New Home theater setup

abird

Hi All,
This is my first post here after going through this forum for 2 weeks.I need help in setting up a home theater at my place.
I have a budget of 80-90k. My living room size is 320 sq ft. I will mainly watch bluray movies and listen to music sometimes. I want to buy the DENON x1200w for which I have got a quote of 44k. So I want to use the remaining amount of 50k in 5.1 speaker setup.
The dealer who has given me the quote for DENON receiver has given me two options of buying demo speakers within my budget-
Whaferdale obsidian 600 5.0 for 45k
Q Acoustics 2000(old model) 5.1 for 57K
Are the prices quoted all right?
I have heard both of them, and liked the q Acoustics 2000 one better.
What do you think about these options and any other options you would like to highlight, please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi

Visit other dealers and also read sections under "What Should I buy" or "Home Theatre" you will get a rough idea of what is generally good and what is not.....audition as much as you can with your kind of music and the same movie scene which will serve as a measure when comparing systems....

Since you are in Kolkata -

Which audition rooms did you go to & where did you get the quotation from?

Some dealers in Kolkata will hook you up with used products and I'm sure you'll get quality Bookshelves and Center/Surrounds/Sub for 50-60k.

If you are an avid music follower get bookshelves.

I got the quotation from harmonie audio.
Could you please suggest me some 5.1 options within 50k.

For the time being with that 50K get quality front bookshelves and center, later on add a sub and surrounds. This way you will in the long run have much better quality sound. Q Acoustics one is not a bad deal but inquire with Harmony for Usher 601 and center, much better than the Q Acoustic package.

Try SKS Traders at Behala, an auto ride away from Harmony, for Dali Zensor 1 Package as well but the Ushers will be superior to both Dali Zensor and Q Acoustic.

Thanks for the suggestions. I will keep them in mind and go for another audition at harmonie and sks traders as you mentioned. I just read one review for Usher 601 and it was very positive. Any other options you would like to mention?
I really liked the sound of q Acoustics 2000(not 2000i). Do you really think the price of 57k is good for this demo model not new.

Hi

Check the price online on ebay.com etc which would be in dollars...convert and check....more or less HT products available now in India is much close to the dollar listed prices......also check warranty

I own a Denon X1200W. At entry level x1200w is good value for money and am satisfied with it. At about 60% volume level I find that it is just adequate for my living room about 15 feet wide and a total area of about 260 Sqft. Seating position is about 10-11 feet from front speakers. At higher volumes it sound bright (and really loud without being punchy) but that may just be my room acoustics and the speakers I use. Decide based on room width and your seating position and expert advise from people here whether you should look at a more powerful AVR.

I own a Denon X1200W. At entry level x1200w is good value for money and am satisfied with it. At about 60% volume level I find that it is just adequate for my living room about 15 feet wide and a total area of about 260 Sqft. Seating position is about 10-11 feet from front speakers. At higher volumes it sound bright (and really loud without being punchy) but that may just be my room acoustics and the speakers I use. Decide based on room width and your seating position and expert advise from people here whether you should look at a more powerful AVR.

My living room setup is more or less similar to yours. Could you please let me know what speakers are you using?
Also how much did you get the x1200w avr for?
I have more or less decided to buy the x1200w avr, I will need guidance and help from this forum regarding what speakers to buy, mainly for watching movies within 50k

My living room setup is more or less similar to yours. Could you please let me know what speakers are you using?
Also how much did you get the x1200w avr for?
I have more or less decided to buy the x1200w avr, I will need guidance and help from this forum regarding what speakers to buy, mainly for watching movies within 50k
At present I use a mix of speakers. My fronts are Sony 6ohms 200W 3 way with 12" woofer. They used to sound great with its original amp. Great bass - punchy with enough thump and decent midrange and tweeter reproduction. I have a centre, two surrounds and two rear surrounds - all courtesy of my erstwhile panasonic htib. No subwoofer yet. I'm on the look out for upgrading the surrounds and adding a sub. I'm looking at polk, wharfdale and possible Taga.
I got the AVR at nearly the same price that you have mentioned. Make sure there is a manufacturer (Denon) warranty.

It has been said on the forum that Polk and Tannoy go well with Denon. You could also look at Morel Soundspots.

Thank you all for the responses. I will try to audition more with the brand of speakers mentioned by you all. Hope to find a good combination within my budget.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back