New Setup: Thiel 1.6, MF A1008, Marantz CPD5001

Divakar7

Hi guys and gals,

here's my new set-up:

Thiel 1.6, Musical Fidelity A1008 (integrated amp, in-built DAC, separate power-supply), Marantz CDP 5001, Tascam DAT DA-P1

I have been breaking-in my Thiels with Cannonball Adderley, Miles Davis, Lee Morgan, Yusef Lateef (all Jazz) and Z.M. Dagar and Bahauddin Dagar (rudra veena), Uday Bhawalkar (Dhrupad), Akram Khan (Tabla). The Thiels sound divine! Superb wide sound imaging :yahoo:

I have tried to avoid the back wall by toeing the speakers in.

Any comments welcome!

Attachments

• DIV_0123.jpg
    DIV_0123.jpg
    11.7 KB · Views: 459
  • DIV_0124.jpg
    DIV_0124.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 454
  • DIV_0125.jpg
    DIV_0125.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 455
  • DIV_0119.jpg
    DIV_0119.jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 454
Looks divine too :)

How is the digital input compared to your a independent DAC?

Can I have a audition, if happen to be in Hyderabad sometime? :)

@Soulofmusic, you and othe audio enthusiasts are always welcome to drop by to audition. Just drop me a PM when you plan to come.

I have returned the M1 DAC since the A1008 amp has a DAC that is a predecessor to the M1. I wasn't able to hear the difference between the two while comparing them side-by-side.

Congrats Diwakar, enjoy your new toys :D

PS: Can you move that sofa???? Its blocking the left speaker - just an observation

CDP the next upgrade???? :lol:

Can you pls put up a small video of the rig in action? TIA

:)

Divakar - congrats! Looks like a lovely setup.
Maybe you can look to replace your cabinet, which is too wide for your setup.
How much did you pay for the amp?

PS: Can you move that sofa???? Its blocking the left speaker - just an observation

Maybe you can look to replace your cabinet, which is too wide for your setup.

Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do about the furniture, I have to answer to higher powers on that front. I have tried to toe-in the left speaker to avoid the sofa, but it isn't ideal. Regarding the cabinet :) This cabinet is what triggered this round of upgrades! When this custom-made cabinet to hold 500+ CDs came from Mumbai, realized that my Marantz PM7200 amp(temporarily sitting on top of the cabinet) wouldn't fit the cabinet slot. So that started my hunt for an amp that would fit! :D

@anm, i paid 1.2L for the amp because I also agreed to buy the Thiels. The MRP is upward of 2.5L

@denom CDP upgrade will probably be a multi-disc player like the Oppo 93, that I quite like. That will have to wait until I buy my TV :)

Last edited:
That is a brilliant integrated and at 1.2 lakhs it is a steal considering the fact that brand new was selling at $5,199.99 in USA.

I think you should keep it outside that cabinet for better airflow.

Thanks Venkatesh. I am using Oehlbach for digital coax, profigold optical, 18-gauge speaker wires I bought from Adelphi, Singapore, don't know the name.

@longshanks, it is a damn good deal, sonically it was a big leap forward. By order of higher authority I can't keep any audio equipment on top of the cabinet :) My old amp is there temporarily..The heat sinks in the A1008 are on the side, they have room to breath on the right, I could add some more space between the power supply.

oh you have to brain wash the higher authority constantly and subtly. I had a big av rack which I was able to move out, with a better looking but more useful.
I got a wooden cabinet made when I got an HTIB - to keep all CD and DVDs in there, and one avr, one disk player and one tatasky.
Then realized that it is high so placing a center speaker and projector screen height were issues, has disks that rattle, a sound box in itself so may muddy the lower frequencies, but mostly - hold less equipment :)
Now I got a very low cabinet that is completely open. However it is very wide. Not a big issue in my setup though.

@soulforged the amp runs warm, I can touch the heat sinks without scalding myself! Not like my older amp that could fry an egg when running on Class A :)

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back