New home theatre

hotranger41

Hi , Good to all forum members,
I am new to this site, and i need your advice regarding a new home theater.
I want to buy a new one and my priorities are 60/40 for movies and music. I am in fix whether i go for a single brand or purchase all components separately. my room size is12x15. I have only auditioned onkyo system till date. My budget is 2.5 lakh. I need your advice

i am bad at recommendations but there should be below components

1) Projection setup,source,storage
Good movie experience comes from a big screen, a decent PJ resolution WXGA min,diy screen,a media player(eg Himedia) , 2Tb Hdd

Dedicated cinema setup are only practical with HDD storage.Upto 120inch size screen well ripped movies of 1.5to4GB size will do well .
5.1 in soundtrack is not always needed.
May be a BDP (max 5.5k) for blu-ray.
so HDD> MediaPlayer >Projector

2)Tv setup , with 5.1ch, Sub,HD STB
Medium level AVR (dont waste money here) with discrete component will do magic .
Avoid 5.1 combo with small satellites and sub they dont do well.
Grab a decent sub and discrete pair of BS for rare speakers .
40incer tv without 3d will be good ... forum guys will give best pointers .

why not 3d ?, each 3d BDR is 1600Rs or so, 3d tech has not matured.
just 2-3 3d movies money will be wasted

HD settop box with co-ax out for 5.1 is a must

3) The Stereo setup

Dedicated stereo setup is highly recommended .
There is CDP vs DAC debate,i will leave it to the forum guys .

Some mistakes newbies will do :
They try to get best AVR not best speakers . If you cant spend on each and every components like cables /speakers etc dont buy expensive AVR .

They will try to hop onto AVR + speaker combo: Do a lott of research here even you are taking a combo. Believe me most features of AVR you will rarely use .

Speaker frequency response : Make sure atleast FS at the front go as low as 40Hz if you are not using sub

room size and speaker are unmatched : very powerful speakers in small space is a waste of money, or if you cant crank volume to lil above
average... 100W/ch Avr with smaller BS speakers as surround will do.

Expect wonders from movie speakers with AVR (as he is not very much onto music ) , as the budget is decent , i say why not go for extra stereo setup.

Spending on a good audio chain for stereo is (my advice) a must .A tripath 2020Amp with pair of good BS speakers (eg TANNOY,USHER,Monitor Audio..) and a very good source should come in this budget.

finally invest some on wallcurtains,ambilight,spot LED lights for movie room(if you have a dedicated room), atleast dark non reflecting walls are needed for optimal theatre.

Last edited:
Thanks kaushik bhai, Now i understand more about the system thanks to your valuable suggestion.
since i like both movies and music , i have already bought playstation 3 which doubles up as bluray and dvd player and plays movies from HDD also. Shall i buy both av receiver and amplier and and one 5.1 speakers.
I found 5.1 speaker system from Bose for around 60 k in internet. and my future planning is to have a designated room of size 20x 12 for this purpose. Shall i go for bose or not. And i am thinking of buying dlp projector after some time.
Once again thanks to you

@ hotranger

the PS3 was a good decision.
The bose lowend systems dont do well as forum people say ..may be 2.5L onwards bose has good offering .

Their Acoustimass lowend 5.1 are pretty bad for the price you pay.
One thing to note is dont just go by slim looks ..
most slim speakers will be inferior w.r.t. standard ones made by reputed players .

One more thingy ,
avoid 5.1 small satellite packs unless there is serious space issue .
If you can go diy route AUDEX drivers is one way : see here
The home finished speakers do look good .. and absolute VFM. As the speaker boxes are small you can easily construct
FinishedAudaxCenterMTMs004web.jpg

As your inclination is more towards movies, I would recommend the following:

Speakers:
5.1 should be good enough, or ofcourse now you have the option of having 7.2 (2 front, 2 front height, 2 surrounds, one centre and 2 subwoofers). But use 2 subwoofers only if your home theatre room is fairly big. Most of the times 1 decent sub with 12" woofer gives enough punch.
Have the 2 fronts as tower speakers which will also act as main speakers for stereo/music. The rest can be book shelf speakers (preferably) or satellites (not recommended)
Brands that can be considered:
International - Wharfedale, Jamo, PSB, Monitor Audio, Polk Audio, Mordaunt Short, JBL, Klipsch, Tannoy, B&W (high end). Indian - Sonodyne, Cadence (high end). Of course DIY speakers as GeorgeO and kaushik have mentioned. Bose is not recommended as I found (and most forum members will agree with me) them to be very less "refined-sound" for your money. Of course it has good brand value, but for that price (60K to 1 lac) you have many supremely better options available, like the ones i mentioned, in India.

