One more Emotiva UMC owner

GeorgeO

Got my Emotiva UMC 1 across, need to get it unboxed and hooked up asap. I also got a Harmony 880 universal remote to replace the three remotes in my HT room, hopfully it will work as well as advertised.

Congrats George
My USP-1 and XDA-1 will be in India by mid August

by the way does the UMC-1 support HDMI 1.4.
There were talks that Emotiva would be adding 1.4 support.

Not sure, let me check. They have a newer gen prepro on the anvil, and the uMC 1 is the only one now available( refurb). I think they have done various firmware upgrades to iron out some of the bugs, thats all. OK just checked the manual it says HDMI 3a compliant-so it is not HDMI 4 compliant.

At this time for me personally it doesnt make a difference.

Not sure, let me check. They have a newer gen prepro on the anvil, and the uMC 1 is the only one now available( refurb). I think they have done various firmware upgrades to iron out some of the bugs, thats all. OK just checked the manual it says HDMI 3a compliant-so it is not HDMI 4 compliant.

At this time for me personally it doesnt make a difference.

Yes the new prepro is expected soon. but the pricing kills it for me.

Georgo
Should i get the UMC-1 or USP-1.... whats your take
I would love the added flexibiliy of the UMC-1 but don't want to compromise on Stereo

Yes the new prepro is expected soon. but the pricing kills it for me.

Georgo
Should i get the UMC-1 or USP-1.... whats your take
I would love the added flexibiliy of the UMC-1 but don't want to compromise on Stereo

USP-1 if stereo is the main use, it has got rave reviews and compared to some uber expensive pre's. Infact many users on their forum claim its their best product. I am going to finalize my order for usp-1 in this week.

Let me hook it up and play with it a bit then I can comment a bit more about it.

I trust Santhosh's judgement on such matters and based on his advice bought this-my initial choice was one of Onkyo's preamp processors which are higher priced, but Santhosh is a happy owner of one of these, so I decided I would go for a value for money product. Besides for 2 channel audio I have other(higher end) systems, and this is for HT only.

USP-1 if stereo is the main use, it has got rave reviews and compared to some uber expensive pre's. Infact many users on their forum claim its their best product. I am going to finalize my order for usp-1 in this week.

Awesome.

Your Ascends would do a lot better with a dedicated Preamp. the Beresford can take a back seat and do what it does best

Awesome.

Your Ascends would do a lot better with a dedicated Preamp. the Beresford can take a back seat and do what it does best

Actually i noted that yesterday after a small experiment.

I used the fixed outputs of the caiman connected to the amplifier instead of using variable outputs and used the gain knob on the emotiva to control the volume. The sound quality increased manifold, night and day difference, i was surprised as hell :yahoo: .

With this i have concluded caiman is great as a dac only and crap when used as a preamp, just does not have enough volts in the output to drive an amplifier properly. So i am getting a quote today and finalizing Emotiva USP-1 asap.

Congratulations.

Other than a few minor glitches, post the latest firmware, the UMC is a fairly versatile device.

Recently, started using it as a source for my wireless headphones using Zone 2, which is quite useful.

For those commenting on the XMC 1, I guess the pricing is because the UMC 1 owners get a 40% discount, so one should look at that (reduced) pricing and check the value.

BTW, George did you get a rebate on the UMC due to the fact you owned a LMC?

No, the LMC was preowned-I bought it on a previous trip since at that time I wasnt interested in buying a new UMC 1-I was busy getting my Optima HD 20 and my 5 channel power amp so I didnt have the ability to do too much at one time. The discount coupon is applicable/issued only when you buy a new product from them.

Got my Emotiva UMC 1 across, need to get it unboxed and hooked up asap. I also got a Harmony 880 universal remote to replace the three remotes in my HT room, hopfully it will work as well as advertised.

Congratulations George I will connect with you shortly need some advice :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back