One Plus U and Y series launched with Dolby Audio

OnePlus has launched its latest smart televisions in India as a part of the new U series and Y series. The new OnePlus Y-series TV models are priced starting at Rs. 12,999, whereas the single U-series TV will retail at Rs. 49,999. The OnePlus televisions run on Android TV 9 Pie, and offer different features, sizes, and resolutions, depending on the variant. The OnePlus TV Y series is available in two sizes - 32-inch with HD resolution (1,366x768 pixels) and 43-inch with full-HD resolution (1,920x1,080 pixels) - while the OnePlus TV U series is available in a single variant with a 55-inch Ultra-HD (3840x2160-pixel) screen.

The OnePlus TV U Series and Y Series televisions go on sale starting July 5 on Amazon. The televisions will also soon be available on the OnePlus online store, as well as through offline retail
Source

Stuck between choosing this and the tcl c715. Tcl offers a bit better PQ I guess cause of the quantum dot display. But oneplus offers better software support. Anyone has any information regarding the brightness and the contrast ratio of the oneplus? By the looks of it, it seems to have a ELED panel. And is the panel 8bit with FRC or 10 bit?

Stuck between choosing this and the tcl c715. Tcl offers a bit better PQ I guess cause of the quantum dot display. But oneplus offers better software support. Anyone has any information regarding the brightness and the contrast ratio of the oneplus? By the looks of it, it seems to have a ELED panel. And is the panel 8bit with FRC or 10 bit?
I wont expect a 10 bit panel here. And even with quantum dot, C715 has the same color range (DCI P3 93%) as One Plus U1. So both should look the same.

Last edited:
I guess for this price 8bit+ FRC is fine. Plus it supports all the HDR formats. Software backup should be good for alteast 2 years.
Yup. Both should provide similar sound and other experience. So it comes to personal preference, if not for the software goodies. I will expect OP to be a bit better in terms of software though.

Apart from the quality of producing deep black due to qled panel (on papers at least) they should be on par ... The only differences that can make or break the deal with any one of those is how these tv s handle hdr tone mapping and their capacity to produce specular highlights and motion handling. Unfortunately since both of these are indian units no acceptable reviews ll come out in near future if at all. So we ll just have to pray and rely on some forums like these and hope that some user does a better job at reviewing/comparing them in details not just shag at the name of "ooo dulby audio, boom boom"

Apart from the quality of producing deep black due to qled panel (on papers at least) they should be on par ... The only differences that can make or break the deal with any one of those is how these tv s handle hdr tone mapping and their capacity to produce specular highlights and motion handling. Unfortunately since both of these are indian units no acceptable reviews ll come out in near future if at all. So we ll just have to pray and rely on some forums like these and hope that some user does a better job at reviewing/comparing them in details not just shag at the name of "ooo dulby audio, boom boom"
Lol true. Indian reviewers are more of salesmen. Both of the tvs have the same dpi p3 coverage so I assuming it's the same. Still thinking is tcls "QLED" really worth it since on paper atleast its very similar to the OnePlus. I've mailed OnePlus asking them regarding the panel info and the brightness. Will post here if they get back

Lol true. Indian reviewers are more of salesmen. Both of the tvs have the same dpi p3 coverage so I assuming it's the same. Still thinking is tcls "QLED" really worth it since on paper atleast its very similar to the OnePlus. I've mailed OnePlus asking them regarding the panel info and the brightness. Will post here if they get back
Panel is VA Panel with 550 nits (I read somewhere, not sure). But I hate it when brands do not provide detailed specs on the website itself.

It's almost comical how these news channels also get to "review" tv s ... Just like mobile phone.

Dcip3 colour ----- oooh very nice colours
Thin bezels ----- oooh verrrry thin ekdum mast
Dolby vision ---- oooo verry vibrant colorful

Now comes the actual fun part which is rest of the 80% of the review

DOLBY ATM..... ------ stop stop, arre baba say no more, DOLBY hai toh boom boom verry nice sound, very loud. Can fill your garden or when you take it on a picnic.

Aaaand this tv has ultra cpu and with terabytes of ram which is best to play games at 8k, and this tv can also wash your dishes sometimes, and very nice battery backup with 100000mah ultra lithium ion battery. Did we mention this tv can also show your favourite ticktock videos at 4k resolution on a fullscreen mode, along with dolby sound. Yes yes DOLBY, YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT. Dolby dolby dolby boom boom.

Fin.

I think all the tvs going to perform similar below 1 lac range.if you buy a 35k iffalcon or 70 k one plus or TCL.you are not see difference more than 5-10% in PQ.Also all specs mentioned are max potential numbers if calibrated correctly means out of the box you will not see same performance specially on budget tvs.

I think for a good budget tv between 50-100k segment should have contrast ration of 3500+:1 if not 5000+:1 and brightness 800 at least if not 1000+.Unfortunately we dont have any tv below 1lac with these specs.Samsung frame would have been that tv if it had 800nits brightness but sadly it has around 550 nits.

Its feel its better to buy a 55 inch for 35-40k and use money for soundbar or something else or else get a 65 inch for 70K.rather than spending 70k for a 55 inch mid range tv which not worth IMO

It's almost comical how these news channels also get to "review" tv s ... Just like mobile phone.

Dcip3 colour ----- oooh very nice colours
Thin bezels ----- oooh verrrry thin ekdum mast
Dolby vision ---- oooo verry vibrant colorful

Now comes the actual fun part which is rest of the 80% of the review

DOLBY ATM..... ------ stop stop, arre baba say no more, DOLBY hai toh boom boom verry nice sound, very loud. Can fill your garden or when you take it on a picnic.

