Need volume and tone control with remote for my audio setup

jags

My current configuration:

WDTV Live Hub -> Sony TV -> SMSL SA-98E amp -> Pioneer AJ FS speakers

All my music is stored in hard disk of WDTV Live Hub media player. WDTV is connected to my Sony TV via HDMI. Headphone out of my TV is to SMSL amp via 3.5mm to RCA cable. SMSL is kept at constant volume level and is used as a power amp. I am using TV remote control to control volume - TV is used as pre-amp.

I intend to use this setup for music, TV and movies.

The am happy with the clarity and imaging of the audio. However, I am not happy with the balance. Bass is too heavy and drowns out dialogs in movies. My Sony TV does not provide bass and treble control on headphone output.

I am looking for a low cost solution to resolve this problem.

I have considered the following:

1. Replace SMSL with an AVR/stereo amp with remote control.
- I have space constraints in my TV rack and do not have place to keep an AVR /full sized stereo amp. Also, I want to keep the additional cost down (less than Rs.10K).

2. CA Dacmagic plus
- cost factor

3. NAD D 3020
- Not sure if the 30W amp is sufficient for my speakers. No tone control. Cost factor.

4. SMSL Q5
- Early reviews talk of issues with remote control. Also, concerns if power output is sufficient & about audio quality.

Any suggestions?

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back