Need to Refoam My Logitech Z5500D Surround for One Satellite. Plz Guide !

indiglo

My 5/6 year old Logitech z5500d is showing signs of aging... in one of the satellite speakers,the surround foam has broken off from the spkr mount at various places & the sound is getting distorted,scratchy or sounds broken at various frequencies,...particularly at higher volumes!:sad::(

So,i think refoaming the satellite is the only solution.

But the Big problem is ,i have no previous experience of such job,...neither do i know where to get the replacement foam for the Logitech Z5500D Satellite speaker from?:confused:

watched a couple of yotube videos on sub refoaming,but that's it,...but honestly have no idea should i do the job or more appropriately can i DIY Or do i need to take it to a electronic repair shop?

Spoke to local logitech ppl(savex india)..they said they dont do repair jobs ,only replacements of products/speakers & that too within warranty period !...so basically,i'm left in the lurch, buying such a expensive p.c speaker system,...& desperately seeking service without any official help!

So, friends,can u help me out! :sos:

edit : Added 35sec FHD youtube link regarding this issue (dont know if u can decipher the issue of bad audio from here,but still...) Logitech Z5500D satellite speaker sounding scratchy & Bad due to speaker Surround foam tears.mp4 - YouTube

Last edited:
why? my logi z5500d is working fine in every other aspect...infact i simply luv its gr88888 bad ass bass...nothing comparable to it in this dept!

i want a solution to my z5500d issue only!

rishiguru should be able to assist you with it.. ping him. he have dismantled the logi's and should be the best guide for you in this case.. also check with the DIY guys...

You need to buy a new driver. If Logitech will not supply a spare part, perhaps you can buy the speaker and case itself. Another place to buy speakers is from Ebay, but shipping might kill you.

If I remember, the 5500 had a 10 kilo sub, and is quite a thumper. You might purchase replacement speakers from another brand and enjoy them.

Truthfully, the speakers supplied with these sets only cost the factory about Rs250, so a replacement is easy.

You need to buy a new driver. If Logitech will not supply a spare part, perhaps you can buy the speaker and case itself. Another place to buy speakers is from Ebay, but shipping might kill you.

If I remember, the 5500 had a 10 kilo sub, and is quite a thumper. You might purchase replacement speakers from another brand and enjoy them.

Truthfully, the speakers supplied with these sets only cost the factory about Rs250, so a replacement is easy.

finding the rerplacement driver will not be easy and as per the issue mentioned just the other refoaming has to be done and DIY guys should be able to direct him with that..

about the cost of drivers being at 250 can be true but if you look at many companies its the similar case.. the main part is how the driver is tuned to produce sound..

^thanks for the direction.....p.m'd him..hope he helps,...

any more suggestions plz!

Look as far as my memory goes the Z5500 used to have 3 inch drivers in their satellite speakers.

Considering that one of them have torn surround foam, you can bring that satellite driver a get the entire speaker cone + spider replaced in local electronic market. At Chandi Chowk in Kolkata you can find many shops who do so. Just tell them the impedence of your driver, i believe they are 8 ohms and they will ask you to come the next day, charging at around Rs 50 to 100.

This is the simplest solution i can come up with. Mind you that these speaker units are custom made by OEM manufactures to Logitech specs to fit inside the the plastic satellite box so finding a exact same driver may be difficult.

Other solution is to buy a single chinese speaker box having 8 ohm impedence having a RCA input plug. This will do the job too.

------------------------------------

Finally if you have the cash in the region of 20K, it is time to upgrade. If in music, get the Norge 1000 GOLD stereo amplifier + Norge Millenium speakers and you will never go back and listen to your Z5500 for music.

many many thanks to rishiguru & other dear friends for guiding me:)

I want to clarify, i'm NOT in kolkata atm,...so No chandini service...i can't avail ! :(

Now,in the given situation when i'm NOT assured/confident about what sort of quality service, the local electronic shops can provide,....is it foolish to import replacement speaker(1) for my 1(one) worn out satellite speaker,.....if i don't get proper local service for changing foams or get proper speaker drivers that fits the logitech enclosure?

Some sellers at ebay.com r selling spare satellite speakers of Logitech Z5500D
1)http://www.ebay.com/itm/logitech-Z-5500-Speaker-/280838121532?pt=PCA_Speakers&hash=item416341a83c
2)http://www.ebay.com/itm/Logitech-Z5...68?pt=Speakers_Subwoofers&hash=item256d9888b8
Are such sellers & their items dependable &...most imp- is it feasible/practical to import such items like a (1) satellite speaker to India & to my place,even by paying premium?

I dont have paypal,...so will be calling the resident importers here to deliver if in case...

i'm really in a fix with my problem...My only fixation being that,the satellite speaker & the whole system should sound as good & pristine as before!

^^ that's NOT my attitude here !
Anyway, got a mail from TB that those satellite drivers r actually W3-665SC & Not the W3-593SF Full range drivers !

Can the DIY experts here,particularly if one has any previous experience of replacing the Z5500D satellite drivers plz answer & reconfirm?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Reforming is not required in case the foam is ripped only at a few places. I have 2 z5500 about 5 years old and they are working fine however my 2 jbl on beat extremes had 3 ruptured atlas drivers however the spider and voice coils were fine. They were paper cones. I just added a copies amount of fevicol around the rim of the cone with the foam and left them over night and they just sounded perfect.

If the foam has deteriorated to bits would you need complete reforming which is difficult without the correct size ones. You may search for some reforming kits online.

@ Indiglo. Lakhtokia railgate has a lot of speaker reconers. Off the cuff I cant give you the shop names.... why dont you just walk over there since you are situated at Guwahati.

Regards,

Lifewater

Hey.. Kindly update whts the status of Z5500??
Is re foaming done successfully?
My system also needs re foaming for all the 5 spkrs. Please guide where can I get it done in Mumbai. Pls give some shop names.

I have the 5500 and the former post shows the correct drivers. Before you play to buy these it is better to try to replace the surrounds by yourself using a good glue like fevicol and a same diameter surround. I have repaired 3 such drivers but there were the jbl atlas series and foam and paper. The logitech ones are aluminium coated paper with rubber surrounds.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back