Netgear ReadyNas duo... Is that the one I need ??

gsenthil99

Dear Friends,

Here are the details of my current setup..

Home Theater - Denon AVR 2310
Stereo receiver Denon PMA 710 AE
DAC Cambridge Audios DacMagic
Speakers Mordant Short Aviano series
Media Player WD Live
Wireless Router Netgear N600
Bluray Player Panasonic BD 60
Gaming Console Xbox 360

My new Requirement / wish lists.. :)

An Easy way to stream video wirelessly to my new iPad
An hassle free way of downloading files from torrents 24/7
Store loads of music and HD videos that can be accessed by my media player(WD Live) wirelessly

I was looking at the Netgear Ready Nas Duo for the above mentioned requirements

ReadyNAS Duo : NETGEAR ReadyNAS Community

What do you guys think of the same ??

I want to make decision soon(in the next couple of days...) Please let me know your thoughts..

Please confirm the capability of the device in streaming full HD contents wirelessly.

I had problem in watching 1080p movies shared through network. 720p or lesser resolution movies were not having any issue.

My setup was

1) DIY NAS setup connected with wire to router
2) PC connected through wifi to router
3) Files shared by NFS/CFS(samba)
4) Distance between wifi router and the PC was less than 20feet

However I was able to watch 1080p movies through wifi connection. Even here whenever I skipped some video it took more than normal time.

Specific about this product, its good when one is not going to increase the collection at rapid speed. If one intends to download lot of HD/full HD movies and would like to retain all in the collection, then max capacity will be reached sooner than expected. This needs to be ascertained by self.

Netgear N600 itself can make use of a USB hard disc and run it like a network media server. You don't have to buy a NAS. Try plugging in a drive and from the control panel for the router, enable streaming media support.

Personally I am a strong beliver in a good NAS-I have 2 ReadyNAS units a Duo and 4 Bay V2. The latter has gbE ethernet and USB 3.0. Both NAS units are connected via ethernet to my GbE network.

I am currently getting the new 4Bay unit up and running-my plan is to gradually install 3 TB X4 drives, but I currently have a single 3TB with a lot of content on it, so havent yet decided what is going to be my course of action.

I am a bit sceptical of the idea of streaming BRs wirelessly, but I could be wrong. I have both Popcorn Hour as well as WD Live TV players.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back