New Home Theatre - Eye Burning sensation

afdbbond

Hello All, I have been monitoring this forum for quite some time as we got our home theatre started by a professional team. Now the acoustic work (panelling) is complete. I will post a few pictures shortly.

But what has been bothering me from the time the acoustic work was completed is, if we close the door of the theatre overnight and I enter the room, my eyes start burning for some time initially, have experienced water in my eyes as well. I believe I later get adjusted to it, but the sensation reduces. This does not happen when the door and window are open for sometime.

Any suggestions what could be causing this? Anyone with similar experiences. It sounds weird but its been happening from two months and as the work is progressing in other rooms, I dont see it improving.

Acoustic filling used was Recron (not glasswool or rockwool), there was some panelling done on the sides with acrylic cutting and Perforated MDF panels with enamel paint. Could this be the culprit?

Welcome to the forum! What took you long to make your first post?

Regards

Hello All, I have been monitoring this forum for quite some time as we got our home theatre started by a professional team. Now the acoustic work (panelling) is complete. I will post a few pictures shortly.

But what has been bothering me from the time the acoustic work was completed is, if we close the door of the theatre overnight and I enter the room, my eyes start burning for some time initially, have experienced water in my eyes as well. I believe I later get adjusted to it, but the sensation reduces. This does not happen when the door and window are open for sometime.

Any suggestions what could be causing this? Anyone with similar experiences. It sounds weird but its been happening from two months and as the work is progressing in other rooms, I dont see it improving.

Acoustic filling used was Recron (not glasswool or rockwool), there was some panelling done on the sides with acrylic cutting and Perforated MDF panels with enamel paint. Could this be the culprit?

Paint (more so enamel) and polish have this issue and can take a long time to settle down. Leaving the doors and windows for as long as possible should help things improve sooner.
I’m not sure if recron would be causing it though.

Well, well. I have done that and been there. The issue is caused by VOCs in ply, glue, paint used. This won't go away for couple of weeks. Activated charcoal helps a lot. You can buy it from amazon. You can also use air purifiers which have activated carbon. Ventilation is the best solution. If you can't ventilate much like in my case (i rely solely on AC), then you have to use above methods. Don't worry..this is not permanent.

I have had the similar situation in my dedicated ht room that was built earlier this year. As soon as we used to enter the room there would be a burning sensation in the eyes which would last for few minutes and go completely after the AC was switched on. There is no window or any other ventilation in the room apart from a split AC and a door, which remains closed all the time. Only from last month the sensation was gone completely. I guess it was due the enamel paint and all the glue/solution used in the furniture.

Paint (more so enamel) and polish have this issue and can take a long time to settle down. Leaving the doors and windows for as long as possible should help things improve sooner.
I’m not sure if recron would be causing it though.

Well, well. I have done that and been there. The issue is caused by VOCs in ply, glue, paint used. This won't go away for couple of weeks. Activated charcoal helps a lot. You can buy it from amazon. You can also use air purifiers which have activated carbon. Ventilation is the best solution. If you can't ventilate much like in my case (i rely solely on AC), then you have to use above methods. Don't worry..this is not permanent.

Yeah luckily we are still finishing the other parts of the house and i've had enough time for keeping the doors and windows open for ventilation. Its been over 2 months its reduced a bit but not gone completely. I wanted to check if what I assumed was true. I will also try the charcoal idea. Thanks guys.

I have had the similar situation in my dedicated ht room that was built earlier this year. As soon as we used to enter the room there would be a burning sensation in the eyes which would last for few minutes and go completely after the AC was switched on. There is no window or any other ventilation in the room apart from a split AC and a door, which remains closed all the time. Only from last month the sensation was gone completely. I guess it was due the enamel paint and all the glue/solution used in the furniture.
How long approximately did it take to go off from the time your HT was setup? We've been trying to shoo it out everyday while we wait on the other work to get completed in the house. By the way, mine is dedicated as well.

How long approximately did it take to go off from the time your HT was setup? We've been trying to shoo it out everyday while we wait on the other work to get completed in the house. By the way, mine is dedicated as well.
My ht room was completed in the month of March and from August it went off completely. So it took around 6 months to settle down.

I have heard that there are professional cleaning services that take care of this issue. Maybe you can check with your installer.

Hi. Please post some pics of the acoustics that was done. will help others who are looking that way. BTW, ventilation is the key here. I could be gone in as short as 2 weeks to few month. Just be patient.

Cheers

Its been two years and I still face it. Only option is to keep the door open and close it when use, then there is no issue, even if I sit for multiple hours.

Since most HT are non ventilated rooms, keep the door slightly ajar, dont keep it fully shut as it causes an issue. My HT is 5 years old and I still dont shut it fully in the night.

Revoking this thread facing similar issue any new solutions or existing solutions and opinions?
That's due to paint and glue. You may need to keep the doors and windows open if possible. Avoid watching anything with the AC on with the doors shut.
I use to have this eye watering and burning sensation when the office was newly painted with the windows shut.
Especially the paint primer is the main culprit.

That's due to paint and glue. You may need to keep the doors and windows open if possible. Avoid watching anything with the AC on with the doors shut.
I use to have this eye watering and burning sensation when the office was newly painted with the windows shut.
Especially the paint primer is the main culprit.
Thanks @Nitin K do you find or tried Activated charcoal to be useful?

Thanks @Nitin K do you find or tried Activated charcoal to be useful?
Hi Raghukanth,

No, I didn't try activated charcoal but use to keep the door open and avoid staying in that room as much as possible. The burning sensation in the eyes and smell remained for more than 3 months. The primer was the main cause of the smelling/eye burning.
Better to avoid nasal polyp issues in some cases by keeping good ventilation.

Best regards,
Nitin

Last edited:
Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back