Aaaand this tv has ultra cpu and with terabytes of ram which is best to play games at 8k, and this tv can also wash your dishes sometimes, and very nice battery backup with 100000mah ultra lithium ion battery. Did we mention this tv can also show your favourite ticktock videos at 4k resolution on a fullscreen mode, along with dolby sound. Yes yes DOLBY, YOU HEARD THAT RIGHT. Dolby dolby dolby boom boom.

Fin.
Sincerely, I have seen videos of all famous Indian TV "reviewers" and all of them are the same crap in different packaging. Just reading out the spec sheet and features while singing praises about "Superb picture quality coz Dolby Vision, Amazing sound coz you know, Atmos bla bla". Pathetic. Even Digit has fallen to their levels. No substance at all in the reviews.

I think all the tvs going to perform similar below 1 lac range.if you buy a 35k iffalcon or 70 k one plus or TCL.you are not see difference more than 5-10% in PQ.Also all specs mentioned are max potential numbers if calibrated correctly means out of the box you will not see same performance specially on budget tvs.

I think for a good budget tv between 50-100k segment should have contrast ration of 3500+:1 if not 5000+:1 and brightness 800 at least if not 1000+.Unfortunately we dont have any tv below 1lac with these specs.Samsung frame would have been that tv if it had 800nits brightness but sadly it has around 550 nits.

Its feel its better to buy a 55 inch for 35-40k and use money for soundbar or something else or else get a 65 inch for 70K.rather than spending 70k for a 55 inch mid range tv which not worth IMO
I agree with this. We have a huge vacuum in mid range tier segment. And companies here are just interested in volume sales. If you wanna have a good TV, you need to shell out 1lac + . There's no middle ground .

Yeah I agree with you. Sadly I am in that position, I guess I'll choose oneplus for the software support, which other brands in this range don't have. I can spend the rest on a good soundbar

Panel is VA Panel with 550 nits (I read somewhere, not sure). But I hate it when brands do not provide detailed specs on the website itself.
Highly unlikely, i guess this is for the q1 model but no one is sure of that.
Yeah I agree with you. Sadly I am in that position, I guess I'll choose oneplus for the software support, which other brands in this range don't have. I can spend the rest on a good soundbar
All thing said oneplus's picture processing was a massive fail in their last tv lineup ... Mainly due to lack of expertise in this segment is my guess, since tuning display panels to the rec2020 standards need considerable amount r&d and experience. And from my own experience i can tell you when i visited oneplus store the panel looked super saturated to the point it looks plain ugly, also really struggled to play youtube 4k videos. It was a stuttering mess. Oneplus does make good phones i'll give them that, but how much expertise they have when it comes to display panels i have my reservations.

All thing said oneplus's picture processing was a massive fail in their last tv lineup ... Mainly due to lack of expertise in this segment is my guess, since tuning display panels to the rec2020 standards need considerable amount r&d and experience. And from my own experience i can tell you when i visited oneplus store the panel looked super saturated to the point it looks plain ugly, also really struggled to play youtube 4k videos. It was a stuttering mess. Oneplus does make good phones i'll give them that, but how much expertise they have when it comes to display panels i have my reservations.
I guess I'll wait for it to hit the stores and then check it myself.

Yeah. Forum members here checked it out and TCL C8 came out as the clear winner with much better picture and smoother playback.

Forum members here checked it out and TCL C8 came out as the clear winner with much better picture and smoother playback.

I believe the PQ is subjective similar to AQ. When it comes to spec, we all want the best of contrast, and HDR and colors and motions, and UI, and upscaling, and viewing angle and xyz and yxz and zxy......

How much of that is practically used in another story. It'll be important to assess how much of content we going to watch will be HDR. For me, it is expected to be 10-20%. And personally, I have seen HDR vs non-HDR content and I haven't liked those dark HDR images. Whereas many other would love that HDR. Same is with OLEDs.

Contrast ratio - we can ask for the best, but can we identify that in a blind test. I am sure many can, but as an individual, can I? This answer should decide where you want to put your money.

If you can differentiate between an 8-bit and 10-bit color in a blind test - let it matter then. Rtings folks do a great job in critically reviewing a TV - great job. They do it professionally as a part of their business. How much of that is going to impact us - we should assess that. They kept saying that Q60 has poor viewing angle and I saw a review of user (not reviewer) on YouTube with being happy with its viewing angle and sunlgith performance.

Anyway - point is, lets not get so much obsessed about nitty-grittys. While knowing specs and overall review, does matter, but that can't be generalized for everyone. Pls see it yourself and ask a question, can you differentiate it? Ask the quetion yourself of which image and videos you like - iiresepctive of all the reviews and let that be a deciding factor. And if you do have a taste for those inky blacks and infinite contrast - look no further than OLEDs!!

TVs I have seen in person : Sony W670, A9G, 950G, 800G, LG SM7600, 8100, C9, Samsung NU7100, RU7100, RU8000, Q70, TCL C2, P8E, P8, VU 75OAUHD, Pixelight, MI TV 4x, and few more.

Software support for what?i would rather buy a 35k tv and purchase fire tv 4k.It works flawlessly on my iffalcon.UI is fast and reponsive even voice command works flawlessly in youtube or netflix and offcourse on tv.

OnePlus as phone company is good but it will take them years to make good tv.Also I have not seen a single useful information about oneplus tv costing 70k.can some one tell me where can i find the info about contrast ratio,peak brightness,input lag etc etc.

I am pretty sure it will perform very similar to my 2018 iffalcon tv if we put it side by side.which i purchased for 35k.This is true for other tvs also VU and TCL and what not .For me they all are same tv.VA panels with 300-400 brightness and lot of jargons.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back