New 40-50" TV - Is Plasma still around ?

abhinav

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade from a 21"CRT to a "Flat screen". Following are some aspects :

* Size undecided, but minimum 40" and max 50" most likely
* Budget - around 35-40k to max 50k, unless something more value for money at a bit higher. Lower than this is absolutely fine
* Usage : Regular HD, Movies. Not looking for extremely high performance.
* Need it to last as long as possible - no quick upgrades for me. So higher duration warranty is good.
* Should be fine with HD Ready
* Not looking for Smart features.
* Viewing distance - 8-9ft on average.

Looking at the threads here last year, my understanding was that Plasma, especially Panasonic, would be a good fit for me.

Now I searched for Panasonic Plasma,s but looks like they are no longer available and are discontinued.

The only Plasma's I see are a couple of LG models and couple of Samsungs.

So the questions :

1. Does it still make sense to go for plasma, given that most manufacturers plan to phase it out ? Wouldnt A.S.S, panel failures be a high cost to replace esp with Samsung/LG 1 year warranty ? (Not sure how much extended warranty will cost).

2. Is LED the alternative ? Which are good VFM models ?

3. Any other points to note ?

Last edited:
^^

Thanks nishkant. The chroma guy mentioned these models as the latest ones, apart from one LG model for ~34k (PN4500 or something).

I just want to check regarding A.S.S etc for these models going forward. The price looks pretty attractive.

Also, is the 3D option for 10k extra worth it ? Given that this is a HD ready set, not full HD, and the screen size ?

Would it be better to go for a toshiba/Panasonic LED with more warranty instead ?

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade from a 21"CRT to a "Flat screen". Following are some aspects :

* Size undecided, but minimum 40" and max 50" most likely
* Budget - around 35-40k to max 50k, unless something more value for money at a bit higher. Lower than this is absolutely fine
* Usage : Regular HD, Movies. Not looking for extremely high performance.
* Need it to last as long as possible - no quick upgrades for me. So higher duration warranty is good.
* Should be fine with HD Ready
* Not looking for Smart features.
* Viewing distance - 8-9ft on average.

Looking at the threads here last year, my understanding was that Plasma, especially Panasonic, would be a good fit for me.

Now I searched for Panasonic Plasma,s but looks like they are no longer available and are discontinued.

The only Plasma's I see are a couple of LG models and couple of Samsungs.

So the questions :

1. Does it still make sense to go for plasma, given that most manufacturers plan to phase it out ? Wouldnt A.S.S, panel failures be a high cost to replace esp with Samsung/LG 1 year warranty ? (Not sure how much extended warranty will cost).

2. Is LED the alternative ? Which are good VFM models ?

3. Any other points to note ?

Hi..
Looking at your requirements like price, warranty, quality Toshiba 39PU2305 or other model may best bet, you may find lot of happy owners in this forum and their experiences choosing this. pl do search.

Even i also think plasmas are gradually becoming lesser n lesser to see in stores and now time comes to all plasma lovers should think what the future of plasmas?

About 3D, better to stay away in this budget, as currently if u need a good 3D experience i think you need to spend more than 70k.

Search this forum (hope you are doing already)!

stay away from LG plasma. Samsung 43h4900 is a good choice, very good entry level plasma, got one for my brother as well. Do not go for 43h4100. If you can source them, Panasonic entry level plasma's can be another option.

For the same price, plasma will give you better overall picture quality compared to LED. Only drawback is bright light. If your viewing is in bright light then LED would be better suited. Plasma excels in low ambient light conditions.

Toshiba LED TVs are really good VFM. They also offer 3 years warraty though I am not sure if it applies to all models. 39p2305 is around 33-35K. If you are worried about Plasma TVs life, power consumption and image retention problems then you can opt for Toshiba.

If you can stretch your budget i would suggest you get the Samsung 51F5500 3d plasma. It is one of the best vfm big tv's available in market with every conceivable feature you want including smart tv, built in wifi, miracast etc. And picture quality is excellent.

It is available for around 68-70k but these days with EMI option available you could just pay in installments. A TV is something you would use for atleast 10 years and i suggest you to go for this. I have the older generation 51D550 which i bought 2 years ago and am really happy with it.

If you can stretch your budget i would suggest you get the Samsung 51F5500 3d plasma. It is one of the best vfm big tv's available in market with every conceivable feature you want including smart tv, built in wifi, miracast etc. And picture quality is excellent.

