Onkyo TX NR515

nsunil

Anyone knows what would it cost Onkyo TX NR-515 in India? Onkyo India website does not give MRP nor their website is updated with how to contact them. There phone number or SMS number does not work.

I don't see any dealers like Croma stocking this thing. I am in Pune and looking to buy this receiver.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

My advice: Get it from Abroad. Onkyo receivers are discounted globally except India. For eg: The 515 costs $299 on Amazon. Add a $30 tax + approx. Rs. 15000 in shipping and customs, you should still get it for under 35K. For US-procured hardware, you need to throw in another 5K for a step-down transformer. You dont have to bother with a step-down transformer if you buy it from countries where the voltage is same as India (eg: UAE, Germany etc.)

Or better still have a friend/ relative carry it in for you!

Another word of caution: There have been lots of problems reported with the entire 2012 lineup. Check this thread out: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1415258/the-official-onkyo-tx-nr414-515-616-problems-thread

I dont mean to scare you off - go through this entire thread carefully, you'll see that most of the issues are resolved through firmware upgrades and things are stabilizing.

I'd also like to add that I've heard this receiver myself in 'The Shop' in Andheri, Mumbai with Polk Audio TSi 400s, and it REALLY ROCKS!!!

I've myself also bought a 616 in Dubai and am having a friend carry it in for me towards the end of this month. Paid about 25K for a 616.

I thought over whether I should buy a product with such a doubious rating. The following points came to mind:

1) Onkyo sound ROCKS! This is just my preference, but I like it over Denon and Yamahas.
2) Comparable models by Denon etc. are not this cheap (in US). They are not discounted. For eg. a Denon 2313 costs $899 and Denon 2113 costs $649.

So net net, I had on one hand: Onkyo, which has fantastic sound, fantastic features, is REALLY REALLY CHEAP but with some stability issues which are progressively getting fixed through firmware upgrades.
On the other hand, Denon - whose sound I dont like, is more than 2x as expensive but stable.

I chose Onkyo. I figured there was no sense in paying 2x the money for a stable product whose sound I dont like in the first place.

But this logic only works taking into account the discounts that you get abroad. In India, going by MRPs, both Denon and Onkyo would probably be at the same price point.

Lastly, for Onkyo India contacts, http://www.onkyoindia.com/contact/index_sh.htm

Call up the Hyderabad Mobile No. He responds.

Caution: Foreign procured units dont get warranty coverage in India. They have to be repaired on a chargable basis.

Last edited:
Thanks Tanmay J. Right now I got no source in USA or EU. So got to buy this in India. BTW, the one which you are buying from UAE, is it 220 volts?

Anyhow, thanks for your reply, appreciate your help.

Thanks Tanmay J. Right now I got no source in USA or EU. So got to buy this in India. BTW, the one which you are buying from UAE, is it 220 volts?

Anyhow, thanks for your reply, appreciate your help.

Yes. It is 220 Volts.

And you dont need to have a 'source' (as in a friend/ relative) in USA or EU.

You can use services such as ishopinternational.com, hopshopgo.com, shopandship.com etc. to buy from US and get it shipped to India. Basically what they do is provide an address in your name in the USA. So it'll be something like TanmayJ, C/O Shopandship,...blah blah blah, USA.

What you do is, buy at Amazon or any other US based site, get it shipped to that local USA address, from where these forwarders will forward further to India. That's how this works.

I bought it from an online store called Welcome to Sharaf DG in Dubai. They offer direct shipping to India as well. I just didnt use it because I had a friend out there.

This is what I bought: ONKYO AV RECEIVER BLACK - PIECES (UP GRADE ONLY) AV Receiver Model No. TX-NR616-BK Black

It can be shipped to India as well.

I'd suggest check all these things out - all these options work out cheaper than the India cost.

Yes. It is 220 Volts.

You can use services such as ishopinternational.com, hopshopgo.com, shopandship.com etc. to buy from US and get it shipped to India. Basically what they do is provide an address in your name in the USA. So it'll be something like TanmayJ, C/O Shopandship,...blah blah blah, USA.

