New Magnepans in making: NBS prototype

Enkay78

Came across this thread in ASR

Excerpt:

Takeaway 2. NBS is fundamentally TRANSFORMATIVE to Magnepan. It will make their products more appealing and competitive.

First, NBS provides a whopping 70% reduction in size – planars go from overwhelming to more welcoming in our homes. It’s also less sensitive to positioning and room size giving us more flexibility in how we enjoy it at home.

Second, NBS delivers improved power handling, reducing the need for expensive amplifiers. The Prototype was effortlessly driven by Magnepan’s new MAC amplifier (150W/8 Ohm and 300W/ 8 Ohm), soon to be available at about $3,600.

Third, NBS saves money. Manufacturing and shipping huge panels is expensive - NBS isn’t. So Magnepan gets improved margins, their dealer base gets reenergized, and consumers get more value.

Fourth, NBS is so compelling I would be surprised if Magnepan didn’t soon revamp their 20.7, 3.7i, and 1.7i offerings.

Magnepan deserves to be congratulated for innovating new products.

If it is true then quite an exciting development.

Seems very exciting... Will start saving up for this from Jan 1.. Hopefully Magnepan comes out with a finished product by next year end... This should be something to look forward to...

That is the first time Magnepan uses Dynamic sub woofers. They are dual 6 inch open baffle and are a DSP driven class D amplifier, that drives them to perfect timing according to people who have heard it. Here are some impressions...
The only pictures i found of the subwoofer are at the Canuck audio forum. link here

The pricing most quoted will be upwards of US$8k or so. But don't know till it comes out.MagSUB.JPG

sorry. 6.5 inches . to be exact....copied from the forum.
The bass modules are 36"H x 8" wide. Each bass module is shaped like a 36" H triangle. There are 8 x 6.5" woofers per module, mounted in an open baffle configuration.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back