Onkyo 3100 or Logitech Z-5500

manish mundra

Hi,

I am planning to buy between 3100 or Z-5500 for my bed room and connecting it to my LCD. Onkyo 3100 is for about 17K while Z-5500 is for 15.75K. Can someone please suggest which would be better option.

Thanks.

The Logitech is just boomy bass. It is not REAL bass.

Any brand out there is better than Logitech for real tight bass.

yes edifier are available in india and they are 250 w rms.. close to 18k and a passive sub.

however no digital in.. purely analog speakers.. however i would still bet for z-5500..

lemme chk where u can get them.. not sure if you willbe able to audition them as pc based speakers are hard to be auditioned.

http://cgi.ebay.in/Edifier-Multimedia-S550-/180555971567

Last edited:
One thing that I read about Logitech Z5500 is that it supports Dolby Prologic II, which as per other web sources converts 2.1 audio content to sound in a 5.1 format. Onkyo 3100/3300 seems to be lacking this.

TheIronHorse - you seem to be having both - how do you rate sound of 2.1 sources (TV, Std DVD, MP3) on both of these. I am looking more for a surround effect with regular movies and TV content.

onkyo 3100 has prologic as well .. besides that onkyo have got neo cinema /music and cpl of other modes the

onkyo tv logic
all channel flat
mono
mono all.

i have never used logi as of now with dth as my tv is loud (42in jazz theatre) however i will be doing the same in future but i still will prefer to use tv speakers for dth.

onkyo is good for watchin tv. however i cannot comment much as the dth input it gets
if from the l+r rca analog cables.. above that dth is compressed signal ..

onkyo got more inputs than logi as it is a avr based system.. logi are pure speakers..

quality wise i can crank my logi to max in any mode and it plays without a hitch.

onkyo cannot match up there.

onkyo 3100 has prologic as well .. besides that onkyo have got neo cinema /music and cpl of other modes the

I thought you owned HTS 3300. I have compared on the HTS information published on Onkyo India website. While Onkyo 5300 has listed Dolby Prologic II Onkyo 3300 does not mentions it.

In a comparison on another website (could not locate the link) Dolby Prologic II was shown to be lacking in Onkyo HT-S3300 in comparison to Yamaha YHT 292.

Update - Just checked - Onkyo 3100 does have Dolby PLIIz. Seems Onkyo 3300 does not have it! Is there some new tech that has overridden it in Onkyo 3300.

Last edited:
I have not heard the Onkyo 3100 but I can tell you I was very disappointed with the Bass of the Z- 5500:mad:

I had bought it for my brother 2 years back & I feel sad for him:sad:

These are computer Speakers & they may be good 4 gaming but 4 Music a BIG NO!

The Sub is quite powerful but not musical & the highs are lacking.

Overall I will give it 4.5/10.

WELL fran thats personal opinion..

as u stated that that you were very disappointed by the bass of z-5500...

what caused that ?

Don't know much about the onkyo's but i own the z5500 speakers. If you dont have a good sound card there is no point in buying the z5500's. With a decent sound card you cant get the full effect of music with these speakers.

Also you need a program to tune the speakers to the way you like them. I'll give them a 9/10. they stand up pretty nice to speakers that cost way more.

Apparently the Edifier S-550D and S-750D (D denotes digital) come equipped with digital coaxial and optical inputs. I have heard the DA5000 (analog 5.1 speakers) they are very good. Puncy bass and excellent tweeter/midrange drivers. Edifier has completely changed my perception of a chinese brand.

I thought you owned HTS 3300. I have compared on the HTS information published on Onkyo India website. While Onkyo 5300 has listed Dolby Prologic II Onkyo 3300 does not mentions it.

In a comparison on another website (could not locate the link) Dolby Prologic II was shown to be lacking in Onkyo HT-S3300 in comparison to Yamaha YHT 292.

Update - Just checked - Onkyo 3100 does have Dolby PLIIz. Seems Onkyo 3300 does not have it! Is there some new tech that has overridden it in Onkyo 3300.

Yes. HT-S3300 does have your favorite Dolby Pro Logic II.
See page 28 of the manual. Get it here http://www.intl.onkyo.com/downloads/manuals/pdf/ht-s3300_manual_e.pdf

If you want virtual 5.1 there are other DSPs in HT-S3300 that do it as well.
See page 29 of the manual.
DTS Neo:6
Full Mono
All Ch Stereo

WELL fran thats personal opinion..

as u stated that that you were very disappointed by the bass of z-5500...

what caused that ?

As i said the Sub in 5500 is very powerful maybe good 4 gaming & HT but may not be 4 music.

I did'nt find the bass musical with the Philips DVDp using the Coaxial Digital out.

There maybe some other way which I don't know:)

tat might be true for a given situation.. however a sub needs to be placed properly and tweaks can always be done.. also in philips dvd player.. chk for audio settings.. instead of multi channel select stereo.. and then see the diff.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back