing tool.

unless you are in the US, have an expensive sub you've already bought which can be converted easily to 220V operation , and luggage allowance to spare, I would not recommend it

Hi

There are good subwoofers available in India, even the American ones like BIC America etc etc.....you need to evaluate the cost etc. etc....first make up your mind on the brand, size, output, type (ported / not ported) (front Firing / Down Firing).

Once this is done then go to dealers and audition as many as possible with your kind of music so you get an idea how it sounds.....then based on performance, appearance and budget.....shortlist and finalise.....all the best

I have never seen a 110-220 switchable sub, and I have B&W ASW 3000 and velodyne.
Your best bet is to get something like a Crown CE1000 - which has a 220/110 switch and is bridgeable to mono. That will allow you to get a speaker and cabinet made in India and run it as the amp. Speakers, subs etc are mostly air and particle board. You have to make those in India. Else it will never be cost effective to ship it. However chinese send ship fuls of junk across the world for next to nothing. If we dont have that volume, we'd have to pay full cost for shipping.
Cool.
Srinath.

Bringing the Used in "Lot" should be rated as Prohibited.I have imported few Spares and worked out for me.

Until you bring them frequently, You are fine to import things for your personal use.

Exception for importing on Audio Electronics Type is "Tuner".

I have never seen a 110-220 switchable sub, and I have B&W ASW 3000 and velodyne.
Your best bet is to get something like a Crown CE1000 - which has a 220/110 switch and is bridgeable to mono. That will allow you to get a speaker and cabinet made in India and run it as the amp. Speakers, subs etc are mostly air and particle board. You have to make those in India. Else it will never be cost effective to ship it. However chinese send ship fuls of junk across the world for next to nothing. If we dont have that volume, we'd have to pay full cost for shipping.
Cool.
Srinath.

All the previous generation SVS subs were dual volt(110-230) compatible.
Rythmik, PowerSoundAudio and Reaction Audio subs are dual volt compatible aswell. Seaton and JTR have both 110v and 230v subs.

By the way, what subwoofer are you planning to import?

Also a B&W ASW 3000 is a scarcely believable 110 lb - 50 kg. The Velodyne sc 1250 is 95 lb and it only has a 12" and a 15" radiator.
Completely pointless shipping it anywhere, even next door.
My ASW3000 was In someone's attic. It nearly killed the guy that had to bring it down. I have it apart, changing some opamps in it due to a ground buzz issue. I will not be assembling it till its under a ft from where it will live.
Cool.
Srinath.

Hi All,

Thank you for your valuable information..
I am planning to import Velodyne HGS series..if they available in India let me know I will purchase..

Hi All,

Thank you for your valuable information..
I am planning to import Velodyne HGS series..if they available in India let me know I will purchase..

visit htstore.in, they deal with Velodyne sub and based of Bangalore. I know volumate in Chennai but not sure about dealer in Bangalore.

Hi All,

Thank you for your Valuable information.. I am planning to import Velodyne HGS Series Subwoofer.. If anyone have this sub and want to sell I will purchase..please let me know any one have it..
By the way if it is operational at 110v/50z which step down transformer is best and with what power configuration?

Just to warn you, used goods can't be imported as per law(not sure if something changed). So its a risk importing used one, it may or may not clear customs(its all luck). Since sub is big in size it more likely to get more attention by customs.

Instead of importing an used B&W sub, you can import a PSA S1500. It costs $1000 in US.
This sub will perform better than SB13 ultra and is also much cheap.
This subs shipping weight is around 32kg and the Shipment dimensions: 24" x 22" x 23". So a passenger may carry it as a baggage if lucky (if I am wrong, please correct).

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back