New McIntosh hybrid tube amp

McIntosh has a kind of house sound. If you like that sound, they are super products. Even their solid state sounds not very different from their tube amps. I would expect the hybrid amp to also follow that house sound. I would be very surprised if they moved away from their house sound because they have been very successful

Will try and listen to it... Almost all dealers sell McIntosh gear with Focal and therefore have never been able to hear the amps with any British speakers (have always liked the Brit sound). Hoping if someone else has listened to the Mac amps with other speakers...

Panditji, while macintoshs are supposed to be good with the tannoys i have always been told that they are very "american" in sound ie big/bold..my guess is something like a Naim will run it better .

Panditji, while macintoshs are supposed to be good with the tannoys i have always been told that they are very "american" in sound ie big/bold..my guess is something like a Naim will run it better .

I dont think Naim will power the prestige speakers. I demoed these speakers with my 120 watts amp in chennai and thought this speaker needs a very powerful amp.

I dont think Naim will power the prestige speakers. I demoed these speakers with my 120 watts amp in chennai and thought this speaker needs a very powerful amp.

I listen to these speakers with a 30W tube amp and know folks who use 9W 300Bs . incidentally have also heard them with a 1W MicroZTL and they struggled with Bass and macro dynamics but the tone and microdynamics were still there !

in Amplifiers, Watts could be very misleading number all by itself. It is all about Dynamic current supply capacity of an amp which is more imp.. Naim's are very very good in that regard as their power supply is one of the best in the business.
Hence getting the right current at the exact instant is more important than having a lot more even a little late...and usually the amp requirements are surprisingly lower than the power ratings shown for a speaker.

Agree to both of you. My point here is that bring the depth or details from speakers. Surprisingly it was loud enough but I felt the punch was not there. Again I agree with the tube amp cases.

Interesting thread.

Sometime back I happened to try my old pair of SHL5 with a Parasound Halo Integrated and a newish Peachtree Audio nova300; both fine machines in their own rights. Even though less expensive, when SPL matched, I would say these solid states appeared to have given a tad more 'slam' (for lack of a better word) than my faithful McIntosh; or so I thought. However, when we swapped the SHL5 back to MA2275, interestingly, the comforting yet powerful and authoritative familiar sound returned; and I couldn't complain or bother to worry changing anything afterward.

McIntosh gets a lot of flak around, I should know! The idiosyncrasies of McIntosh aren't lost on me. American muscle, house sound, acquired taste.. the list continues. McIntosh is also known for rating their power rather conservatively. Added to this, tube watts are.. well, perceived different. But for what it's worth, my decade-old MA2275/SHL5 combo unironically still sounds sweet to my ears. Although, there is probably an unhealthy amount of intrigue around PrimaLuna’s DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated lately!

Recently I had the chance to listen to a pair of SHL5+ Anniversary Edition driven by a brand new Accuphase E-650. Now, one could argue that they aren't matched well with a price and/or power point of view. Regardless, this combination sounded beautiful to me. Just delightful. Not sure about the specifics of the rest of that particular setup, but being familiar with the Harbeth sound, including an appreciation for their Plus and Anniversary editions compared to mine, I would assume the major differentiator must have been the Class A beauty itself. The overall sound signature, if I dare say, was more in line with my own MA2275/SHL5 setup; perhaps with a better low-end definition. So that's that.

As with MA252, it certainly looks good on paper; could even be a match made in hybrid heaven. Only an in-house audition can help you really decide if they are a match for your fabulous speakers and the rest of your chain.

It's the 100 Watts of McIntosh with a tube like sound which is attracting me... Anyways, I believe the only amp for demo is in Mumbai and therefore I will have to make a trip as and when I can...If any member is able to hear them in Mumbai, do keep us informed...

Unleash, good to see you back man :) It has been a long time !!

I have Zero experience with Macs.

Panditji, since you are in a mood to spend, did you take a look at that FM acoustics amp our man Dr Bass has on sale ? Knowing him, he would have tried out quite a few amps before he picked that up for his tannoy. Worth your while to have a conversation.

Last edited:
Ahhh.. looks like the new forum format pops promotionals of even very old sales listings in the bottom part of the page.I saw the FM Acoustics one recently so I thought it had come up again. But I just went and checked the original listing and it shows 2015. So it may have gone long ago !

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back