Onkyo HT-R518 as 2 or 4 ch. ext amplifier?

Ketan

Hi Guys,

I have recently upgraded from Onkyo HT-R518 to Marantz SR-6013. Setting up things, adding speakers, adding channels is work in progress at this time. My plan is to gradually move from 5.1 > 7.1 >7.1.2 > 7.1.4 and eventually 7.2.4 when possible. While SR6013 can power 9.2, I will require an amp to make use of all 11 channels it seems. I was thinking of getting a decent amp that can handle center sound stage (LRC channels) making 7.2.4 possible.

While I have Onkyo HT-R518 just sitting there, I was thinking if I can use that as a 2 or 4 ch. external amplifier!? power 2 or 4 atmos channel using HT-R518? I can turn that on only when I'm going to consume atmos content, that may be more convenient as well!

I was reading some place something similar - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/can-i-use-receiver-separate-power-amp#ubZljVBFwDKojT0Q.97
Has anyone tried such thing? I'm going to take a look at my HT-R518 to see if I can feed the analog out to it and if that can be sent to amplifier ch. directly! This may not be great way to amplify atmos/surround ch. but this may help me save some that I may spend on an amplifier!!
Thoughts!!

If you do so you will be landing in a place where u have to use 2remote controls.
Audysee is big question mark during usage with practical difficulties.
If you are fixed ur mind to use it then fix up the volume in Onkyo for almost 80 -90% and select pure direct or similar to that and connect thru analog input.u can achieve for additional 2channels.
If your Onkyo supports 5.1channel analog input may be u can extend up to 4 channel as u mentioned.
Atb

If you do so you will be landing in a place where u have to use 2remote controls.
Audysee is big question mark during usage with practical difficulties.
If you are fixed ur mind to use it then fix up the volume in Onkyo for almost 80 -90% and select pure direct or similar to that and connect thru analog input.u can achieve for additional 2channels.
If your Onkyo supports 5.1channel analog input may be u can extend up to 4 channel as u mentioned.
Atb
Thank you, I see this in my old avr, need to figure out what exact settings I need on onkyo to get this input directed to amp. Yes, I may just use fixed volume control and nothing else except the amplification function off that onkyo receiver.
I'll be adding height channel 1 in another couple days, next will be height ch. 2 when I'll try this.
IMG_20190517_092437-1309x2328.jpg

Ketan, That's way far off. Dispose off the Onkyo and Yamaha 8390. Fund either a Crown XLS 1502 or Swara power amplifier. Take the plunge! you would not regret it.

Ketan, That's way far off. Dispose off the Onkyo and Yamaha 8390. Fund either a Crown XLS 1502 or Swara power amplifier. Take the plunge! you would not regret it.
Hey Arun, yeah, you're right. An external amp would be a good investment, I may just move the LCR to an external amp if I end up getting one. My HT-R518 had started to see the issue with a left surround channel, that's the reason I upgraded to new AVR. I may not get a lot disposing that off so thought of what best I can do while its sitting idle.
I'm also thinking of remaining at 5.1(or2).4 rather than going to 7.1.4, I assume I'm not going to miss a lot by not connecting surround back! I may add another pair when I acquire an external amp in future. Regarding Yamaha NS-8390, I shall put them up for sell soon.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back