*Need valuable inputs on custom speaker drivers*

dotekafu

Hi, So This is turning out to be an interesting thing probably because something like this is rare (Atleast in my sense). We are connoisseurs when it comes to real wood, And back in the good old 90s while procuring Rosewood for House interior and furniture purposes we had so much in excess that my father planned to make speaker cabinets so he could install some speakers in it while the whole interior kinda matched. Now my father wasn't much of an audiophile (It was to practically make use of this rare wood into something good and unique), So after his long homework in the days when internet was like a 2050 kinda thing lol, He could get his hands on a pair of drivers called as BOLT-ON drivers. BOLT-ON is known as a brand itseems, I'm also not very sure of this.

Now i have zero idea about this driver's make, model. All i knew was its name and the thing ran pretty loud on treble and wasn't so much on bass, It was running a Taga Harmony to power it up, Without knowing the importance of this amp, It was probably thrown or given away after it reached a point of repair before 2007 or so.

And since the last 10 years or more its sitting idle, Totally stripped. And now I have full mindset of restoring it, But I'm not sure how. My Main Question is:

CAN WE GET CUSTOM DRIVERS AND TWEETERS IN THIS ERA? Cuz I'm a budding audiophile and i have little to no information on this. When asked, Few guys have given me positive leads but it has lead me nowhere. I think this forum is the right place to ask a question like this.

I am attaching few photos of the cabinet below, Its in pretty bad shape but in its raw shape. I've used a tape to measure the size of the previous driver and tweeters installed. Need Valuable Inputs on this one! Thanks in advance

*Rosewood and Rosewood Cabinet mentioned in this thread is completely owned under the Forest Permit purchased legally from the KARNATAKA STATE FOREST DEPARTMENT, Illegal possesion of Rosewood can be subjected to Non Bailable Offence under the KARNATAKA STATE FOREST DEPARTMENT ACT 1963*

Attachments

• Front .jpg
    Front .jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 32
  • From the left.jpg
    From the left.jpg
    119.2 KB · Views: 32
  • From the right.jpg
    From the right.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 30
  • Measurement of the front driver.jpg
    Measurement of the front driver.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 30
  • Measurement of the tweeter .jpg
    Measurement of the tweeter .jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 29
  • Measurement of the right driver.jpg
    Measurement of the right driver.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 29
  • Total height of the cabinet.jpg
    Total height of the cabinet.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 29
  • Back.jpg
    Back.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 32
Can you get custom drivers? Yes.

It will cost a lot of money for R&D and a production run at least in the 100s if not 1000s. There are many commercially available drivers with different T/S to suit your needs.

The cheapest way to get custom drivers would be to talk to a Chinese OEM and ask them to change the T/S of a standard product slightly, assuming they are willing to do so for less money. This way you may get away with paying standard price for a couple of drivers which are "custom".

I do not know why you want custom unless no commercially available product suits your needs.

Can you get custom drivers? Yes.

It will cost a lot of money for R&D and a production run at least in the 100s if not 1000s. There are many commercially available drivers with different T/S to suit your needs.

The cheapest way to get custom drivers would be to talk to a Chinese OEM and ask them to change the T/S of a standard product slightly, assuming they are willing to do so for less money. This way you may get away with paying standard price for a couple of drivers which are "custom".

I do not know why you want custom unless no commercially available product suits your needs.

I'm thinking of bringing the cabinets back to its former glory, And using this as a 2.0 setup just for music in my bedroom. Now you may ask the kinda reachability we have of buying a commercial product, I completely understand. But there is an emotion factor that lies within me. I've seen these cabinets as i grew up, And oldschool things kinda ring a bell for me always. So even if its performance isn't top notch, I don't mind restoring it until it puts a serious hole in my pocket. It could also serve as something antique.

Apart from the china part of changing the T/S, What do you think is the price point of the custom drivers?

I'm thinking of bringing the cabinets back to its former glory, And using this as a 2.0 setup just for music in my bedroom. Now you may ask the kinda reachability we have of buying a commercial product, I completely understand. But there is an emotion factor that lies within me. I've seen these cabinets as i grew up, And oldschool things kinda ring a bell for me always. So even if its performance isn't top notch, I don't mind restoring it until it puts a serious hole in my pocket. It could also serve as something antique.

Apart from the china part of changing the T/S, What do you think is the price point of the custom drivers?

Custom drivers are generally not sold, you would have to commission a company to develop a driver to your specifications, pay for R&D and buy the whole production run. The cabinets do not need custom drivers unless the driver cutout is some very odd size. You do not need to use custom drivers for these. To note, "custom" does not mean better. Some companies have regular product lines that they "modify" a little and call it "custom". You have not yet mentioned why you want custom and what exactly it is you want customized.

If you must put a price on the whole R&D and say 1000 driver production run, I'm guessing it will cost about 10 crores.

I am assuming here you want a quality product, if all you care about is custom for name sake then some local people do such jobs by importing raw parts from China and assembling it, you could call that custom I suppose (I wouldn't) but it will be poor quality. They are limited by the parts they can source so the customization will be limited to what they can find. For these drivers I'm guessing the price can be 10-20,000 per driver.

