Not getting 5.1 surround sound on WD Live

canchi

Am not able to get 5.1 surround sound from my wd live. I stream files from my hdd. Source file has 5.1 sound DTS usually, my denon 1911 says stereo sound, but sound is usually 2.1. Have enabled digital audio pass thru hdmi on my WD Live.No sound from the surrounds.Artificially enhancing the sound on the denon remote ( all channels) does bring the sound in from the surrounds, but no "surround effect".On my BDP with BD discs I do get true surround effect. Help me folks....

If the audio source is DTS 5.1 then you have to use the optical audio Output from WD HD Live to get the true surround sound.

Am not able to get 5.1 surround sound from my wd live. I stream files from my hdd. Source file has 5.1 sound DTS usually, my denon 1911 says stereo sound, but sound is usually 2.1. Have enabled digital audio pass thru hdmi on my WD Live.No sound from the surrounds.Artificially enhancing the sound on the denon remote ( all channels) does bring the sound in from the surrounds, but no "surround effect".On my BDP with BD discs I do get true surround effect. Help me folks....

I take it you have hooked up the WD to your AVR via HDMI. check WD settings, there shud be something on audio stereo or digital. Also recheck the settings on 1911, its got to work. have you tried several files to play? Yes, virtual 5.1 is not going to give you the real thing, you need true 5.1 audio.

I take it you have hooked up the WD to your AVR via HDMI. check WD settings, there shud be something on audio stereo or digital. Also recheck the settings on 1911, its got to work. have you tried several files to play? Yes, virtual 5.1 is not going to give you the real thing, you need true 5.1 audio.

Yes I did try diff files.......

Lets start from the beginning:

Surround formats can be sent via digital RAW format via HDMI, Optical and Digital Coaxial.

If you have used HDMI and sent the signal as RAW then your receiver should detect it as DD or DTS which will be displayed on the receiver. If you have sent the signal as LPCM the receiver will show it as stereo digital.

Confirm that the signal is traveling as RAW DD/DTS.

Second check the HDMI settings on the receiver.

If nothing works and you don't have an optical cable at hand you can try a single AV cable to carry digital coaxial signals from your HDD player if it has one to the receiver. That will confirm if there is some problem with the player.

In the latter case you may try a firmware upgrade of the player.

Finally confirm that the source actually has DD / DTS audiostream.

Check the WD HD Specification. In that it is mentioned you have to use optical output connected to receiver to get surround sound. HDMI will downmix the DD 5.1 to 2 channel. DTS is not supported via HDMI both in WD HD TV and WD Live.

Finally confirm that the source actually has DD / DTS audiostream.

Isn't that supposed to be the first step :D

Check the WD HD Specification. In that it is mentioned you have to use optical output connected to receiver to get surround sound. HDMI will downmix the DD 5.1 to 2 channel. DTS is not supported via HDMI both in WD HD TV and WD Live.

Sorry. But the recent firmware update adds the following options for audio output:

-Stereo
-Digital passthrough through optical only
-Digital passthrough through HDMI only

canchi: why don't you upgrade the firmware and check.

hdmi digital pass thru is supposed to give you 5.1 surround...... I find it strange that optical does it and hdmi doesn't?

Sorry. But the recent firmware update adds the following options for audio output:

-Stereo
-Digital passthrough through optical only
-Digital passthrough through HDMI only

canchi: why don't you upgrade the firmware and check.

Will do, thanks

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back