Need your opinion for a budget Stereo setup for Living Room.

john_k_antony

Friends,

I want to setup a stereo system for my living room. The room size is 23x15. I am looking for a budget system. I will use my existing KEF iQ7 speakers. What I am looking for is a good CD player and an 2 channel integrated amp to drive KEF iQ7.

My budget for Amp + CD player is 50-60K MAX.

The Amp will be used with following sources

1. CDP
2. Project Debut III TT with Project Phono MM Box.
3. Blue Ray Player (will use down mixed 2 channel output)
4. WDTV Media player (will use down mixed 2 channel output)
5. Airtel STB (will use down mixed 2 channel output)
6. FM Tuner

I will also need to use a Velodyne EQMax Sub with the amp. Mainly for getting the low end effects when watching movies. Even for stereo I would need the Sub as my iQ7 is not giving me enough low end "kick".

Here are the options I considered and auditioned. However I could not get any audition done with my speakers. So I will have to take a risk in selecting the CD+Amp combo.

1. Marantz CD5004 + Marantz PM6004 with Jamo speakers - I found this combo very "exciting" to hear. Lots of details and punch. The total cost of the combo from HiFiMart.com is 50K. But the issue is PM6004 is rated at 45W/8Ohms. I feel PM6004 will be gravely under powered to drive KEF iQ7. Again PM6004 doesn't have Pre Out / Sub Out. So I will have to use the speaker line option from the Sub to get the Sub added to the chain. I did feel Marantz to sound little brighter and pairing it with already bright KEF will create a listening fatigue?

2. Yamaha CDS7000 + Yamaha AS500 with Yamaha speakers - I found this combo pretty neutral. Clarity was good, but not too detailed. It kind of sounded pretty clean to my ears. The advantages with AS500 is that its rated at 85W/8Ohms. I guess AS500 can easily drive my KEF iQ7. Also AS500 has a Sub out and it also allows for Bi-Wiring the speakers. The price of Amp is around 27K and I am planning to use Marantz CDP with it as CDS7000 is way above my budget.

3. Marantz CDP6004 + CA Azur 640a with MA RX6 speakers. This combo sounded the best of the lot. Again all the components matched perfectly and produced a great sound stage that is huge and with great bass with out even the need of a sub woofer. I think the enhanced low end is attributed to MA RX6 as well. However CA 640a is out of production and is not available any more. The new version 641a is available now. However its around 12K more than 640a.

Now I have shortlisted the following combos

1. Marantz CDP 5004 + Yamaha AS500. Cost - 47K
2. Marantz CDP 5004 + CA Azur 641a. Cost - 60K

Since I wont be able to check any of the above combos with KEF iQ7, what would you guys think will be a good system to have? Again my criteria is

1. Lower cost.
2. Decent performance.
3. Need to drive KEF iQ7 (8Ohms, sensitivity - 90db, power requirements - 15-150W).
4. Should fill a room of 23x15 with moderately high volume.
5. Prefer a Sub out / Pre Out.
6. Prefer neutral sounding.
7. Will work in a non acoustically treated room with lots of openings.
8. Will be using budget Inter Connects and Speaker Cables.

I am open for any other combo (CDP + Amp) that can satisfy above criteria with in a strict budget of around 50K.

Thanks,
John.

John,

Why dont you try audition Marantz CDP 5004 + Marantz PM6004\PM5004.Moreover
any reason why you missed "PRO-FX" discount offered last weekend?As you are in Bangalore

The issue with PM6004 is that it will be under powered for my iQ7. I didn't want to get Denon integrated amp as I didn't like the Denon integrated amp + KEF iQ7 combo.

Back