Obituary: Samsung PS50C6500 Plasma TV - may you live forever in your parts.

vardu

I bought my Samsung 50" plasma last year from JD electronics and was extremely pleased with it.

I had done the due diligence - compared it with Panasonic, read everything written about it on the net, figured out the requirements and went ahead and bought it in November.

The TV COMES HOME to its new place.

The electrical setup at home was as follows -

Electrical Mains - > Active Spike Trip protector (at the mains) - >Inverter (yes due to some strange requirements - the entire house circuit flowed through the inverter)->3-stage protector power strip (including TVS diode, mov)->2KV Proton Servo Stabilizer (yes the real stab) ->TV.

The setup was to let you know that I was serious about maintaining a consistent and standard power input to all the devices.

THE PROBLEM and FREQUENCY

One night in mid June the video failed and the audio was working. Changing the source didn't work and even the TV remote didn't work.
:mad:
I switched the TV off and the powered it back on and everything was back to normal.

Ten minutes later the same thing happened. Again off-on.

Fifteen minutes later same thing - Off/On

Thirty minutes later same thing - OFF /ON

Then it stopped doing that and everything was normal.

SAMSUNG'S RESPONSE

I called Samsung and they responded with a few hours and the technician came in the next day and explained that he had to replace the power circuit (smps) part.

It took about 4 days and he came in and took the TV down - opened up the back and it had barely 3 panels in it !! . He replaced it and asked me to monitor it.

RECURRENCE AND TREATMENT OF SAME ISSUE

Two weeks later the same problem - video disappearing (audio working) and off/on worked again.

July second week - another technician came and replaced the replaced panel with a newer one.

SECONDARY ISSUE and solution
In the meanwhile I had also mentioned that I was seeing a bit of TIR compared to the beginning. The Zee Cafe logo as well as TLC was leaving a big red/white ghost mark on the screen.

It was easily solved by running the plasma 127 colors for fifteen minutes - but I was wondering why it happened after 6 months and especially after the board change.

SAMSUNG VISITS AGAIN
The technician came in again and replaced the new part with the older part and asked me to monitor both ! I don't understand why he had to replace a part for that.

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST
Two days later (Third week of July) - the video conked again with a twist. The OFF/ON didn't work now. I tried various durations of 15 mins, 30 mins, and it still didn't work.

Called up Samsung again and let them know about it. In the meantime it still didn't power up regardless of the connect/reconnect of various electrical plugs and switches and arrangements.

SAMSUNG PROPOSES A DEAL

The technician came home and said that he was recommending that I get a refund! I told him that I had spent quite some time researching this model and by god I wanted a repair or replacement and not a refund!:mad:

THE STANDBY ARRIVES

One week went by and nothing - I called up samsung and they sent a standby 24" LCD (which btw was from Saravana Stores :) - though the tech denied it - there were huge stickers on 4 sides of the box).

GOODBYE

One week after that - the tech came again to get a better photocopy of the receipts/warrant/documents for the head office in delhi.

Today two service men came and said that the time had come to say goodbye to the big guy and one of them handed me a cheque :sad:

The guy at Samsung said that I could keep the standby for a few more days till I get a replacement TV.:indifferent14:

Sidenote
1. Very impressed with Samsung response times.
2. Courteous technicians
3. Annoying/incompetent phone support people as always

THE FUTURE

Well the gloom stops here- Now begins the fun part - research for a new TV - will it be a 51" or 64" 3D Plasma or a non 3D Projector :eek:hyeah:

My friend recently purchased a 50" Samsung and it too died under very similar circumstances within a week. What gives?

I remember reading an article sometime back that Samsung et.al. are not interested in carrying plasma's any more and have almost stopped supporting the whole manufacturing and development process, leave alone support,so anyone who buys plasma hereafter does so at their own risk I suppose.

Well..at least you got a refund..was it significant?

In today's age where the customer is king only till he makes the payment, this is a miracle...

Well..at least you got a refund..was it significant?

In today's age where the customer is king only till he makes the payment, this is a miracle...

FULL REFUND - but :sad: I wanted my TV back ( the same model is not available anymore and there is only 1 model with similar or more features but it is 64" and the 8000 series and much more expensive).

My friend recently purchased a 50" Samsung and it too died under very similar circumstances within a week. What gives?

