New TV or repair present one?

Holmes

Good afternoon everyone,

This is my first post here:). Pardon for any mistakes.

I have a decade old 21" Sony Trinitron television. Everything was fine till this Tuesday. From Tuesday evening, the tv makes a loud buzzing noise while its turned ON. I can't hear the audio properly.

We watch TV for not more than 1 hour a day. Now the question is, is it worth to get it repaired (Will I get parts?) or purchase a new one?.

If I purchase a new one, I need 42" Full HD (3D is not really necessary) television. Here I need advice of experts.

1. Did Panasonic stop selling 42" Full HD televisions here in India?. In what price range 42" Full HD Plasmas retail?.

2. Anyone here have first hand experience/ seen demo of Videocon DDB LED LCD TV or normal LED LCD TV?. How is the build quality of Videocon televisions?. Again in what price range these televisions retail?.

I am not interested in brands other than Panasonic, Videocon.

Holmes - Sony that's a good brand in the earlier days. Lots of Sony TV's run for more than a decade without any problem.
You can repair the TV and continue using it. Why? Because you mentioned your watching time is only 1 hour in a day. You can check with sony service center for the parts availability.

Now - if you plan to upgrade, you can look at. Panasonic still sells 42". Specify the model you are looking at. From my take, I would run away from videocon brands (specifically TV) seeing my friend's bad experience with it (including its customer service). Some buy videocon based on the price tag which most of the time make the eye blind (because of the post-purchase hassles to deal with the customer support/service personnel).

I need to personally visit Sony service center as they are not picking up call. Will try this in the weekend, if its not possible will get a new one.

Nice to hear that Panasonic still sells 42" Plasmas. But I can't find it in their website. Can someone tell me which is the cheapest 42" Full HD Panasonic Plasma I can get?.

I've a very good experience with Videocon. Our first tv was Videocon CRT and it lasted for 15 years without single repair. Also have their washing machine which is running strongly since last 5 years. Zero issues. This is the reason why I asked about Videocon DDB TV.

do not go for the panasonic plasmas because they are not good with SD....instead you can go for the sony 42w650a led which has got fantastic reviews....

If your TV watching is no more than 1 hour per day and you are not much into movies, it makes big sense to repair the 21" Sony Trinitron. The Sony Trinitron tube was miles ahead of its generation and even today will beat most TVs in PQ including many plasmas. The only drawback I see with the option is that you will not be able to enjoy High Definition.

I took the TV to Sony service center. They said it's repairable :). Will get it back tomorrow. Thanks everyone for helping me.

-SH

The only drawback I see with the option is that you will not be able to enjoy High Definition.
12.gif

My favorite thread in this forum . Most of the time ,someone ( including me ) would have just spent 350000 to get new one . You are doing good.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back