• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Old, distressed, non-working, "dead" valve (vacuum tube) power and/or pre-amp/s for ground up restoration and eventual listening pleasure

Marantz offers at HiFiMART.com

ronniemarker

Hello fellow forum members -

here I go again - the veritable "needle in a hay stack" type of quest and pursuit !

This time, I'd like to try my luck (or, rather, the lack of it !) by inquiring if any of you yourselves have or might
know someone that has truly vintage (from the 1950s-60s-70s) valve / vacuum tube amps (power and/or pre)
of particularly USA or UK manufacture. The condition is irrelevant so long as the units are complete and
original in every respect - even if they are totally "dead" or non-functional because, IF I am so lucky as to
obtain something, then, I am planning (aspiring) to get a high-quality ground-up electronic restoration done
to the unit/s (preferably, sending them abroad to a competent technician who has access to the correct
period specific parts) and subsequently using them here - granted that this will all take more than a year in
turn around time as well as will set me back quite a few buck-aroos ! It may all eventually be worth it and
worth the wait, time and the money spent.

I am NOT allowing my hopes to rise - for the obvious reason/s of dashed hopes - however; IF someone does
have something that they do not use, need, want anymore, etc. - please do consider communicating with me.

Meanwhile - best wishes to one and all and stay / keep well and healthy !

Sincerely,

Ronnie K. Marker
Mumbai

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

JayaRaa

Hi Ronnie,

Why not acquire a unit already restored from overseas? Would save you a lot of hassle and time than carry out the exercise you are currently planning for. My humble opinion.

ronniemarker

Hi Ronnie,

Why not acquire a unit already restored from overseas? Would save you a lot of hassle and time than carry out the exercise you are currently planning for. My humble opinion.

What you say is absolutely true......perhaps, it is my masochistic alter ego that is driving me to approach it this way.........cheers !

ronniemarker

Hi,
I bought an audio Research SP 10 preamp from a used dealer in Mumbai about one and a half years ago. Sadly it turned out to be a lot junk. I took it to a technician in Bangalore who initially thought it could be saved, but after some effort said it was done for. I abandoned it in disgust (had paid 1.2 lakh) and let him keep it. If you like I can give you the mechanic's contact and may be he can give it you if it is still with him. I think he wanted it as a design guide for stuff he was designing himself.
BW
Purnendu

Hi - sorry and saddened to hear about your unfortunate Audio Research journey - but, as we all know and as many of us have experienced, there ARE quite a few unscrupulous dealers who will readily and without any compunction dupe an unsuspecting buyer. Thanks - but I will pass on your offer because it is likely setting myself up for unnecessary trouble - peace and cheers !

Trust me, don’t go as you are planning. Will be waste of time and money. If you can buy from US, there are ample choices to buy new or vintage but in perfect working condition.

Hi there - I too am strongly thinking of going that route - I have a USA background (almost 20 years' stay there) in any case and have all the wherewithall for such an endeavour - inevitably, I might just end up doing that and avoiding all the hassles and headaches that you correctly speak of - thanks for the caution and friendly advise - much appreciated - Regards

Last edited by a moderator:

JayaRaa

What you say is absolutely true......perhaps, it is my masochistic alter ego that is driving me to approach it this way.........cheers !
Enjoy your efforts & hope they pay off. Do update the thread once you manage to find something & then on its road to restoration.
GOOD LUCK

soundbuff

Hi,
I bought an audio Research SP 10 preamp from a used dealer in Mumbai about one and a half years ago. Sadly it turned out to be a lot junk. I took it to a technician in Bangalore who initially thought it could be saved, but after some effort said it was done for. I abandoned it in disgust (had paid 1.2 lakh) and let him keep it. If you like I can give you the mechanic's contact and may be he can give it you if it is still with him. I think he wanted it as a design guide for stuff he was designing himself.
BW
Purnendu

yogibear

Trust me, don’t go as you are planning. Will be waste of time and money. If you can buy from US, there are ample choices to buy new or vintage but in perfect working condition.

Nikhil

Staff member
Have to echo yogibear's comment on the quality of gear available here in India. Most of what what I have found locally has literally been someone else's junk being peddled as vintage gear. Not saying that there is nothing out there but largely the bargain hunting game is nearing it's end or has ended. The cream has already been scooped up by the early birds. There still could be something out there but the chances are slim.

In comparison, getting quality vintage gear stateside is far more easier and reliable. It all depends on what budget as well.

Good luck with your search!

ronniemarker

Thanks, very much everyone for heeding me OFF my intended idea to obtain a vintage valve (tube) amp here and reverse-restore (in a sense)
overseas and then bring it back here - come to think of it, that does seem to be a little impractical and ass-backwards as they would say !
Thanks again - will definitely share any exploits with you all as and when and IF something does transpire - meanwhile, best wishes and keep well !

Regards,

Ronnie

shafic

Hi Ronnie,
I have few vintage tube amps ( scott 299, Philips, klangfilm etc) which I want to dispose. I recently moved to new home and want to reduce my collection. If you're interested let me know.

reubensm

Restoration is fun, currently working on a couple of solid states (at snail’s pace) after which I am switching to tube restoration. All the very best for your search and resto.

yogibear

Hi Ronnie,
I have few vintage tube amps ( scott 299, Philips, klangfilm etc) which I want to dispose. I recently moved to new home and want to reduce my collection. If you're interested let me know.

Can you send me some details, pictures, thanks.