What you do is, buy at Amazon or any other US based site, get it shipped to that local USA address, from where these forwarders will forward further to India. That's how this works.

I bought it from an online store called Welcome to Sharaf DG in Dubai. They offer direct shipping to India as well. I just didnt use it because I had a friend out there.

This is what I bought: ONKYO AV RECEIVER BLACK - PIECES (UP GRADE ONLY) AV Receiver Model No. TX-NR616-BK Black

I'd suggest check all these things out - all these options work out cheaper than the India cost.

Sharaf directly ships to India?

Thanks Tanmay J for the reply. I logged in here with a gap so could not respond sooner. I will check the options you suggested. Thx, Sunil

The receiver you bought, the description says 'pieces only' upgrade only. Not sure what that means. Are they selling actual receiver or some part of it?
In their product list, they don't have AV receiver as a category. So that also kind of confused me.

Thanks,
Sunil

Yes. It is 220 Volts.

The receiver you bought, the description says 'pieces only' upgrade only. Not sure what that means. Are they selling actual receiver or some part of it?
In their product list, they don't have AV receiver as a category. So that also kind of confused me.

Thanks,
Sunil

Sharaf has full Amp + 5 Speaker packages for sale. Sharaf has paired Onkyo receivers with Wharfedale speakers and productized it into a 5.1 system.

So when they say 'upgrade only' they mean you have to have speakers. It's 'a piece' of the complete home theater system.

My receiver is currently with my friend and he has sent me pics. Its not pieces of the receiver. The receiver is a piece of the HT system!

one of my friend is getting Onkyo TX-NR 414 for an other friend from Dubai for 15K. The retail price in india for this model is 28 ~ 30K...

Onkyo TX-NR 818 sells for 45K discounted in Dubai..In India it is listed as 90K. :sad:

An other model is Onlyo TX-8050 stereo receiver which sells in Dubai for 22K, US for $300 .. Where as in India it is 40K.:mad:

When i called up Onkyo chennai office regarding the huge price difference, he said that they have received the price list from Onkyo Corporation of Japan :eek:hyeah: and they could offer very small discount...(this was really funny)..I said to myself Japan is where Onkyo designs the components & not price them...:yahoo:

Moreover when i insisted that the price difference is more than double, he suggested that i buy it from abroad there if price was a concern.....(Def i was not born with Silver spoon):)

Sharaf has full Amp + 5 Speaker packages for sale. Sharaf has paired Onkyo receivers with Wharfedale speakers and productized it into a 5.1 system.

So when they say 'upgrade only' they mean you have to have speakers. It's 'a piece' of the complete home theater system.

My receiver is currently with my friend and he has sent me pics. Its not pieces of the receiver. The receiver is a piece of the HT system!

Okay, not to doubt your suggestion Tanmay J. But I could not find any of these packages either. They seem to sell lot of sony/LG/Panasonic home theater packages but I did not see anything around Onkyo+Wharfdale...

anyhow, will do more homework and then make the decision on buying Onkyo receiver.... Thx for the help.

Okay, not to doubt your suggestion Tanmay J. But I could not find any of these packages either. They seem to sell lot of sony/LG/Panasonic home theater packages but I did not see anything around Onkyo+Wharfdale...

anyhow, will do more homework and then make the decision on buying Onkyo receiver.... Thx for the help.

Yeah you're right. They've been removed! But they did have 'em a few months ago...

Anyway, I've uploaded a pic of my amp which is lyin' with my friend right now... He sent me this pic... As you can see, it's a whole amp! :licklips:

Attachments

• 1359260789071.jpg
    1359260789071.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 165
Folks, I got my receiver. It's 220-240V 50-60 Hz. I'm in the proces of setting it up, so far everything looks great!

Yes. It is 220 Volts.

Truly appreciate this valuable information mate. :yahoo:

Cheers

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back