Custom drivers are generally not sold, you would have to commission a company to develop a driver to your specifications, pay for R&D and buy the whole production run. The cabinets do not need custom drivers unless the driver cutout is some very odd size. You do not need to use custom drivers for these. To note, "custom" does not mean better. Some companies have regular product lines that they "modify" a little and call it "custom". You have not yet mentioned why you want custom and what exactly it is you want customized.

If you must put a price on the whole R&D and say 1000 driver production run, I'm guessing it will cost about 10 crores.

I am assuming here you want a quality product, if all you care about is custom for name sake then some local people do such jobs by importing raw parts from China and assembling it, you could call that custom I suppose (I wouldn't) but it will be poor quality. They are limited by the parts they can source so the customization will be limited to what they can find. For these drivers I'm guessing the price can be 10-20,000 per driver.
By custom I meant something that could fit this already cut open cabinet. Sorry for using the word. Yes I’m looking for a quality product, A driver fitting this size is what I’m exactly looking for. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum! This looks like a fantastic project!
Moving to the DIY forum where you are likely to get more responses.

This can be done very well and there are several forum members who can help.

Regards

Welcome to the forum! This looks like a fantastic project!
Moving to the DIY forum where you are likely to get more responses.

This can be done very well and there are several forum members who can help.

Regards

Surely. Thanks

Hi, So This is turning out to be an interesting thing probably because something like this is rare (Atleast in my sense). We are connoisseurs when it comes to real wood, And back in the good old 90s while procuring Rosewood for House interior and furniture purposes we had so much in excess that my father planned to make speaker cabinets so he could install some speakers in it while the whole interior kinda matched. Now my father wasn't much of an audiophile (It was to practically make use of this rare wood into something good and unique), So after his long homework in the days when internet was like a 2050 kinda thing lol, He could get his hands on a pair of drivers called as BOLT-ON drivers. BOLT-ON is known as a brand itseems, I'm also not very sure of this.

Now i have zero idea about this driver's make, model. All i knew was its name and the thing ran pretty loud on treble and wasn't so much on bass, It was running a Taga Harmony to power it up, Without knowing the importance of this amp, It was probably thrown or given away after it reached a point of repair before 2007 or so.

And since the last 10 years or more its sitting idle, Totally stripped. And now I have full mindset of restoring it, But I'm not sure how. My Main Question is:

CAN WE GET CUSTOM DRIVERS AND TWEETERS IN THIS ERA? Cuz I'm a budding audiophile and i have little to no information on this. When asked, Few guys have given me positive leads but it has lead me nowhere. I think this forum is the right place to ask a question like this.

I am attaching few photos of the cabinet below, Its in pretty bad shape but in its raw shape. I've used a tape to measure the size of the previous driver and tweeters installed. Need Valuable Inputs on this one! Thanks in advance

*Rosewood and Rosewood Cabinet mentioned in this thread is completely owned under the Forest Permit purchased legally from the KARNATAKA STATE FOREST DEPARTMENT, Illegal possesion of Rosewood can be subjected to Non Bailable Offence under the KARNATAKA STATE FOREST DEPARTMENT ACT 1963*
If you need Bolton drives please contact me # i have original drives with original packaging box ( old new stock )

By custom I meant something that could fit this already cut open cabinet. Sorry for using the word. Yes I’m looking for a quality product, A driver fitting this size is what I’m exactly looking for. Any ideas?
Have you measured the cut out? What is the size?

You will need to go through the sites of manufacturers to see what fits from off the shelf products. Typical sizes are followed these days. If it is a standard size you should find plenty of options. Some irregular sizes are also made. If you would like I can list a few pro manufacturers for you to check. If you are interested in home ones then someone else might be able to suggest.

Have you measured the cut out? What is the size?

You will need to go through the sites of manufacturers to see what fits from off the shelf products. Typical sizes are followed these days. If it is a standard size you should find plenty of options. Some irregular sizes are also made. If you would like I can list a few pro manufacturers for you to check. If you are interested in home ones then someone else might be able to suggest.
Please suggest me the pro manufacturers as per your knowledge, Let me look into it. I can give you the detailed measurements if you want.

Just calculate the internal volume of the enclosure, This may help in selection of driver for that particular volume, Also mention the internal "L" x "B" x "H" which can help to decide port length.

Yes you will have to do some DIY on them, I see the cutting done on them is just a MESS.

Please suggest me the pro manufacturers as per your knowledge, Let me look into it. I can give you the detailed measurements if you want.

Some of the common pro manufacturers are PD,Faital,RCF,Eminence,18 Sound, Celestion, Fane, B&C, P Audio.

SOME DIY....🤣....Kya Sadik Bhai....aap toh bacche ki jaan lekar hi maanogey.....Just imagine his state by the time he gets the ROSE WOOD boxes up and running....sourcing Drivers...sound proofing /damping internals.....getting cross overs..and finally the assembly. This is one DIY he's never gonna forget..lol

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back