Nokia Lumia Phones

Nikhil

Staff member
Would like to get some advice from all the smart phone gurus on here. Being an old school Nokia user I have some attraction to the Nokia Lumia. Have heard some good things about these phones so would like to get some research done as I tend to use phones for a long time.

First of all some background information on my cell phone usage:

1. Looking for a true business phone - would like to use Outlook.
2. Need a robust email app to handle 2-3 email accounts simultaneously.
3. Does Nokia Lumia have a BB support app like Android?
4. How well does the Windows OS integrate with desktop Win Applications?

I just checked and it looks like whatsapp is not supported. This isn't a deal breaker yet. However I'm hoping that I am not going to be swimming against the tide here.

Thanks for looking!

i am in a similar boat. have been using BB since many uears and now i am looking at a business phone - but they all look the same !!

will watch this thread.

have heard a few good things about moto x ? moto g ?

mpw

You can use multiple email accounts in any android phone. Moto G is good budgeted phone with dual sim functionality, also the performance of the phone is nice, BBM , Whatsapp, and other chat application available in Android maket u can use whatever u like.

Moto X - Nice phone with good display and battery backup . one step ahead of Moto G.

Whatsapp is supported. Runs well with Win8, was hit and miss with the earlier OS.

Multiple accounts also work fine (I have two running on mine).

It runs MS Office very well.

Dont know about BB

If we talk about windows phone they are good in their region BBM is not supporting Windows Phone till now, but in future m sure BBM also runs on windows phone, development for the same is already started .

Whatsapp is supported. Runs well with Win8, was hit and miss with the earlier OS.

Multiple accounts also work fine (I have two running on mine).

It runs MS Office very well.

Dont know about BB

Hi jai
Whatsapp has disappeared from windows store. Working for those who have installed it before but I guess no updates

Lumia and win os is decent. Depends mainly on what you want to do with your phone

Hardware is good for basic browaing, email, video

Here drive the navigation software for all lumias is probably the best navigation software I have used. Beats google maps hands down

Hi jai
Whatsapp has disappeared from windows store. Working for those who have installed it before but I guess no updates

I got an update less than a week back. There was a press article about a new version. I guess it didnt work.

Whats app is back on windows phone. Currently using a Lumia. Windows Phone is a bit different philosophy than Android. Android's strength is tweakability and its huge amount of apps. Windows Phone is no so much app centric, but function centric. So in many cases functions are integrated in the OS.

I would advice to go for windows mobile 8.1 version which has overcame initial shortcomings of windows phone.

Last edited:
If there is one reason why you should use a Nokia Lumia it must be for Office integration and smoothness of the OS. Apps are also not a problem as the general quality of the apps are way better than Android though they may be fewer in number. Don't go by specs alone and even 1 gb Ram with a Dual core processor is awesome. In android the best vfm at the moment is MOTO G

Don't worry, you'll have enough apps that we really need. OS is very smooth and simple. Whatsapp is supported. Make sure you buy the latest model with the latest OS version although you can update the OS via Zune. Outlook is available on every Windows phone and you can definitely manage multiple accounts simultaneously. I'm not sure what you mean by BB support app ?? Like running BB apps on your Windows phone ? I think BBM will run on Windows phone.

Moto E @ 7k is a super value if you are looking for Android. No need to spend even 14k for Moto G if all you need is Office apps, com apps, Push email, Skype or Viber.

Nokia still has the best hardware.

Would like to get some advice from all the smart phone gurus on here. Being an old school Nokia user I have some attraction to the Nokia Lumia. Have heard some good things about these phones so would like to get some research done as I tend to use phones for a long time.

First of all some background information on my cell phone usage:

1. Looking for a true business phone - would like to use Outlook.
2. Need a robust email app to handle 2-3 email accounts simultaneously.
3. Does Nokia Lumia have a BB support app like Android?
4. How well does the Windows OS integrate with desktop Win Applications?

I just checked and it looks like whatsapp is not supported. This isn't a deal breaker yet. However I'm hoping that I am not going to be swimming against the tide here.

Thanks for looking!

hello nikhil,
I am a happy user of lumia 520 (windows 8) except the following.
(i) Calendar entries got deleting past two weeks automatically from the phone (though its still on the outlook in the computer)
(ii) gmail will not sync automatically ( it can download new messages every 15 minutes or 30 min or hourly ,.. can be done in settings)

me too an user of N82.

i looked for moto g, but after the following...:
https://forums.motorola.com/posts/027c60e48f?page=33
hope its not against our forum rules.

One of our FM purchased Moto E recently.

regards
girish:)

Thanks for all the info guys. Very nice to get some feedback from Lumia owners.

