New AVR / Stereo Amp for Polk RTi A7

naveen_madnani

Hello All,

I live in New Delhi and currently having 2.0 setup Harman Kardon stereo receiver HK 3490 and Polk RTi A7.
I have used the combo for almost 1 year and was very satisfied.
The due to some fault in HK 3490, it is not working now and I want to now buy a new AVR/ stereo Amp.

Though I am mostly a music listener (70% music 30% movies) , I am now thinking to go for an AVR this time to add speakers later on.

Can you guide me an budget AVR which I can presently power my Polk RTI A7.
I know basics from reading threads that AVR like Denon x1000 (which fits in my budget) will will lack power to run the Polk RTi A7.

Considering my requirement What will you suggest me to invest in.
1. A powerful AVR (which can run RTI A7) OR Decent powered stereo Amp.(like HK 3490)
2. Or sell my RTi A7 and setup a new system with Denon X1000 with book shelves speakers to start and addon speakers later.

As my room size is small ( 15 feet x 10 feet ) I am also facing difficulty to place A7's in my room.

Thanks in advance

Hi

The Polk Rti A7s are one of the best speakers Polk audio has produced and are good ones...why would you want to sell them unless there are spacing issues and you want to head for an upgrade....

There are not many good brands of AVRs or integrated amps available today as most of the biggies are out to make money and underrate their products with features that don't really perform...see the below link for further info....

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

If your speakers can deliver all frequencies (20hz - 20khz) easily with any decent amp then you should consider any one of the following brands...

Marantz
Cambridge Audio
NAD

Both their products AVRs or integrated is true audiophile quality and true power output at all frequencies....there are endless reviews and videos over the internet support the same....don't let 50 w RMS per channel fool you...these can easily drive even tower speakers like the RTi A7......speakers which have 88db or higher sensitivity levels can be easily paired with low power rated amps or AVRs....Stereo music sounds great and warm in both the AVRs and integrated products of these brands....go ahead with your favourite music and audition as much as you can to take the right decision...

Hope this helps.

Hi

The Polk Rti A7s are one of the best speakers Polk audio has produced and are good ones...why would you want to sell them unless there are spacing issues and you want to head for an upgrade....

There are not many good brands of AVRs or integrated amps available today as most of the biggies are out to make money and underrate their products with features that don't really perform...see the below link for further info....

AV Receiver and Amplifier Power Ratings Trends: How and Why Wattage Ratings are Manipulated | Audioholics

If your speakers can deliver all frequencies (20hz - 20khz) easily with any decent amp then you should consider any one of the following brands...

Marantz
Cambridge Audio
NAD

Both their products AVRs or integrated is true audiophile quality and true power output at all frequencies....there are endless reviews and videos over the internet support the same....don't let 50 w RMS per channel fool you...these can easily drive even tower speakers like the RTi A7......speakers which have 88db or higher sensitivity levels can be easily paired with low power rated amps or AVRs....Stereo music sounds great and warm in both the AVRs and integrated products of these brands....go ahead with your favourite music and audition as much as you can to take the right decision...

Hope this helps.

as I said again like Rahul Gandhi for all AV problems you have single article to read - WHICH IS POSSIBALY SINGLE ARTICLE YOU EVER READ IN YOUR LIFE... AND SAME SET OF ANSWERS.

Being a used dealer I can confidently say that it is better to go WITHOUT pre conceived brand notions - and try as much as possible - and mind well I must have sold 15-20 Marantz Amps / CDP /Tuners / Tapes in the past - and still I feel you my experience is very less to guide.

I get pissed because you do not even dare to find out whether your marantz is really teling the truth in specs ??? I feel your NR 1402 is just 15 W x 5 to 30W x 5 amp - so having experienced one of the LOWEST powered , lowest end amp of perticular brand how come you recommand a brand?

Gyuys check all his past posts - he is in same rant - not even bothering to accept feedback... and better ignore his advise.... as it is with YOUR EARS you are listening spending YOUR money

I was using NAD C356BEE with RTI A7 for past two years. Now I changed my speakers to KEF LS50. Now I play my music at much lower volume and enjoy it much more than earlier when it was always played in party mode. Polk Audio RTI A7 are good speakers but LS50 are in class of their own.

