Old or new Marantz ampli for TT set up

ARNEL CERIOLA

Greetings! May I seek your advice please on which is better to use for my turntable? My speaker is a 6ohms Acosutic Energy Aegis NEO-4 and my Turntable is an Audio Technica LP120. Im presently using an Onkyo TXN-R609 but was told to use instead an integrated amplifier to better appreciate music and leave the AV receiver for the movies. I appreciate any advise wether to buy a new Marantz PM5004 or use an old Marantz PM420. Which is better? I also saw a marantz SR4000 here but the cost is same with a brand new PM5004, while this old PM420 is free and well kept. main and only purpose here is for Vinyl listening. Many thanks :)

The phono stage of some of the older marantz amplifiers are better than the newer ones. however, you may need to check if the phono stage of old amps are working before you purchase them. Ideally, it would be better if you can audition the amps side by side. The older ones are likely to win unless they have weak phono stage due to aging

In my experience phono stages in newer amps are just not that perfect and dedicated.

But it was a requisite in older amps to have a decent phono stages. After all there were very limited sources available.

But the newer amplifiers have a phono stage only as just one more source it could use as input.

I don't think they pay the amount of detail and attention to phono stages as was done in older amplifiers.

my 2 strings.

Last edited:
Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back