New Relevance - Idlers

reubensm

Hi all, just thought i'll post an interesting experience with a change in approach, probably a change in perceptions as well.

I am on the look out for a second TT, perhaps a Technics direct drive and have left word with a few friends. Recently I was approached by this guy from Nagercoil, Tamil Nadu offering me a vintage Garrard SP 25 MK3. He was asking for Rs.20,000 stating that it is an idler wheel based turntable. We used to own the SP25 MK1 ourselves and know how much its worth, especially if it is as good as new. Just to find out what his approach is, I engaged him in a conversation.

He said, idler wheels are back in business these days and Idler wheel turntables are going for as much as 1 lakh per piece. I told him that it may be the case for the Garrard 301 or 401 but he was saying that it is for all idler wheelers.

Now, this is interesting...on ebay and other sites, old garrards in highly used condition are available for $10 or $15...I guess these guys are googling sites and reading reviews of some kind on the 301/401 and equating it with all Garrards. By the way, this guy appeared to be a broker of 2nd hand audio goods and did not seem to know anything about them.

Just thought I'd share my experience with you all. Thanks

Something similar has happened with the used record dealers in Chor Bazaar over the past one year. Having found out about the recent vinyl resurgence, and about the costs of new LPs at the stores, they've upped their prices to between 700 and 1500 per LP, no matter what the genre, or the rarity, or the condition. Buying used LPs is a lost cause these days.

Something similar has happened with the used record dealers in Chor Bazaar over the past one year. Having found out about the recent vinyl resurgence, and about the costs of new LPs at the stores, they've upped their prices to between 700 and 1500 per LP, no matter what the genre, or the rarity, or the condition. Buying used LPs is a lost cause these days.

absolutely agree!

and with ebay / junglee around, its foolish to buy old LPs (unless they are rare, or one is looking for old hindi/ghazals)...

the new stuff is all in the range of about a 1000 odd INR!

I had a guy call me offering a 301 with two 3012 arms for 80k. I turned it down. Offered him 50k would have gone to 55-57k. But 80k???

6 months back I rescued a grey grease bearing garrard 301 idler drive transcription turntable and an sme 3009 arm from a gentleman who proposed to sell it to a raddiwallah for 300 rupees. I spent the next 3 months restoring it. While it is still a work in progress it blows my other 3 turntables into the woods ( rega p2/ technics sl d2/ emisonic dd). I've built a 40 kg plinth out of solid shisham topped with italian lavante marble and fitted an ortofon spu moving coil cartridge running through an ortofon verto step up trannie into a phase linear 4000 auto correlator pre amp and yamaha M85 ( 280 rms wpc @ 8 ohms) driving cerwin vega cls 215 + paradigm monitor 9s through sony tan 9000es power+ Nad 2700 power & Nad 1600 pre driving celestion impact 4 + Nad 2100 power &Nad 1135 pre driving Kef concord II & paradigm adp 350 dipoles (rear) + paradigm sub ps 1200 .The plinth +cart+trannie+restoration set me back 1.5 lacs but it is superlative sound. Intend to add McIntosh mc 2105 power amp driving Klipsch kg4s

another example on how records can be so heavily over priced. a few of these would be worth 50 bucks (INR)

lp records | eBay

while i agree with you bro, i guess the reason people price them foolishly high is beccause they can sell the stuff locally offline at sane prices anyday. they list em sooo high priced online so that someday, someone may, just in case......!!!

Pictures of what... The turntable or the whole jingbang?. And by the way all who have built or are in the process of building plinths for garrard 301 should collaborate in a new thread about it . I can contribute hugely but being new here dont know how to start a thread. Maybe we can collaborate within this thread. Any takers? Also please help with this: I came across a 2 year old advert by owner selling McIntosh mc2105+c28 pre +AR9 speakers (accoutic phase...prithvi). I posted wanting to know if sold or available and if sold asked to be put in touch with buyer. No response. Moderator said send him a PM. DONT KNOW HOW. WILL SOMEONE PUT HIM IN TOUCH WITH ME PLEASE!!!

Pictures of what... The turntable or the whole jingbang?. And by the way all who have built or are in the process of building plinths for garrard 301 should collaborate in a new thread about it . I can contribute hugely but being new here dont know how to start a thread. Maybe we can collaborate within this thread. Any takers? Also please help with this: I came across a 2 year old advert by owner selling McIntosh mc2105+c28 pre +AR9 speakers (accoutic phase...prithvi). I posted wanting to know if sold or available and if sold asked to be put in touch with buyer. No response. Moderator said send him a PM. DONT KNOW HOW. WILL SOMEONE PUT HIM IN TOUCH WITH ME PLEASE!!!

sutlhynt, i am in the process of building a sandstone plinth for my 401. will be putting up a detailed step by step DIY on it in a thread. would love you to contribute on it.... will start it soon. in fact the thread will cover all other aspects of restoration too!

sutlhynt, i am in the process of building a sandstone plinth for my 401. will be putting up a detailed step by step DIY on it in a thread. would love you to contribute on it.... will start it soon. in fact the thread will cover all other aspects of restoration too!

