Nvidia Shield

Love4sound

I have purchased the Nvidia shield TV from us and will be getting it from my friend when he visits on March 1st week. I just noticed there is another by the name Nvidia shield pro which is twice the cost. Any inputs on what the differences are and if i will be missing anything? And can i directly plug it in with indian voltage or do i need a step down transformer. Will the audio and video quality be as good as a blu ray player.

I have purchased the Nvidia shield TV from us and will be getting it from my friend when he visits on March 1st week. I just noticed there is another by the name Nvidia shield pro which is twice the cost. Any inputs on what the differences are and if i will be missing anything? And can i directly plug it in with indian voltage or do i need a step down transformer. Will the audio and video quality be as good as a blu ray player.

Shield pro will have inbuilt storage of 500gb and slot to expand via memory card. Normal shield TV will be 16gb and there is no slot to expand via memory card. That's the difference. Remaining all the specs are same.

You don't need any step down transformer, you can just plug and use it.

Audio and video quality depends on the content you are watching. If you have really good quality video file, shield will render it exactly same.

Shield pro will have inbuilt storage of 500gb and slot to expand via memory card. Normal shield TV will be 16gb and there is no slot to expand via memory card. That's the difference. Remaining all the specs are same.

You don't need any step down transformer, you can just plug and use it.

Audio and video quality depends on the content you are watching. If you have really good quality video file, shield will render it exactly same.
Thanks for clearing that up. Will 16 gb be enough?

Depends on what you are doing. If you plan to put plex or kodi on it with lot of movies, metadata can quickly fill up the 16GB. But you can always use a USB 3 Pen drive/Hard Disk and expand your storage.
The main reason i am getting the shield tv is to use Plex and Kodi. So all i need to do is add an external storage to overcome space issues?

I do not see a power button on the remote. How do you turn the device on and off. And how about the battery? Does the latest model come with inbuilt rechargeable battery?

I do not see a power button on the remote. How do you turn the device on and off. And how about the battery? Does the latest model come with inbuilt rechargeable battery?

Pressing the round button will turn it on. You can turn on/off with voice control. One more thing. You need 5GHz WiFi with excellent signal to do kodi at 4k or full HD. Even good signal won't cut it.

Pressing the round button will turn it on. You can turn on/off with voice control. One more thing. You need 5GHz WiFi with excellent signal to do kodi at 4k or full HD. Even good signal won't cut it.
I dont have a 4k tv. I will be using ethernet and not wifi for 1080 p contents only

You can switch off by navigating to the wheel (i.e. Settings icon) at the top right of the home screen. When you click on that, it will give option to "Sleep Now".

Hey navin
Wanted to ask why are u buying nvidea? Since u have brp and play files thru hdd. If u wanted 4k playback why not a buy a 4k blu ray player?

Hey navin
Wanted to ask why are u buying nvidea? Since u have brp and play files thru hdd. If u wanted 4k playback why not a buy a 4k blu ray player?
Hey Akshit

Audio doesn’t work for some movies nd tv shows I download online. So thought of getting the shield. I don’t have a 4k tv. So files that are not working in Blu-ray player I’ll use shield

Last edited:
Hey Akshit

Audio doesn’t work for some movies nd tv shows I download online. So thought of getting the shield. I don’t have a 4k tv. So files that are not working in Blu-ray player I’ll use shield
are u sure its the brp problem. i feel thats the source problem !

are u sure its the brp problem. i feel thats the source problem !
I played the content through my pc connected to the avr and it worked. I also played the same content in pioneer bdp 180 and that also worked. Only my Sony player couldn’t support the audio. Since my friend is coming from us I asked him to get one. Will be getting it by next weekend

Audio passthrough is fantastic in Shield....Plex,Kodi,VLC etc

Just keep in mind Dolby Vision may not be supported.

I find PQ better with Sony BDP x700 than Shield TV.......only x700 sucks at decoding TrueHd in mkvs (audio not supported).

I empathise with OP as he has the same reason for which I also own a Shield

Audio passthrough is fantastic in Shield....Plex,Kodi,VLC etc

Just keep in mind Dolby Vision may not be supported.

I find PQ better with Sony BDP x700 than Shield TV.......only x700 sucks at decoding TrueHd in mkvs (audio not supported).

I empathise with OP as he has the same reason for which I also own a Shield
How about DTS HD master audio?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back