Norge Concerto Gold or Norge Mosfet 2000

vin_eme

Need a recommendation on which stereo amp to go

1. Norge concerto gold
2. Norge Mosfet Ref 2000

pls share your thoughts. This is for a collegue...

cheers,
Vince

Have you selected speakers for it? If speakers are bright, then 2000, if speakers are known to be warm then Concerto Gold. you seem to have Behringer A500 power amp with you. How is it?. I suppose it will be at least as good as offerings from Norge.

My suggestions will be the 2060 being an more vocal music fan felt they were lot better than the concerto and 2k!.though i owned only the concerto paired with wharf 9.5 and hated the combo:p (due to recessd mids!)

Have you selected speakers for it? If speakers are bright, then 2000, if speakers are known to be warm then Concerto Gold. you seem to have Behringer A500 power amp with you. How is it?. I suppose it will be at least as good as offerings from Norge.

Jaudere, this is for my colleague. I own the A500. I might go the upgrade route later (NAD or something on those sorts)
Also am not sure what he is planning to go far. Last time i spoke to him, he was talking abt Wharfs BS...

Hi vin_eme,

Another option I would suggest you is to go for a Norge Power amp(Introduced recently), and add a SSP Pre available from our FM sachin_888. It will be a very neutral sounding amp and capable of driving any BS or Floor standers. In case your friend wants to use the amp only for BS speakers I suggest that Norge 2060 will be more than sufficient power wise. But adding SSP preamp in replacement of the stock pre board, will make a huge difference in it nevertheless.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

thanks Murli, he is a novice and relies on my advices all the time for AV gear. So i will suggest him accordingly. Also is this new Power amp available on their norge website ??

Hi vin_eme,

Another option I would suggest you is to go for a Norge Power amp(Introduced recently), and add a SSP Pre available from our FM sachin_888. It will be a very neutral sounding amp and capable of driving any BS or Floor standers. In case your friend wants to use the amp only for BS speakers I suggest that Norge 2060 will be more than sufficient power wise. But adding SSP preamp in replacement of the stock pre board, will make a huge difference in it nevertheless.

Just my Rs.2/-

N.Murali

What speakers are you recommending to him and budget? Based on that you can chose the amp.

thanks Murli, he is a novice and relies on my advices all the time for AV gear. So i will suggest him accordingly. Also is this new Power amp available on their norge website ??

Nope.. But you can find them on Technoguru Norge 1200 Professional Pre & Power Amp

If he is going to get Sonodyne SIA 320, then it is better to get the speakers from Sondyne itself. Best pairing. Sonodyne Sonus BS 1501 (10K).

Nope.. But you can find them on Technoguru Norge 1200 Professional Pre & Power Amp

If he is going to get Sonodyne SIA 320, then it is better to get the speakers from Sondyne itself. Best pairing. Sonodyne Sonus BS 1501 (10K).

Sure Elango, will check on that.

What speakers are you recommending to him and budget? Based on that you can chose the amp.

He wants to start at budget level. I told him abt wharfs BS. Let me see what he likes

Planning to purchase either "Norge MOSFET Reference 2000 Stereo Amplifier" or "Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amplifier" - don't know which one to choose actually.

As I've budget constrain, I'm opting Yamaha NS-8390 Floor-standing Speakers (~15K in Hyderabad).

Will the speakers suit to either of the Amplifiers?

Norge 1000 is a neutral amp, will go well with almost any speakers. Yamaha NS8390 is strictly below average speakers (please this is my honest opinion). I feel even entry level bookshelves like wharfedale 9.2s will produce better sound. Audition and decide.

Planning to purchase either "Norge MOSFET Reference 2000 Stereo Amplifier" or "Norge Concerto Gold 1000 amplifier" - don't know which one to choose actually.

As I've budget constrain, I'm opting Yamaha NS-8390 Floor-standing Speakers (~15K in Hyderabad).

My suggestion would be that you go with Norge 2060 is the best of the Norge family except for the Pre and pwoer amp which is very good.

Yamaha NS8390 is an insult to the name yamaha and should be tossed off a bridge on railways as train is travelling at 100 kph. :p
You're better off getting a used pair of speakers from someone.

As I've budget constraint, I'm opting Yamaha NS-8390 Floor-standing Speakers (~15K in Hyderabad).

The norge 2060 gets my vote, too. But if you can stretch your budget a mite go in for the pre-power combo ie if you are hell bent on Norge. If you are open to other suggestions try the DNMs or the Telome audio amps. Here are a few links

DNM Enterprise Product

DNM Enterprise Product

http://www.telomeaudio.com/images/amp001.pdf

http://www.telomeaudio.com/images/amp002.pdf

http://www.telomeaudio.com/images/amp003.pdf

The sonodyne amps are pretty OK, too, for the price and have more features and better build quality that the Norge amps but then, the Norge amps have a definite edge over the Sonodynes when it comes to sound quality alone.

Also, avoid those Yamaha FSs, they are built to a cost and don't sound too great either. For the same budget and thereabouts go in for these

DNM Enterprise Product
You wont regret it

HTH
Cheerio

Last edited:
DNM not making towers anymore..not even on order. Says he finds it difficult to sell.

mpw

DNM not making towers anymore..not even on order. Says he finds it difficult to sell.

mpw

:sad::sad::sad:

I would still not go in for those Yamahas. Go in for DNM bookshelves or some other towers. In fact, its better to go in for stand-mounted bookshelf speakers on a budget as most budget towers mess things up, especially wrt to LF.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back