Onkyo TX SR608 has run cold - need suggestions

pannags

Hello,

After a little over 4 years of seamless operation, my Onkyo has suddenly run cold. I'm neither able to get video (over HDMI) nor audio (tried playing from the tuner).

The display on the AVR looks perfectly OK and I'm able to see & change the settings, but that's most of what my device can do at the moment.

I've verified the physical connections and executed a factory reset, but it doesn't seem to help.

Planning to take the machine to the service centre at Monday, but wanted to know from fellow owners if there's anything else obvious that I should try before.

Thanks,
Pannags

it is a famous hdmi board problem.please check you tube for diy instructions to replace the corrupt caps.its an easy job.;)

Thanks Harsha and Krell. Its close to 20 years I held a soldering gun and therefore better off heading to a professional.
For those living in the vicinity of Malleswaram, the CD shop lane on Sampige road has a small shop where AV HiFi components are repaired by an elderly gentleman. I guess I'll try there before heading to the Onkyo guys. Is it so that Onkyo will only recommend a full board replacement.

If it is a Hdmi board problem ( they do fry at the drop of a hat, ask denon owners for such harrowing tales, including yours truly :mad:) only the Hdmi output should be affected and sometimes the rgb connections do work. Look elsewhere therefore for your problem, unless an undetected spike has "deep-fried" your onkyo :sad:!
Cheers.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back