Hello All,

I live in New Delhi and currently having 2.0 setup Harman Kardon stereo receiver HK 3490 and Polk RTi A7.
I have used the combo for almost 1 year and was very satisfied.
The due to some fault in HK 3490, it is not working now and I want to now buy a new AVR/ stereo Amp.

Though I am mostly a music listener (70% music 30% movies) , I am now thinking to go for an AVR this time to add speakers later on.

Can you guide me an budget AVR which I can presently power my Polk RTI A7.
I know basics from reading threads that AVR like Denon x1000 (which fits in my budget) will will lack power to run the Polk RTi A7.

Considering my requirement What will you suggest me to invest in.
1. A powerful AVR (which can run RTI A7) OR Decent powered stereo Amp.(like HK 3490)
2. Or sell my RTi A7 and setup a new system with Denon X1000 with book shelves speakers to start and addon speakers later.

As my room size is small ( 15 feet x 10 feet ) I am also facing difficulty to place A7's in my room.

Thanks in advance

Have you considered the Onkyo TX 8050 & Yamaha R N 500, very similar to HK 3490 but with lot more features...

What is your problem with HK 3490.... Atleast some FM can help you find a repair shop in you city....

Folks I was wondering since the RTi A7 has a peak wattage of 300W wouldn't you need an amp with a preout + power amp?

Pre-out + power amp would be ideal... but an AVR like 608, you can easily bring the Rti A7 to life as it is 89db efficient...

I had used Polk RTi A7 for almost 30 months. So from my experience I can tell you Polk RTi A7 is in a rare class of all-rounder speaker and no budget AVR will power it up properly. Instead you can buy NAD C356 http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/50668-nad-356-amp-marantz-sa-7003-sacd-player.html as was suggested by "csd508868306kant".

As your room is not that big and your preference is music so alternate way is like you already said sell the A7 and buy decent AVR like "Marantz SR5007" or "Marantz SR6007" with BS speaker from KEF or Wharfedale or Quad or MA along with SUB.

Last edited:
Thanks all,

I have tried my best to get HK 3490 repair for almost a year now
(110v us model) I am not getting spares here.
I love my RTI A7. It is really disheartening to say A7 good bye but considering all parameters and requirement, I think it makes more sense in selling RTI A7 and go for a starter setup.
please help me in selling my RTI A7 ( how to post my selling intent with details in delhi)

now please suggest me a basic Avr setup considering my small room. I dont want to spent more than INR 40,000 now.

also can I get some value of my dead HK 3490( which remains in standby)
sorry for asking this stupid ques as i am tight on budget.

thanks in advance

Thanks all,

I have tried my best to get HK 3490 repair for almost a year now
(110v us model) I am not getting spares here.
I love my RTI A7. It is really disheartening to say A7 good bye but considering all parameters and requirement, I think it makes more sense in selling RTI A7 and go for a starter setup.
please help me in selling my RTI A7 ( how to post my selling intent with details in delhi)

now please suggest me a basic Avr setup considering my small room. I dont want to spent more than INR 40,000 now.

also can I get some value of my dead HK 3490( which remains in standby)
sorry for asking this stupid ques as i am tight on budget.

thanks in advance

Considering your usage is 70% music, i think stereo amplifier/receiver makes more sense than any AVR....

Also you have had the most powerful stereo receiver, i read in some reviews that it could pump 100 watts continuous power in to 8 Ohms which not many AVR around 40K these days can match.....

Anyways since you are short on budget, i would suggest retain your RTi A7 and look for a powerful stereo amplifier/receiver....

Consider the Onkyo TX 8050 (almost the same as HK 3490) if you have good collection in digital format (MP3,WAV,FLAC) and like to play wirelessly(thru home network)...

If you have good collection of CD's & CD player, consider the stereo amplifier as suggested by other FM's....

If you really have problems with the RTi a7, then consider selling them...

