New speakers break in process...

akilesh13

Hey Guys,

Today I'm getting my first Hi-fi system. Wharfedale 10.1 bookshelves with Marantz PM5004 stereo amp. I browsed around the internet regarding
BREAK IN. Did not get a clear idea about it. My questions are

1) What is Break in?
2) Does all the brand new speakers require a certain method for break in or only specific brands?
3) If so, for the Wharfedale 10.1 how exactly should i do the break in process?
4) Is break in applicable only for new speakers or also for new stereo amplifiers?

Sorry if my questions are lame.. I'm very new to all dis... Any help is appreciated. Thanks :D

Hey Guys,

Today I'm getting my first Hi-fi system. Wharfedale 10.1 bookshelves with Marantz PM5004 stereo amp. I browsed around the internet regarding
BREAK IN. Did not get a clear idea about it. My questions are

1) What is Break in?
2) Does all the brand new speakers require a certain method for break in or only specific brands?
3) If so, for the Wharfedale 10.1 how exactly should i do the break in process?
4) Is break in applicable only for new speakers or also for new stereo amplifiers?

Sorry if my questions are lame.. I'm very new to all dis... Any help is appreciated. Thanks :D

Many congrats on your new system....All you need to do is listen to your favourite music @ moderate listening level...

Any new speaker will take some time (break-in/Burn-in) to sound the best...Just like a new bike / new car...

roughly around < = 100 hrs of usage, it will start getting better...:eek:hyeah:

I think (if I remember correctly) on the global Wharfdale sight, they have provided documentation for the same along with diagrams. That might be useful to u...

Enjoy your new system.....

Regards,

Amit

That is a very genuine factor, but for the components with moving parts (bigger than electrons ;) ) burn-in certainly may be a reality. Speakers and TT cartridges would seem to be the mostly likely candidates.

Of course, the process of ears adjusting to the system will be continuous even if burn-in is happening.

Those with independent houses with thick walls can leave something playing on repeat all day :)

That is a very genuine factor, but for the components with moving parts (bigger than electrons ;) ) burn-in certainly may be a reality. Speakers and TT cartridges would seem to be the mostly likely candidates.

Of course, the process of ears adjusting to the system will be continuous even if burn-in is happening.

Those with independent houses with thick walls can leave something playing on repeat all day :)

Then manufacturers should actually sell the speakers that are already burned-in.
What is the point in selling stuff that would sound worse initially and gradually start sounding better with time?

What is the point in selling stuff that would sound worse initially and gradually start sounding better with time?
"Good, and will get even better," is probably how they would put it! :lol:

I have received the speakers and amp. They look absolutely stunning. I thought the cables for connecting the amp and speakers will be included with speakers in the box. :( Should i buy the cables separately? :( If so what is it?

Ya these days Speakers are not even coming with speakers, it is funny. I would advise you get some mid level Cables, i picked up Monster at around 150 per meter, there are cheaper and expensive one also available like chords and pro fx.

Then manufacturers should actually sell the speakers that are already burned-in.

There isn't only 2 ways - Agree or Argue! You can safely ignore :)

"Galileo was put on trial for questioning the Catholic faith, because he believed strongly that the Earth was not the centre of the universe."

Does that mean it will not sound like the first time you heard it?

===============================================

i dont agree..

the first time is the best time

:))

PS : just let the speakers run for about 100 hours and your ears will get adjusted to the sound.. thats what break in is. It can also refer to the process where the owner experiments with positioning the speakers and applying necessary toe-ins to get the best possible sound.

Try to leave about ( atleast ) 6 inches from the rear wall and side walls so the speakers can breathe.

mpw

The actual process of break-in/burn-in doesn't include "YOU" to sit beside. I prefer the following way and there is no way my ear can get used to the sound in this way-

1. wire the 2 speakers out of phase to each other.
2. Keep the speakers facing each other (closet possible).
3. Cover the speaker with thick piece of cloths
4. Play white noise for the recommended hours.

What is the name of the cable which connects the speakers and the amp?
Speaker cable. Seriously! :) --- this one is a simple one.

I also want to know what is biwiring...

simplified answer is --- using twice as much of the aforesaid speaker cable! For now, at least, don't worry about it. Enjoy the beginning of the path: there are all sorts of things for you to decide worthwhile-or-not in the future :)

actually Im going out rite now to purchase speaker cables... Im thinking of buying two pairs of cables.. Will the marantz PM5004 accept biwiring?

It is not about the Amp but the speakers and Wharfy does except biwiring. So, no worry.

I would say, buy good speaker cables (as much your pocket permits) and keep the other pair with you. For now go with single wiring. Let it break-in, enjoy your music for some days. Marantz with Wharfy will sound a bit bright to start with before it burns-in and settle down.

Later take out the other pair and try bi-wiring. Biwiring will further put the highs to lay back and smoothen up more. Bass will improve straight away.

Does that mean it will not sound like the first time you heard it?

:sad: Exactly my thought.

This article says that nothing is going to happen.

Most of these drivers were the product of various Asian manufacturers, none of which I had any previous experience with.
<snip>
The head of engineering recommended I take the time to burn in each candidate driver before doing any measurements as some would likely never have been burnt in at all. Being familiar with the driver manufacturing process, it was hard to imagine a driver never being exposed to a suspension-stretching stimulus, but as it turned out, some of the candidates did indeed exhibit symptoms of never having been burnt in.

<snip> Following initial burn in, suspension compliance would show the usual expected shift, then eventually drift back to and settle at a value something on the order of ~5% to 10% greater than than that measured pre-burn in. In this case, taking the time to burn in drivers was necessary.
A friend mailed me to say "That doesn't sound quite right - I mean, I personally have found that a good system sounds good right off the bat and a burn in just refines the sound - but the change is nowhere near as drastic that a tone control will make"

In other words "you are running in your ears and equalizing your expectation levels with reality"

Rabepobemababe you were right :eek:

So that's it c'est la vie. What does not sound good is never going to sound good.

ciao
gr

What does not sound good is never going to sound good.

And what sounds good now sounded good before. Or our ears adjusted. Either way.

Hmmm... I believe[d] in speaker burn in. Although I can't say I have ever actually experienced it, the concepts made sense. Another myth bites the dust? hey ho.

I believe[d] in it, despite not having any direct personal evidence. On the other hand, I have heaps of direct experience of my brain adjusting to sound that I know has not changed, and making it "better."

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back