On Sunday I got a chance to look at a Lumia 920 and it rocked. I was very impressed with how well it was put together. Very nice application set. Camera was pretty impressive even in low light. The fact that it's a large brick also appeals to me. Came away very impressed overall with the instrument.

Went online and saw that its being replaced by the Lumia 930 which is with Win 8.1.
Product not yet released but it seems to have all the pieces I am looking for.
I only hope the pricing is not too crazy.

As always feedback from those in the know is always welcome!

I have a Lumia 720 which I am using for last 2 months. Outlook integration rocks and outperforms that on my previous samsung galaxy. Most notable part is the battery, last almost 2 days easily with moderate internet and normal talking, I feel pitty on samsung galaxy users now at least in battery department who has to move around with chargers all the time. Also the app market is now much more matured although not with abundance of freebies like in android market. Call quality is very good on Lumia 720 and phone does not get heated like previous nokia smartphones if you call for long hours. The camera is awesome. The people Hub concept is too good, provides all contacts (Smail, Facebook, personal, Outlook) in one place with feeds of your friends from all social media in one unified screen, you can post the same content to facebook, twitter and linkedin in one click. Also your contacts if they are on different networks (social, professional) the People Hub will try to link them automatically to minimize looking at duplicate contacts

However I would suggest go for 8.1 OS which has many new promises like siri-alike personal assistant, better skype integration, OTG support, File Explorer, etc

From my experience a few cons with the Lumia 720
1. Video calling with front camera is only supported over skype and not for network provider video calling
2. Cannot use skype calls with bluetooth headset
3. If you enable disable too much bluetooth handsfree or more the Driving Mode then sometimes the phone hangs, battery cannot be removed, so there is a Ctrl+Atl+del kind of option
4. Software updates of apps are generally bigger in size as in comparison to android apps and their updates, for e.g:- average update on an android I have seen highest to be 24 MB for whatsapp and otherwise within 2 to 4 MB per app, here it is easily 10+ MB, so more hit on your data plan unless you do it over wifi
5. Whatsapp is a bit slower than on Android
6. You cannot organize your photos into albums and move them between existing albums, for this you need a connection to the PC

Last edited:
Thanks for all the info guys. Very nice to get some feedback from Lumia owners.

On Sunday I got a chance to look at a Lumia 920 and it rocked. I was very impressed with how well it was put together. Very nice application set. Camera was pretty impressive even in low light. The fact that it's a large brick also appeals to me. Came away very impressed overall with the instrument.

Went online and saw that its being replaced by the Lumia 930 which is with Win 8.1.
Product not yet released but it seems to have all the pieces I am looking for.
I only hope the pricing is not too crazy.

As always feedback from those in the know is always welcome!

Hi, if you are looking for a Business phone, irrespect of the OS, , you would not require those millions of application except for few real essential apps. I have been using Nokia, Nokia and Nokia since mobile phones entered our country. initially after the purchase( any phone), you will be browsing for lot of application and installing which would gradually slow down the Phone opeartion and one day ***crash***. Then again reset and start from factory settings. this would keep on going without end. As far I'm concern, i have come out of these applications crazy and settled with Lumia 820. For me messaging, Email( multiple accounts)and calender and some camera apps which are sufficient

And finally, from my experience, do not go for the new model immeidiately. B'cas, price would be reduced atleast to 40% after a year. This is applicable for all high end smart phone except iphone.

And I have whatsapp. And I plan to get a Lumia 520 for my daughter

Rgds

For the last five years, I have never ventured beyond Android and currently I am a big user of Gmail, Youtube, etc. Can we install these apps on Windows Phone ?

Gmail is not there as a separate app on windows store, may be google has not intentionally launched. But microsoft's built in email client does support GMail and the user experience is no behind than standalone apps.

For Youtube, yes it is a good point there is a app but it opens Youtube mobile in IE, kind of a shortcut, I do with mobile version of youtube in IE mostly. There are a few paid apps, but have not tried them

I found Nokia smartphone users complaining about one or something..some have migrated to android and some upgraded within nokia...
so finally asked each one about the status..and one reply was common from noika users..it hangs sometimes and applications are limited

and from android user's --battery drain is common problem

so one of the user who migrated from windows to android
told -he has opted for lenovo k900 phone , which has good battery life second it is the only phone available with intel processor so it does not hangs.

and whatever is being said about windows or android...but android is the most flexible platform..appwise, speedwise(you can clean the RAM of android devices by apps..it is not available for windows phone easily).
on a second note..since you are an audiophile..you can turn to this phone--http://www.vertu.com/en/ :licklips:

cheers

Dheeraj

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back