Onkyo 4505 or yamaha 298 or denon 1312xp

oksiva

Friends,

I have finally decided to buy one the following three htib

1)onyko 4505
2)yamaha 298
3)denon 1312xp

Though all of them are almost similar in specs I will list down the pros and cons i found with these htib

onkyo 4505:
pros:
launched recently so should have latest techonology
automatic room callibration with audyssey

cons:
only 80w sub when compared to 100w of yamaha
onkyo receivers are known for getting overheated within short time
heard that onkyo sub starts dancing during high volumes which creates irritating noise

Yamaha 298:
pros:
4k hdmi pass through
automatic room callibration

cons:
slightly outdated

Denon 1312xp
pros:
upgradable to 7.1 in future

cons:
no usb port for playing music
no arc

let me know if i am missing anything here. Help me to choose one among those three. my preference would be 50% movies, 40% tv and 10% music.

Also im not great music buff. So i would require clear, deep and loud bass and im not interested in very minute aspect. my room size is 22*12

So help me decide one of the three htib which should be good for long.

Have you auditioned all the HT packages? If not please take a audition of all the HT systems before decided one. Its you, who are going to listen the HT. So, whichever suits your tastes & feel good to your ears choose that HT.

I have not yet auditioned them and i will do it sooner.

But as i told im not very particular about minor things and hoping all of these best branded htibs will be sounding good. will update after taking demo.

I am now concerned about feature wise as it should not be outdated sooner.

Hello buddy I am also in the same bandwagon, Looking for same range of HTIB..Today I auditioned Onkyo 3400 at Reliance Digital but was very much dissatisfied with its bass quality.Will see other models demo tomorrow and let you know..

Thanks Umapati,

I was searching for a answer for this and finally you came. Dont forget share your experience and research

Hello buddy I am also in the same bandwagon, Looking for same range of HTIB..Today I auditioned Onkyo 3400 at Reliance Digital but was very much dissatisfied with its bass quality.Will see other models demo tomorrow and let you know..

HI Umapati,

Can you please let me know why you are dissatisfied with onkyo 3400? Because I am planning to buy that and many of the experts here given the positive feedback.

I have auditioned Onkyo 3400. FOR the price its not bad, but the subwoffer is weak. its a passive sub. All Htib except denon had a passive sub. passive subwoofer has its amplifier in receiver. an activevsub needs aseparate power supply. it has an amplifier built-in

I have auditioned Onkyo 3400. FOR the price its not bad, but the subwoffer is weak. its a passive sub. All Htib except denon had a passive sub. passive subwoofer has its amplifier in receiver. an activevsub needs aseparate power supply. it has an amplifier built-in

Thank God!!! Thank you Rupam. I thought there is some problem in overall sound quality.. Regarding subwoofers, I am already aware of it... No way my budget suits with this only...

Please let me know one thing. If I connect my TV to the HT through optical cable and set top box through coaxial ( any one at a time), I will get a 5.1 surround sound right?

HI Umapati,

Can you please let me know why you are dissatisfied with onkyo 3400? Because I am planning to buy that and many of the experts here given the positive feedback.

Yes..the same thing that Rupam said..Coz I am gonna listen to 50% music and 50% for movies..I am not in plan to go for seperates as my budget is arround 40K...and as far as I know Denon 1312XP HTIB gives more bass than Onkyo..Still I have not listened to Onkyo-4505 which has active sub-woofer,So, I have just started my research and the more I see the demo I will post my views.Even one dealer suggested to go for Denon 1513+Onkyo SKS-HT848 package that comes arround 45K.If anybody has this combination plz post your suggestions..I am going to see it tomorrow.

One more thing I would like to know-When there is no ARC facility in Denon 1312XP how can we connect our Digital HD set top box to AVR so as to get sound on Speaker as well as TV also. ?

Last edited:
@umapati

For 40K budget, you can always go for the separates. You can purchase a AVR with speaker package with 40-42K.

Just a suggestion. Get Yamaha RX-V371 AVR with Jamo S426 HCS3 Home Theater System.

Yamaha RX-V371 - Rs. 19K - 20K
Jamo S426 HCS3 - Rs. 20-21K

The Yamaha RX-V371 has discrete power of 100W per channel with all the latest features. Its the last year's model but a very good one.

The Jamo S426 HCS3 is a 5 speaker package contains 2 floor standing speakers, 1 center and 2 surround speakers. Its the cheapest but very good quality speaker package at this price. It has been rated twice the price. The bass is enough for a home. If needed you can always add a separate sub-woofer later.

You can take a audition at Reliance Digital at Mumbai and also these are available at various shops.

Its the best bang for your 40K budget. When I have enquired few days ago at Reliance Digital here in Tamil Nadu, the Jamo's - 20K and Yamaha RX-V371 - 20K.
Read the few reviews of Jamo S426 from below..

http://www.amazon.com/Jamo-426-HCS-WENGE-5-Piece/dp/B003GGXGU6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1357729833&sr=8-1&keywords=Jamo+S426

Jamo S426 HCS3 review from the experts at whathifi.com

Jamo S426 HCS3 5.0 speaker package review | Hi-fi and av speakers Reviews | TechRadar

Last edited:
Thanks a lot jaivelu..I really appericiate your suggestion.I will surely consider it & go for the demo..I am personally inclined towards Denon..Are there any good combination in separates for good Denon AVR within this budget..?