There is no point building from scratch again. you already have one of the better speakers... Mid-range series from Polk....better re-use the components that you have and get better.....Juz my thoughts...

I fully agree with "elangoas", as ur budget is tight right now, I think it is in your best interest to not go for any new venture. Just keep Polk Rti A7 and buy a 2nd hand Amp. Later sell them both without much sacrifice when you have decent budget to go for a new AVR with speakers. If you still want to sell RTi A-7 visit this link -"http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/7112-sale-owners-rules-guidelines.html" Remember- "Your registration should be at least 31 days old and you should have made a minimum of 31 posts" to post a sale thread, Good luck!

Last edited:
Thanks elangoas and srisaikat and your guidance.
As you are expert and professionals, I will now retain my polk and go a stereo amp which fits in my budget. What about yamaha A S500? Can it run them if I listen them on moderate volume?
Thanks

You need powerful amp and you are on budget, 2nd hand amp is your obvious choice and later you can sell them without much loss. So my choice are

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/50668-nad-356-amp-marantz-sa-7003-sacd-player.html

or

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/47337-marantz-integrated-amp-pm8003.html

if u want new go for

Norge 1000 Gold

or

Norge Pre & Power Combo

or

Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 FM/AM Stereo Receiver Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 FM/AM Stereo Receiver

or

Cambridge Audio Azur 651A Integrated Amplifier Cambridge Audio Azur 651A Integrated Amplifier

Thanks elangoas and srisaikat and your guidance.
As you are expert and professionals, I will now retain my polk and go a stereo amp which fits in my budget. What about yamaha A S500? Can it run them if I listen them on moderate volume?
Thanks

We are enthusiasts juz like you, who have spent some time in getting to know what we like....

now tell us what other components you own & do you have a good collection of CD's (or) digital music files (MP3 & other formats)..... What phone/tab do you own ?

You amplifier recommendations will be based on your answers....

We are enthusiasts juz like you, who have spent some time in getting to know what we like....

now tell us what other components you own & do you have a good collection of CD's (or) digital music files (MP3 & other formats)..... What phone/tab do you own ?

You amplifier recommendations will be based on your answers....

I have mostly used Cowon's iaudio U3 mp3 player to run my HK 3490 + A7 setup. I do not have any audio CD's and want to use mp3 only. I have Note2 and ipod touch 4G which I can use to run mp3s.

thanks

I have mostly used Cowon's iaudio U3 mp3 player to run my HK 3490 + A7 setup. I do not have any audio CD's and want to use mp3 only. I have Note2 and ipod touch 4G which I can use to run mp3s.

thanks

Ok great... Then a system like Onkyo TX 8050 stereo network receiver makes perfect sense.... You can play songs from your ipod thru the front USB & also from your Note 2 thru home network....

Onkyo | TX-8050

You need powerful amp and you are on budget, 2nd hand amp is your obvious choice and later you can sell them without much loss. So my choice are

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/50668-nad-356-amp-marantz-sa-7003-sacd-player.html

or

http://www.hifivision.com/sale-owner/47337-marantz-integrated-amp-pm8003.html

if u want new go for

Norge 1000 Gold

or

Norge Pre & Power Combo

or

Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 FM/AM Stereo Receiver Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 FM/AM Stereo Receiver

or

Cambridge Audio Azur 651A Integrated Amplifier Cambridge Audio Azur 651A Integrated Amplifier

why Azur 651A being less on output, is costly by 15k?

Ok Lets summarize recommendations for following use

1. stereo receiver to match RTiA7
2. Buy New within 30k to 40k
3. No CD player will be used, mp3 player and network capability preferred / usb

Onkyo TX 8050/ 80w@8ohm/ est price 43k
CA Topaz SR 10/ 85w@8ohm / est price 23k
NAD 356BE/ 80w@8 ohm/ price ?
Yamaha RN 500/ 80w@8ohm/ price?

when I see price bracket CA topaz attracts but lacks network capability
I guess next left option is onkyo TX 8050 guessing other two are more expensive.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back