Off to Japan...

sud98

I am off to Tokyo,Japan for a few days in the first week of April. Does anyone know of stuff to buy and where esp. wrt A/V but not necessarily? Generally heard that most stuff is far more expensive than other places, but its my first visit so not aware of gen. shopping options too.

Akihabara is the place to go.
Tokyo Travel: Akihabara
you will find EVERYTHIng related to audio and other lectronics here. dont expect things to be cheaper (in fact cameras etc can be cheaper in india )..but you get original MAde in Japan rather than made in China

and if you want to get Cables, this is The place.
Finally adding on to AEs reco..buy ALL the cds you can. Most made/printed/mastered in japan CDs are far better than any other..and will second his point on them being the reference

Last edited:
Sud98
Bon voyage! Generally I have heard that everything is quite expensive in Tokyo. But recently couple of people I know picked up Dslrs for very cheap prices over there, so check out the camera shops if you are interested.

hi sud98-
bon voyage and look after yourself - most importantly, have fun!

would you be interested in this? - (well. if you had the time-)

MOBILITYLAND

regds

p.s. take lots of pictures!!!:)

A must buy over any visit to Japan is the music. Whether you are into Jazz, Rock n Roll or Blues or any genre, the Japanese imports are superior to N. American and European ones in a big way. If you are into LPs, the pressings in Japan are the best in class.

Speak slowly in English as language is a slight barrier in that country.

I am off to Tokyo,Japan for a few days in the first week of April. Does anyone know of stuff to buy and where esp. wrt A/V but not necessarily? Generally heard that most stuff is far more expensive than other places, but its my first visit so not aware of gen. shopping options too.

Hi,

I had been to Tokyo 2 months back. Though you might find some items cheaper than India, most of the products there do not work in india. This has been also confirmed by my Japanese clients and colleagues in India.

Also remembert to carry a 3G phone. 2G does not work in Japan.

PM

Yes. The CDs and Bluerays are expensive compared to India. Please also check the region if you are buying video as most of them would not work unless u have a multi region BR player.

A must buy over any visit to Japan is the music. Whether you are into Jazz, Rock n Roll or Blues or any genre, the Japanese imports are superior to N. American and European ones in a big way. If you are into LPs, the pressings in Japan are the best in class.

Speak slowly in English as language is a slight barrier in that country.

I beg to disagree with that statement. Japanese imports are great with fanatic attention to detail and out of this world build quality. However, they are not ALL simply superior to American products.

For example, one of the best LP manufacturing plants in the world is in Toyokasei, Japan. Even if the build quality is first rate, it is the actual mastering that matters. Now, some of the best mastering is done right here in the USA. Steve Hoffman/Keven Gray with Acoustech and Analogue Productions. Chris Bellman at Classic Records, Bernie Grundman at ORG Records, George Marino at Sterling Sound, Stan Ricker. These guys are the majority of quality mastering engineers with all this amazing reissue Jazz, Rock etc we are getting.

However, even better than the Toyokasei plant in Japan is probably the best manufacturing plant in the world in Germany. It is the Pallas plant in Diepolz, Germany. There is RTI in the US as well, but I feel the Japanese and Pallas plants churn out better and consistent quality. Which you also pay more for.

Another thing is, Japanese pressings and masterings seem to have a different sound that is just more detailed and somewhat bright. They do tend to have a general "sound" per se, but obviously that is not the case with EVERY release. Many SHM CDs are mastered too hot for my taste, while others are amazingly warm and easy to listen to. The Japanese market has somewhat different listening preferences and their CDs etc, reflect that.

Anyhow, Japanese imports are VERY highly sought after and you really do pay for that quality. Get some software while you are there but do your research between now and the time you leave, so you KNOW what to get and what not to.

When are you going to be back from Japan exactly?

You can get "SAKE" a rice drink which is very good there :)

Thanks,
Prakash.

hi sud98-
bon voyage and look after yourself - most importantly, have fun!

would you be interested in this? - (well. if you had the time-)

MOBILITYLAND

regds

p.s. take lots of pictures!!!:)

Would love to go there, but dont think will have the time since its outside Tokyo I think. Thanks in any case.

Thanks all you guys for the inputs. I need to get visa done quickly.
PM me if you need something and I will check if I can get them.

Yes. The CDs and Bluerays are expensive compared to India. Please also check the region if you are buying video as most of them would not work unless u have a multi region BR player.

Thanks Mishrpi, need to check for a 3G phone. I have a multi region BR player so shouldnt be an issue.

Hey guys thanks for your inputs.

I did go to Akihabara and it is indeed a electronics shoppers paradise. There are buildings and buildings of electronic items. There are multiple buildings only for gaming.

Didnt see much of AV related stuff till I saw a building which I saw had two floors marked as AV (the other stores had CD/DVD...) only to find that the Japs define AV as Adult Video :lol:

BTW, the most high tech item I found in Japan was this :eek:hyeah:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

If you are into headphones, may be you can check out the JVC DX1000

hadx1000large.jpg

Have 'Tested' this model & all I can say is that 'TOTO' have totally taken 'Hands - Free' to another Level :D
This truly is something that needs to be experienced 1st hand:clapping:
Surely this is 1 Throne you would want to have installed in your house :eek:hyeah:
Add an i-pod dock & you are ready 'to-go', wat say???:p

Hey guys thanks for your inputs.

I did go to Akihabara and it is indeed a electronics shoppers paradise. There are buildings and buildings of electronic items. There are multiple buildings only for gaming.

Didnt see much of AV related stuff till I saw a building which I saw had two floors marked as AV (the other stores had CD/DVD...) only to find that the Japs define AV as Adult Video :lol:

Last edited:
Home of XRCD's ..make sure you get loads of them. I got some from yodobashi at akhiabara.. tower records it think although frightfully expensive... 3800 yen to a CD...

Hi,

I had been to Tokyo twice and this was the most high tech gadgets I have seen over there!!! Though it took some time for me to familiarize.

I had been to Akihabara and the prices of AV gear were much more expensive than in any other place. I managed to buy a "cuckoo" clock made by Citizen for nearly 8K and it is really looking good. I- pods were cheaper.

rgds,
Venu

Thanks guys. I came back empty handed from an AV perspective. The audio stores were a loot and far too expensive except to browse.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back