• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Non HDMI Marantz or Yamaha AVR 5.1 for Music

AV Cables

sgautam

Dear FMs,

I am looking for a powerful AVR under 20K. Mainly for music doubling up as HT occasionally. An old but very powerful workhorse should be absolutely fine. Regular DD / DTS with 5.1 is enough. HDMI / 7.1 / 7.2 etc not needed.

Will prefer Marantz or Yamaha.Can increase my budget is some one can spare their old NAD or Cambridge Audio AVRs, .... please do consider.

Please send in your responses quickly since I have some options which need to close by this week end.

Thanks a lot,

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

sgautam

Hi, just to clarify on the power - anything around 100-125 watt should do, thank you

venkatcr

I am looking at replacing my Onkyo 875. If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks

SwaroopKS

That is exactly the same type of AVR i am planning for. Waiting to confirm on the speakers before searching for AVR.

Wish you luck, would be nice if you could find a good vfm avr without all the useless jazz!

MaSh

Dear FMs,

I am looking for a powerful AVR under 20K. Mainly for music doubling up as HT occasionally. An old but very powerful workhorse should be absolutely fine. Regular DD / DTS with 5.1 is enough. HDMI / 7.1 / 7.2 etc not needed

I guess you should keep HDMI in the wanted list. Try not to go for an AVR older than 2-3 years, you don't want to run into chips getting weak and needing a service.

Which speakers have you got?

MaSh

efernand1

Hi

Getting a non HDMI AVR which is less than 2 or 3 years will be difficult. There are a couple of dealers on olx and quikr who sell vintage stuff etc....doubtful if these are repaired or refurbished...one needs to be cautious and check....IMHO I would check and engage with Individual sellers first as their equipment would be in better condition....

If you are looking to purchase a pre owned AVR which is more than 3 years old, make sure that the built quality is better so at least the AVR will last you a minimum 3 years till you need to service it to up keep its running performance...

All the best......a couple of Yamaha and Marantz AVRs on sale over OLX and Quikr...happy hunting!

sgautam

Hi, thanks for your inputs. I usually don't trust olz and quikr ads unless I can check and buy. That's the reason I put this listing since I am sure that I can buy eyes closed from reputed members. I never had an issue here till date either buying or selling. Very pleasant experience, kudos to the members

Coming to my requirement after listening to some new avrs and having lived with some very good older ones I felt that that I am much better off buying a nicely maintained high end older avr rather than a new one. Even if it works for 3/4 years that's enough for me. I guess its better value for money since the upgrade bug is sure to catch up.

I used Marantz sr 3001, 4400, Yamaha Rx v1500 etc and all performed superbly without any issue. They are built extremely well and sound very good.

efernand1

Hi

There is a Marantz SR 5008 on sale in Hifi Ads.....a friend of mine went to check it and it in very good condition sparingly used with original box and accessories....only thing selling for 49k....guess the seller would budge for 48k......

If you are interested, perhaps you can get a friend or relative to pick it on your behalf provided it meets your budget.

sgautam

Dear all, thanks a lot for your inputs. I am getting the Onkyo 875 from VenkatCR, thank him for a reasonable quote. It belongs to the mid range and many glowing reviews, added bonus is the HDMI and dolby true HD. Lot more power than I need, hope this will keep me happy atleast for the next 2/3 years.

MaSh

Dear all, thanks a lot for your inputs. I am getting the Onkyo 875 from VenkatCR, thank him for a reasonable quote. It belongs to the mid range and many glowing reviews, added bonus is the HDMI and dolby true HD. Lot more power than I need, hope this will keep me happy atleast for the next 2/3 years.

Super Decision. I am sure this will keep you satisfied for a couple of years.

yusuf

I have yamaha 5960, message me if interested. I have used in on rare occasion and consider as almost unused.

sgautam

Dear members,

I am very happy to share that I got the AVR today and it was extremely well packed. I am sharing a few pics to show the care Mr Venkat has taken to ensure its safety, though it was sent thru courier he arranged a seperate crate for shipping as u can see

I am just setting it up and will probably post a detailed review later, but the initial impressions are excellent, its very powerful and extremely well built. surely the high end amps do deserve a bit more for their build quality alone. probably I will simplify my setup based on this AVR, I dont think I need two setups (HT and music) separately anymore.

But once again I have to thank Mr Venkat for a reasonable quote and extra care he took to send the AVR. It reinforces my confidence on the forum. way to go really..

Last edited: