No sound output for only 1 video file, Denon AVR 1713

Premblr

Hi FMs,

I am not able to receive sound through my Denon 1713 for one particular DVD rip in MKV format. The movie in question is a tamil movie called "Vinnai thandi varuvaaya". My projector's tiny speakers can reproduce the sound but not through my AVR. What may be the work around?

Thanks in advance,
Prem

Please post the source through which you are trying to play this DVDrip movie in MKV format.

Thanks Manniraj, source is Panasonic BDT 220, I am reading the file from a 1TB HDD connected through the USB port of BDT 220. I thought the problem is not with the source as the tiny speakers of the projector is able to output sound.

Thanks Manniraj, source is Panasonic BDT 220, I am reading the file from a 1TB HDD connected through the USB port of BDT 220. I thought the problem is not with the source as the tiny speakers of the projector is able to output sound.

So its the BD player which you are playing the file from. Ok I think you need to check the audio codecs that has been encoded in the movie file. You can check the google to find a software to find the audio/video codec of a movie file. Then once you find out check whether the encoded audio codec of the movie file is compatible with your BD player. I presume this will not be compatible hence no sound, so you can use any converter to convert this audio to the compatible one and play the file again it should play back.
Most of the BD players does not support all formats of either audio or video codecs as part of the movie files.

My doubt still persists, as I can hear the sound output from the Projector's small speakers but not through the towers driven by AVR, I feel the issue may be with the codecs of AVR and not Blu ray player, if codecs are an issue.

My doubt still persists, as I can hear the sound output from the Projector's small speakers but not through the towers driven by AVR, I feel the issue may be with the codecs of AVR and not Blu ray player, if codecs are an issue.

In that case did you play the file in BD player connecting directly to the TV without the AVR in between. At least you can find out that your BD is playing the file fine and the AVR is not able to decode the sound coming from BD.

Prem,

I think the issue may be 5.1 Audio being packed as AAC inside the MKV container. While AC3 audio for 5.1 can be easily streamed to an AVR and they can decode/process it, most of the AVRs (including Onkyo 3300/3400/3500) are not able to recognize it.

The audio signal to your projector however is sent and received as analog as against digital stream between player and AVR.

I personally faced this issue - http://www.hifivision.com/home-theater/15385-playing-aac-audio-onkyo-3300-wdtv-live.html

To identify the codecs, you can open the file in question in VLC and use Ctrl + I to view the files codec info.

Thanks jsanand and munniraj for your insights in to this, anand, your other thread on this issue has lot of info, will try it out on the weekend.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back