AV Receiver: Heart of your system:
Buy a good mid-high end receiver. Eg. Anthem, Onkyo (TX-NR809, 717, 1009), Yamaha (RX-A1020, RX-A2020), Denon (AVR 2312, 3312), Marantz (SR6006, SR7005). Separates from Emtotiva (US based co.) are also highly recommended. Check out their website Pres & Pros | Emotiva Audio | High-end audio components for audiophiles and videophiles, spanning 2-channel music systems, as well as 5.1 and 7.1 home theaters. Products include multichannel amplifiers, stereo amplifiers, and monoblock amplifiers, as

Good quality interconnects (wires & cables)- though dont get carried away and spend too much on them, especially for digital links like HDMI cable, Optical/TOSlink cables, coaxial cables. Do spend on good speakers wires.

Search around on the forum for more recommendations and price ideas.

cheers.

Last edited:
After seeing so many reviews on denon AVR finally i made my mind. Though i was looking for DENON 1912, but made purchase for DENON 2113. I bought it from AMAZON.DE and still waiting for the delivery. This is my first purchase from any foreign online site, and don't know what will be the experience

Last edited:
Thanks kaushik bhai, Now i understand more about the system thanks to your valuable suggestion.
since i like both movies and music , i have already bought playstation 3 which doubles up as bluray and dvd player and plays movies from HDD also. Shall i buy both av receiver and amplier and and one 5.1 speakers.
I found 5.1 speaker system from Bose for around 60 k in internet. and my future planning is to have a designated room of size 20x 12 for this purpose. Shall i go for bose or not. And i am thinking of buying dlp projector after some time.
Once again thanks to you

Don't go for Bose, they cost more and for the same you can get most from other companies.

Go for Onkyo THX certified home theater.

Last edited:
After purchase , i am tracking my item online. Amazon sent the item on 9th 2012 and it reached mumbai on 11 early morning , but after that they are sending through Indian courier service. Yesterday i spoke with ups customer care and they informed me it will reaching my home today i.e 18 july. Hope it will be intact coz i don't believe these local courier services.
Once received i will post my feedback .

After purchase , i am tracking my item online. Amazon sent the item on 9th 2012 and it reached mumbai on 11 early morning , but after that they are sending through Indian courier service. Yesterday i spoke with ups customer care and they informed me it will reaching my home today i.e 18 july. Hope it will be intact coz i don't believe these local courier services.
Once received i will post my feedback .

Good luck. What speakers do you use or plan to use. Feedback and landing price please.

@hotranger41... congratulations for your purchase. Did you receive it yet? Do keep us updated. :)
For speakers, I'd like to share some experience with you that I've received from experts/gurus.
1. Don't go for BOSE. (they are overpriced and not at all VFM)
2. If possible, avoid 5.1 speaker package
3. Stick to a single brand and go for a bit higher range.

As you've purchased Denon, I'd like to suggest you to take a look at Polk Audio RTi series. They blends really well with Denon.

wow, finally received the avr (DENON 2113) after so much of waiting and thank god, it is intact and in good condition. I think if you are from metro city unlike me then you can get delivery within 5 days from amazon. For me it took 9 days and 6 days from mumbai to ranchi.
i will be auditioning polk,jamo, klipsch.

any other good set up that goes well with denon????
Your feedback is appreciated.
cheers
Vidhan

wow, finally received the avr (DENON 2113) after so much of waiting and thank god, it is intact and in good condition. I think if you are from metro city unlike me then you can get delivery within 5 days from amazon. For me it took 9 days and 6 days from mumbai to ranchi.
i will be auditioning polk,jamo, klipsch.

any other good set up that goes well with denon????
Your feedback is appreciated.
cheers
Vidhan

Congrats for the new purchase, also you are the first one here who purchased denon's this year model, so do post a review, how it sounds compared to previous year models.

I am out of town and havn't seen the avr myself. Once i will b there and test the equipment, i will post my reviews alongwith pictures of the setup.
Cheers
vidhan

Once again thanks to you

Stay away from BOSE!!!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back