One more post seeking suggestion for 4" speaker

Santy

Hi guys
I understand that Illusion electra 4.1 is one of the most recommended component setup for 4" dashboard system. But I guess its not available easily. Any other good option in coaxial if not a component setup in the range of 4 - 5k. How about Polk DB401? Or do you advise that I should drill holes on the door trims and get a good 6" component pair by upping my budget? Please suggest. I am not looking for loud bass but punchy midbass. And I wish to stick to the budget for now as much as possible. I dont remember the model of Pioneer HU and Pioneer 6 x 9 inch rear speakers. Will post later if it matters.

Ohh I thought it doesn't matter. :) It is for Chevy Spark. Awaiting suggestions.

I think it might be a bit of a lost cause now. no matter how much money or power you throw at it, getting punchy bass from a 4"er in a car dashboard is a rather tall affair. I have an alpine HU and hertz speakers. Alpine HU's have much better drive than most HU's. Pioneers have a rather weak midrange that most people interpret as better bass and treble - not really.
for 4-5K, I would rather suggest you get an MDF rear tray and upgrade your back speakers

Suggestions for a Good ICE Installer In TVM - Page 6 - Team-BHP
an install I got for a friend's spark a while ago.

the fronts help with locating the sound in front of you.

OK lets forget for a moment that I don't need punchy bass (though I didn't want lot of it) what are my options for a crisp and clear sound? I somehow felt that I should be listening to sound that comes from the front. Imagine listening to stereo at your home with your back facing the speakers. I thought car is no different, so was thinking to use the dashboard slots with a pair of decent speakers. Upgrading rear speakers would mean upgrading the HU- which could turn out to be more expensive- surely on the cards, but may be later.

So Hertz DCX 100 is a good choice for the fronts? I can see its available quite easily- @ around 3000 bucks. Should I go for it? Any other option I should consider at this price point? Ready to shell out upto 5k.

Got this one installed on the dash.
KICKER-ES40.jpg

Sounds nice. Especially the female vocals.

And yeah you have said it right that even minimum essential bass from 4" is almost impossible at any price point. So different from home hifi. Since I have balanced the sound by setting the rears at lower volumes, I am missing whatever bass that came from them. So I am spoilt now and already looking for a sub. :p

Last edited:
for a spark, a sub is a bit of overkill. Try an MDF rear tray(helps a lot) and some slightly better ovals and a bit of tweaks to the eq. It should be sufficient.

for a spark, a sub is a bit of overkill. Try an MDF rear tray(helps a lot) and some slightly better ovals and a bit of tweaks to the eq. It should be sufficient.

And if I can know why?
But yes, MDF tray I am going to try first.

It's a small car. a good pair of ovals should be able to fill the car with sound. The install in the spark i showed played at very decent levels.

I agree; small cars do not need high SPL but a good LF extension can be appreciated in compact cars too. Honestly, I am not sure if the entry level sedans have more than 10 to 20% of cabin space than these. I will update after the tray upgrade.

MDF tray at the back at a lower position than the seat level with Polk or alpine type r and alpine amp would do a decent job .. Polk has a good low bass extension..

Thanks. I am getting a used Infinity Kappa 693.9i coaxials. Will mount them on a custom MDF tray as suggested.

Which Alpine amp do you suggest? Actually this is a totally unplanned upgrade I am doing after installing those dash speakers. So looking for something cheap that can keep me happy for some time. Something under 6-7K. What about JBL GT X646?

alpine amps are damn expensive. look for used kenwood/JBL amps. they should come cheap. I picked up a kenwood 4 channel for 3.2k a while ago.

That's a fact that they are expensive.., I was not following recent ones closely, but I never heard a bad one either..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back