Ohms

sreejithsreedharan

Hi All,

I would like to know the difference between ohms, i e, 4 ohms speakers and 8 ohms.. Which is best? And is it good connecting 8 ohms amp to a 4 ohms speakers or vice verse..

Thanks a ton in advance...

Sreejith

Its always best to connect speakers with compatible amplifier.Always check amp's specifications before connecting speakers.

I would like to know the difference between ohms, i e, 4 ohms speakers and 8 ohms.. Which is best?
Its all relative. Nothing like which is best.
Speaker A which is 4 ohm could sound better than a speaker B which is 8 ohm. Speaker C which is 8 ohm could sound better than speaker A which is 4 ohm.
Buy what sounds good to you. Shortlist a few and try to get a matching amp for the speaker. Always Choose speakers first, so you will know how much power you need for it, so you can buy an appropriate amp. Buying amp first is not recommended.

And is it good connecting 8 ohms amp to a 4 ohms speakers or vice verse..
Matching speakers is not as simple as that. Frequency response and phase response of speakers play an integral role in giving a fair idea of how much power it needs. And then we can try to match speakers to an amp. Choosing an amp again is not that straightforward since there is no common measuring standard. So one amp's specs may look better than another, while it might not be (a closer inspection of specs could reveal that)!

Basically, It is not as simple as just matching power (watts) and Impedence (ohms), from speakers to amps.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back