I noticed similar comments on the net from folks in UK/US/Australia and Malaysia but no one else with this model has seen that problem here in Chennai/India.

I asked the Samsung guys and they said that my TV was the only one its model/size with this issue (As of NOW)

I remember reading an article sometime back that Samsung et.al. are not interested in carrying plasma's any more and have almost stopped supporting the whole manufacturing and development process, leave alone support,so anyone who buys plasma hereafter does so at their own risk I suppose.

They still are doing development in plasmas and are releasing newer models in US/UK - maybe it is not selling in large numbers in India and hence the small number of models here.

I do have full faith in Samsung support for now :lol: (having had fast responses and a great support service and complete refund).

In fact the guy who was here today had a few more cheques for some other ACs, Fridges etc.. as well as a 5 year old TV (pro-rated) because parts were not available anymore.

I am on the look out for a 42 inch plasma and is considering 43D450 or 43D490 by samsung. Is the problem faced by you will occur to these sets ?. Shall I omit them from my list ?

I am on the look out for a 42 inch plasma and is considering 43D450 or 43D490 by samsung. Is the problem faced by you will occur to these sets ?. Shall I omit them from my list ?

Given the quality of service shown by Samsung , I feel more comfortable going with Samsung for high-end purchases. There are only 3 models to choose from >=50 inches and that might make me choose another brand but I feel that I was just unlucky with that set.

I personally know two others who own these sets and they have not faced this issue and neither have others who have bought other Samsung Plasmas.

I don't want to support you or dissuade you from buying Samsung - just letting you know my comfort level with them.

guys, i am not trying to blame anyone on this but if you would have researched on the forum properly then you would always come across all reviews stating that if you buying a plasma then it has to be Panasonic.

hope this would give you a better understanding and my honest suggestion....if u want plasma then get a pana

guys, i am not trying to blame anyone on this but if you would have researched on the forum properly then you would always come across all reviews stating that if you buying a plasma then it has to be Panasonic.

hope this would give you a better understanding and my honest suggestion....if u want plasma then get a pana

Who is blaming here:eek:hyeah: Problems always will be in all TV's, no manufacturer is perfect, only the fate of yours will deceide whether it will prolong with you or just get away from you.. I do have still same 50C6500, dont have any problems.

Just to add, no body is relying on choices of this forum for TV::: See and deceide ::: as for the speakers:; Hear and deceide::: But shall give weightage to the advice, always there will be an first one to face problem on every brand and series, so for 50C6500 it is Vardu..

Last edited:
Have a few 50C6500 bought from the same store, no problems till now, and yes Samsung service has always been amazing for me.

once i sent a message through the feedback section in the Samsung website and a tech called me in an hour and asked if he can send a person to help me with installing firmware:D i explained i just had a few questions about firmware and i dont need any help in installing.

BTW i have a 50" v20 as well and no problem with the tv but the installation was not as quick as Samsung.

It is quite unfortunate that the OP had problem with this tv considering for that price there is no better tv even now,you could get the PS51D550 or the discounted V20.

both these tv's have few advantages and disadvantages compared to 50C6500.

Last edited:
Who is blaming here:eek:hyeah: Problems always will be in all TV's, no manufacturer is perfect, only the fate of yours will deceide whether it will prolong with you or just get away from you.. I do have still same 50C6500, dont have any problems.

Just to add, no body is relying on choices of this forum for TV::: See and deceide ::: as for the speakers:; Hear and deceide::: But shall give weightage to the advice, always there will be an first one to face problem on every brand and series, so for 50C6500 it is Vardu..

I agree with this

@ Denzong - I had researched both the Panasonic and Samsung at the time of purchase and for me the Samsung offered more bang for the buck and I stand by it even after this experience.

I was just unfortunate to land with the one bad piece in that lot and like I mentioned before , I am more inclined to buy a high-end Samsung product now because I can give justified extra credit to their service.

I visited the Panasonic showroom today to take a look at the V and Vt20 vt30 series and having mentally compared it again to my TV I can say now with conviction that had my Samsung model been available today I wouldn't be going there again.

I bought the exact same TV last November. So far it is performing well, though the TIR is annoying and sets in pretty fast. If it has to break down, I hope it does so within the warranty period. :)

Great to hear about the Samsung service though.

Back