It is available for around 68-70k but these days with EMI option available you could just pay in installments. A TV is something you would use for atleast 10 years and i suggest you to go for this. I have the older generation 51D550 which i bought 2 years ago and am really happy with it.

Unlike good old CRT TVs todays TVs have a much shorter life, say around 4-5 years. Some may last longer, but nowhere close to CRTs. But I agree with you that 51F5500 is a fantastic buy.

Thanks - I did find Toshiba 39PU2305 reviews and saw the thread here. Looked compelling, especially with the larger warranty.

Regarding 51F5500 - I did see the thread here and elsewhere on it being an excellent purchase, but do not want to spend so much.

aakashr : you mentioned staying away from 43h4100 - any particular reason ?

43h4100 - very low resolution (852 x 480), more like obsolete, they don't make tv's with that resolution anymore, at least I hope they don't :). Have no idea why Samsung introduced this model. You want a minimum 720p panel (1280x720p).

Suggest you to really give it a serious thought and stretch your budget for 51F5500, TOTALLY worth it!!! will beat every LED for the same price.

Last edited:
43h4100 - very low resolution (852 x 480), more like obsolete, they don't make tv's with that resolution anymore, at least I hope they don't :). Have no idea why Samsung introduced this model. You want a minimum 720p panel (1280x720p).

I don't think there is anything wrong with 852 x 480 resolution... Someone who wants a Big-screen to watch SD channels either from STB (or) Cable viewing would do good for that... It should also be able to play HD movies easily....It is perfect choice for some with 30K budget with big screen...

I don't think there is anything wrong with 852 x 480 resolution... Someone who wants a Big-screen to watch SD channels either from STB (or) Cable viewing would do good for that... It should also be able to play HD movies easily....It is perfect choice for some with 30K budget with big screen...

Yes the price is the icing in the cake, great plasma for 30k. But since we want to ensure technology survives the test of time, I would stretch the budget by another 8-10k for the F4900 which is a 720p panel.

I have seen all the Samsung plasma's side by side and no doubt a 852 x 480 panel will play SD effortlessly, it will still look inferior to a 720p panel for HD content.

+1 for ps51f5500 as for me and madhavk and a bunch of other hifi'ers we had bought ps51d550 2 years back (obviously separately) the tv is rocking with no problems at all.
yesterday me and my friends were in search of a good 50 inch tv he rounded it on ps51f5500 for 67.5k. More on the tv when he unpacks this beauty tommorrow.

stay away from LG plasma

Why would you say so ? I was planning to get LG's PN4500 plasma.Having seen both PN4500 and Samsung's 43F4100, LG beats its hands-down in PQ.

It will be really helpful if you can let us know on what basis you are telling people to stay away from LG plasma.You got me worried :sad:

Yes the price is the icing in the cake, great plasma for 30k. But since we want to ensure technology survives the test of time, I would stretch the budget by another 8-10k for the F4900 which is a 720p panel.

I have seen all the Samsung plasma's side by side and no doubt a 852 x 480 panel will play SD effortlessly, it will still look inferior to a 720p panel for HD content.

The best of the SD broadcast is still in 576i, which i think will take an other 5 years to move to 1080i completely for all channels... So assuming that timeframe, 43H4100 will be a great TV...(For casual BRRip movies from internet, they should do good)....

I get your point.. But when a consumer budget is 30K Max (Which is a huge sum of money), there is no point pushing him for extra 10K & getting the better model....

I don't know why Samsung is not introducing the 4500 series which are nothing but HD resolution alone on the TV with no 3D....

Samsung 43H4900 is a very good TV for the price, but if the same TV was aval without 3D, it would cost 6 - 7 K less and encourage consumers to buy the big screen......Samsung must consider launching the 4500 series in india, where they can find more takers.... It is like a VFM model...

Last edited:
Why would you say so ? I was planning to get LG's PN4500 plasma.Having seen both PN4500 and Samsung's 43F4100, LG beats its hands-down in PQ.

It will be really helpful if you can let us know on what basis you are telling people to stay away from LG plasma.You got me worried :sad:

I have nothing against Lg :), in fact most of my home appliances are Lg including 2 Lg LED tv's. However, when it comes to plasma I feel Panasonic and Samsung have the upper hand, hence my comment.

If you are comparing PN4500 and Samsung's 43F4100, I would go for PN4500 having a 720p panel. Hope that clarifies my comment.

I bought a 32" LG Plasma around 5 yrs ago still fine no problems to date. However they dont make 32" Plasma's anymore

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back