Netflix 4k movie size ?

Kannan_madhu

I read somewhere that Netflix consumes around 7gb of data in a hour for 4K content , which is around 10gb for movie . And since most of the UHD bluray movie size is around 50GB is there any compression or loss of details going on while streaming . Is the pic quality from a blue ray and Netflix streaming different ?

Yes and No.
BR uses x.262 or mpeg2 compression on the video stream at a very high bit rate
Most OTT use x.265 or hevc which is a much more efficient compression algorithm.

Is hevc 5 times more efficient than mpeg2? Hard to quantify as there are a lot of variables at play

But keep in mind that DVDs used MPEG2 and needed 4.7gb for a movie at a resolution that’s 1/24 of 4K.

Edit - 4K discs can be between 50-100GB
x.265 is certainly not 10 times more efficient than mpeg2 - will you spot a difference, probably not.

I personally feel the newer HDR10 shows and movies on NF look better and more vibrant than anything I have seen on BluRay but then again, I am talking traditional BluRay vs a newer improved standard.

Last edited:
Blu ray content and netflix can never be compared especially when it comes to audio quality. But when you are on a 2.1 or a soundbar set up Netflix or prime should do the job. But for a good HT set up the difference in sound quality is way better on a blu ray content compared to NF or prime. In my set up the difference is day and night so i never use netflix or prime except while traveling

I have never experienced BR. Netflix streams better with faster network. Watch David Attenborough's Our Planet and whole experience comes alive.
Mine is a 7 year old Samsung Led and the picture quality is still amazing.
Another fact ( I could be pulled up for snake oil)-
I have been using a super expensive Power cord on the distribution box powering firestick, TV and soundbase. It has elevated the experience.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back