Newbie looking for LPs

asiyer

Hullo All !

I am a relative newbie into the world of Vinyl. I am looking to acquire
* Classical Indian Music LPs (mostly vocal Hindustani/Carnatic) and
* Devotional Songs (MS Subbulakshmi, PIthukuli Murugadas, etc)

Any links/guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks
-Anand

Hullo All !

Thanks
-Anand

You can try Jitendra at Borivali, Mumbai. He used to have huge number of Hindustani vocals, but expensive. About 3-4 years back I have paid Rs. 1500-2000 for many records but they are good quality. I paid 3000 for one rare Sawai Gandharv LP. The minimum that he had was 500 bucks. You can try your luck.

Check with INDIAN VINYL RECORDS
Call them up they have a huge collection

No affiliation with them just FYI :)

Hullo All !

Thanks
-Anand

Thanks for all the inputs guys.

Attn. NavinS: I got in touch with Mr. Jitendra in Borivili (Mumbai), and he's promised to pull out a list of LP names for me in the next couple of days.

Attn. Selvin: Thanks. I will be waiting for that list of MSS LPs.

Attn. CoProcessor/Justin: Thanks. I have bookmarked Indian Vinyl Records and VinylWorld.

My current setup is a
* Marantz TT-5005, Philips Bluray Player, and a MediaTek Media Player,
* Harmon Kardon AVR255 amplifier
* Infinity Primus Speakers, and
* Panasonic 58" Plasma HDTV

I have
* A little over 200 LPs - Mostly Classic Rock (with a few Jazz, Blues, Indian Classical)
* About 2400 CDs (about equal in terms of Classic Rock, Blues and Indian Classical)

Hullo All !

Thanks
-Anand

Hello,
If you are in Delhi you can go to the place listed in this article in meena bazzar.

A guide for LP record lovers in Delhi | music | Hindustan Times

He is a bit expensive and wants 1000rs per record. I talked him (rather my wife talked him) down to 700rs per record but not any further because he knew we were from outside Indian.

Picked up 13 assorted classical albums but he has a decent varied collection.

good luck!

That's not bad! When I bought a lot of records from Jitendrabhai 3-4 years back, some records were pretty expensive - I paid INR 2,000 for a rare Sawai Gandharv LP and a Rasoolan Bai for 1,000. Many others were purchased in the range of 1,000 to 1,500. From another seller I purchased "Nau do gyarah" Bollywood LP for 2,000 but it is NM condition. In Mumbai, the regular numbers are available for 300-500 also but the condition varies.

Hullo All !

Thanks

-Anand

Hey Anand!

If you are going to build LP collection then one thing you should bear in mind
Quality is always better than quantity
Go for only good quality pressings
Also there is a myth, Good quality Vinyl is expensive. It's just a myth I have purchased good quality vinyl at 100 bucks
Now how to check good quality pressings
That only experience will teach you
Buy First Pressings, Harvest Pressings, Japanese Pressings these are generally good. Buy the ones which don't have deep scratches else it will be useless.
Generally, dealers will charge you more if you don't have idea of Vinyl.
Don't jump and buy New Vinyl which are reissued as the quality is not good enough. You will pay higher price and get poor quality. Generally in 100-150 you should get good quality Vinyl.

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am ready to buy 1000 records if u can get them for me for 100-150 rupees. Good quality,like u mentioned.

Sir, 100-150 is for the needy not the greedy. I have clarified by quality not quantity. I know a gentleman who sells his stuff to these so called dealers at a dirt price. And that's the reality. I give him 100-150 and he is satisfied because, I am a user and not a dealer and he doesn't feel cheated, that I purchased at 100-150 and sold it for 1000-1500.

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

I am also a user and not a dealer,why don't u give us the name of the gentleman who gives u quality records for 100-150 rupees please? It will benefit hundreds of users I'm sure.

Please do share with the rest of us where u get your quality records for 100-150 rupees.

Thank you.

I am also a user and not a dealer,why don't u give us the name of the gentleman who gives u quality records for 100-150 rupees please? It will benefit hundreds of users I'm sure.

Please do share with the rest of us where u get your quality records for 100-150 rupees.

Thank you.

If you want you can pick up some records from me which are double with me. That's the best I can do.

EnvyRao
Mumbai

Why not share your gentleman friends details so that we can all benefit and buy lps at the rate you have quoted? I'm also from Mumbai, I'd like to visit him. I'm sure many members from Mumbai would love to buy "quality" records for 100 rupees too. Unless you don't want to share his details, in that case it's ok.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

As far as I understand the way Jeetendra and company work is they buy in lots. I too have had offers to pick in lots. A few months back I had an offer to pick 1500 lps for 2.5 lakhs. Problem is 1200 to 1300 titles are rubbish. Actually you end up with only some 300 good titles. Further these 300 titles are the one the previous owner has listened too. So in the end the ones you want you don't get in nm quality. And since the balance 1200 titles are of no use to you you end up paying close to 1000 for the lps you want.

I have been through this a couple of times in the past and have realised it doesn't make sense to buy in lots and it is better to locate nm copies of the titles you want and pay 1000 for it. Obviously not all nm lps come for 1000:)

Last edited:
Why not share your gentleman friends details so that we can all benefit and buy lps at the rate you have quoted? I'm also from Mumbai, I'd like to visit him. I'm sure many members from Mumbai would love to buy "quality" records for 100 rupees too. Unless you don't want to share his details, in that case it's ok.

Sent from my SM-G610F using Tapatalk

I will share when time comes, for now will be happy to share additional copies with you

EnvyRao
Mumbai

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back