Now, you can shop with Indian rupee at DDF.

hydrovac

Dubai Duty Free has begun accepting the Indian currency from July 1st onward.

The Indian rupee, that become the 16th foreign currency, will be accepted at all point of sales (POS) in Terminal 3, Terminal 1, Terminal 2 of Dubai International Airport and in Al Maktoum International Airport.

At present, the following INR denominations are being accepted: 100, 200, 500 (only the new one as earlier one is out of circulation) and 2000.
The change, however, will be handed over in UAE Dirhams.

That's good ; In May this year they did accept Indian currency in Sharjah and Muscat airports. I don't know whether it was officially announced.

Is it a testimony to the buying power (and quantum) of Indian consumers, or a faith in the stability of Rupee (and therefore the country’s trade economy)? Whatever it is, will surely save some forex for the nation.

I've always almost come via Dubai, as I need connecting flights to hyderabad. Glad to know I can pay in rupees for my beer from now onwards. Desi feel, even before landing in India :D

Yeah, the news has been doing rounds on WhatsApp groups which I usually disregard but one had a news video clip which do have have some credibility. I remember using up all the remaining dollars and falling short of cash picking up my favourite malts while coming back from vacation a couple of years back. Mercifully, they accepted my SBI Debit Card for the balance amount.

Last edited:
Yeah, the news has been doing rounds on WhatsApp groups which I usually disregard but one had a news video clip which have some credibility. I remember using up all the remaining dollars and falling short of cash picking up my favourite malts while coming back from vacation a couple of years back. Mercifully, they accepted my SBI Debit Card for the balance amount.

It's official Capt... to clear any doubts, just visit DDF website/home page and check the currency you can shop with.

INR is the 16th foreign currency of the total 17 currencies accepted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back