Hi Malvai,
See here for DIY soapstone plinth Presto Pirouette T18 - Drive-Line Redesign - Soapstone Plinth - w/ Pics (lots) - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums
1963 Bogen BP51HPmod_stacker on soapstone plinth - AudioKarma.org Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Regards,
Sachin

These record dealers have indeed become quite sly! Though I was a bit late getting into the game, around 2007/2008, I managed to snag some terrific records for about Rs 50 - Rs 100 each. But alas, those days are gone as well. Nowadays sellers in Chor Bazaar quote starting price of Rs 600, for something I would not pay more than 50 for. Add the name Beatles or Rolling Stones and price instantly doubles and triples! When I asked a seller why he was charging 700 Rs for a record, he said that you can buy records in shops like Rhythm House for 2k, so why can't he sell his for Rs 700. I told him he can sell his for whatever he wants, and bid him farewell!

I think the other issue is that many people pay upwards of Rs 1k to these guys, so they keep their prices high. I have bought records from other members on this site, and I have no issue paying 600-1000 Rs for a used record to a forum member. But to these sellers who don't value the music and try to con their customers, I have decided to not buy from them any longer. I can find the same records, for much cheaper including shipping price on eBay and Discogs!

These record dealers have indeed become quite sly! Though I was a bit late getting into the game, around 2007/2008, I managed to snag some terrific records for about Rs 50 - Rs 100 each. But alas, those days are gone as well. Nowadays sellers in Chor Bazaar quote starting price of Rs 600, for something I would not pay more than 50 for. Add the name Beatles or Rolling Stones and price instantly doubles and triples! When I asked a seller why he was charging 700 Rs for a record, he said that you can buy records in shops like Rhythm House for 2k, so why can't he sell his for Rs 700. I told him he can sell his for whatever he wants, and bid him farewell!

I think the other issue is that many people pay upwards of Rs 1k to these guys, so they keep their prices high. I have bought records from other members on this site, and I have no issue paying 600-1000 Rs for a used record to a forum member. But to these sellers who don't value the music and try to con their customers, I have decided to not buy from them any longer. I can find the same records, for much cheaper including shipping price on eBay and Discogs!

ditto. i stopped buying from these fellas a year ago!

^^ the case is, some records are vfm at 1k rs too. that makes em think every record is worth that much. ihave a different concern though.
when these guys fail to sell their stocks, they are invariably gonna harm em as they wont really spend much on their upkee at their shops. priceless indian titles may get damaged due to same. worse , many indian vinylphiles may not get to lay their hands on great title of past.

I am also re-building the plinth for my Lenco L75. Plan for now is to try my hands with ply CLD using 19mm marine grade plywood, with may be a layer of MDF. This will be a learner project and hopefully will graduate to slate or sandstone plinth.

@sutlhynt: Do post pics of the plinth you made.

I am excited about the prospect of trying out different material for plinths. I tried with cudappah stone on my Garrard 301 with satisfying result. The original plinth was MDF which sounded dull and coloured while the cudappah stone plinth made it sound more neutral ,clean and with richer and deeper bass though the mid is slightly thin. But overall, much better than MDF. What is sandstone? Is it different from Cudappa ? . I understand that slate is ideal for the plinth as it is softer than granite or marble. I don't know about its availability. Can anyone help?
kuruvilajacob

Yep!

I am already working on it. Now need to locate the sandstone & a laser cutting outfit.

Even waterjets will cut slate and sandstone. I'm sure such cutters can be located in NCR. If you find a laser guy, all the more better.

Do you plan to make it some sort of CLD or use a single thick layer? IMHO, if you can make it multi-layered it should be better sonically (owing to the weight) and aesthetically.

Even waterjets will cut slate and sandstone. I'm sure such cutters can be located in NCR. If you find a laser guy, all the more better.

Do you plan to make it some sort of CLD or use a single thick layer? IMHO, if you can make it multi-layered it should be better sonically (owing to the weight) and aesthetically.

dude, you know how much its gonna weigh? plus i think a single 30mm slab will be enough to damp any kind of vibrations...

try a getting hold of a 30mm thick slab, you'll know whati mean -- it'll probably be enough to set off hernia!

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back