New Home Theatre System

sahilng49

Hi All,

I am looking to buy a home theatre system for my home which would have a 5.1 speaker with an AV receiver. I have a budget of around 1L for the complete setup. Thanks in advance to all the experts here.

From the market research I have done, I have shortlisted these two AV Receivers - Denon 1300 / Yamaha 481 - Both are available @40k online.
Speakers are where I am confused about what to buy.
1. First, would I need tower speakers or smaller speakers are good enough? - I have two options for system placement - either hall (14 by 22), or room (8 by 10)
2. How much watt sub-woofer would I need for a deep bass which can be felt sitting 8-10 feet away from the screen. And matching it with the two avrs and tower speakers?
3. Polk audio T series 5.1 system is available online @60k including T50, T30, T15 and PSW110 - how good will that be?
4. Which brands can I go for 5.1 package - Yamaha, Taga, Waffedale, Monitor Audio etc.?

Sorry for the long post guys, but I am totally new to all of this, so need a good advice.

Thanks again.

Hi

You need to audition as many systems possible to get an idea of what you really want....going through specs online is nice but does not serve the complete purpose as everyone has their own tastes in quality. performance, budget and expectations.....

There is a thread called 'What Should I buy' which will guide you effectively on this site where most of us have given our expert views and direction....end of the day you being the end user will need to audition and decide for yourself as in what appeals to you....

Hifi Mart, HT store, Technoguru sites sell good packages, you can compare and get the best.....also there are many dealers around, check prices and see who offers the best rate and service.....first step is to make up your mind on what you want!

As another FM commented above, what please my ears may be a disaster for you. Each brand has its own pros and cons, and selection should always depend on the user's preference. Since you are in Gurgaon, you have lot of options to audition good combos in and around NCR. Spend some time and find out what suits your taste.
Another decision you have to take is whether you are going to use your AVR in your hall or small room. I will suggest the hall as a room of size 8x10 is too small to enjoy your HT. You can also try to use your zone 2 speakers in smaller room to listen to music, if that is of your interest.
If you are purchasing tower speakers now, dont go for the subwoofer right away. Check whether the power which towers are delivering is enough before you opt for subs. Also its better to invest in better towers/surrounds now and later go for an expensive sub, rather than compromising for lower end subs with your limited budget.
Welcome to the weird world of HT. Start your audition right away, invest enough time and then finalize. Do not blindly believe in anyone , but your ears alone
Wishes for a wonderful HT journey

Hi,

Would like to thank 'efernand1' and 'itsme', for the useful replies.
I acted upon your suggestions and went on ground and auditioned as many systems as possible.

For speakers, the music quality from Dali Zensor 3 is something I am not able to forget. I would say those were the best to my ears when compared with Monitor, Wharfedale, QAcoustics and many more, although it was a tough fight between Dali and Monitor.

For Amplifier, I first had to choose between a stereo amp and an AVR. I tried Denon for AVR and Sonneteer/Denon for stereo amp.
After listening to same sound tracks on Dali 3s, I preferred Stereo amp due to the superior music quality, and the details what I was looking for, matched well with Stereo Amp.

For Stereo amp, I tried Dali 3s with Denon520AE and Sonneteer, as these were only amps available with the dealer. Sonneteer was magic while Denon was slightly below in quality. I was listening to flac tracks of 'Taal se taal mila' movie songs.
Can experts here tell me which other stereo amplifiers I should audition for Dali Zensor 3? My budget for the amp is around ~50k INR, and Sonneteer was 1+ Lacs.

Thanks in advance!

Back