If you are inclined towards Denon, then consider the Denon AVR-1612. It will cost you 29K, then buy a pair of Bookself speakers like wharfedale-18K or sonodyne-12K. Later on you can add the center, surrounds and a sub-woofer. A lot of shops have these combos in Mumbai. Its just a suggestion. Get help from FMs from Mumbai, there are lot of them here.

But first take a audition, listen to different setups and then decide which one suits your tastes. At the end, it is you, who is going to listen to these beauties.

29K for Denon should be indicative price. You will get it for lesser price. I bought it one year back for 27.5K including shipping to my home.

Hi Friends, Today I have auditioned following models.

1- Onkyo 3500- Quoted Price Rs.27500/- sound was really nice. Good treble but again somewhat lacking in good bass value but not so bad. Good features.

2-Denon 1312 XP-Quoted at RS.31900/- Excellent sound quality. Thumping bass...but in treble (High frequency) I found Onkyo better

3- Dealer had Onkyo 4505 Quoted at Rs.32000/- but it was at their warehouse so couldn't manage to demo it.:-( But it has some great features.

4-Onkyo 313 connected to Onkyo 648 - 5.1 speaker system. Quoted at Rs.45900/-Crystal clear sound and good bass quality but somewhat distorted at higher volume.

5-Denon 1713+Onkyo 648 -Quoted at RS.57000/- Excellent combination. Very nice sound quality.

6-Denon 1713+paradigm Cinema 70 (5.1 Speaker system)- It was far better than the above Onkyo 648 combination. It has superb bass quality

Then I visited ProFX showroom and apart from above Denon 1312 Xp HTIB I auditioned following combination.
1-Denon 1713+Polk audio TL 1600 Quoted at Rs.63500/-
2- Denon 1612+ Polk audio TL 1600 Quoted at Rs.54500/-

Verdict: Previously I was looking for basic HTIB and was going to finalize Denon 1312XP but after listening to all this model I have decided to increase my budget and will go for Denon 1713 AVR that is for sure. Hence now I am looking suggestion for good speaker set with 1713.

I am still going to audition some other combination with denon-1713 at other showrooms this weekend.

Friends now plz help me to find some good combination. Now I am looking for a budget upto 65K

Thanks a lot for all your help..

Onkyo 4505 for 32000? Can't believe it... Here in chennai it is 39K ( Asked onkyo outlet) Can you please let me know the dealer name and whether the online shopping is applicable from that dealer?

You should consider pioneer sp-pk22bs, available at avenue sound around 35k.
Hi Friends, Today I have auditioned following models.

1- Onkyo 3500- Quoted Price Rs.27500/- sound was really nice. Good treble but again somewhat lacking in good bass value but not so bad. Good features.

2-Denon 1312 XP-Quoted at RS.31900/- Excellent sound quality. Thumping bass...but in treble (High frequency) I found Onkyo better

3- Dealer had Onkyo 4505 Quoted at Rs.32000/- but it was at their warehouse so couldn't manage to demo it.:-( But it has some great features.

4-Onkyo 313 connected to Onkyo 648 - 5.1 speaker system. Quoted at Rs.45900/-Crystal clear sound and good bass quality but somewhat distorted at higher volume.

5-Denon 1713+Onkyo 648 -Quoted at RS.57000/- Excellent combination. Very nice sound quality.

6-Denon 1713+paradigm Cinema 70 (5.1 Speaker system)- It was far better than the above Onkyo 648 combination. It has superb bass quality

Then I visited ProFX showroom and apart from above Denon 1312 Xp HTIB I auditioned following combination.
1-Denon 1713+Polk audio TL 1600 Quoted at Rs.63500/-
2- Denon 1612+ Polk audio TL 1600 Quoted at Rs.54500/-

Verdict: Previously I was looking for basic HTIB and was going to finalize Denon 1312XP but after listening to all this model I have decided to increase my budget and will go for Denon 1713 AVR that is for sure. Hence now I am looking suggestion for good speaker set with 1713.

I am still going to audition some other combination with denon-1713 at other showrooms this weekend.

Friends now plz help me to find some good combination. Now I am looking for a budget upto 65K

Thanks a lot for all your help..

You should consider pioneer sp-pk22bs, available at avenue sound around 35k.

I do not think avenuesound has stocks of PK22 and PK52 packages. You have to pay some advance to place the order and wait for the next shipment to arrive. Mostly 30 - 60 days.

Re: Onkyo 4505 or yamaha 298 or denon 1312

umapati

thanks for your detailed reply. can u please tell me how was the sound quality of denon + polk audio TL1600. I will also audition them as soon as the dealer has the stock.
I would like to request you to audition Tannoy HTS 101 . They have very good sound. The bass is very tight and deep. The soundfield is quiet expansive. I have demoed them.
Why don't you consider Energy Rc Micro

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back