Onw question before final plunge: Denon 1912 or Onkyo NR609

manupriyam

One question before final plunge: Denon 1912 or Onkyo NR609

Folks,

This has been beaten to death without any clear verdict, hence I take the liberty of asking one final time.

Denon 1912 price is GBP279 minus 28 vat
Onkyo NR609 price is GBP 359 minus 41 vat

Looking at the quotes, price is not a factor. The shop selling these doesn;t have the setup to listen. I will be primarily interested in music and playing content over internet/network in India. Would be investing in a decent floors with center and sub. Rear may come few year later.

I am tilting towards Denon 1912. What do you say? Also which setup to go with either of them in a budget of INR 60k.

Thanks for reading and responding

Cheers

Manu

Last edited:
Re: One question before final plunge: Denon 1912 or Onkyo NR609

Speakers not decided. I will need to check what goes with the 2 in the forum but was hoping to see a sticky on the configurations.

Any suggestions?

Re: One question before final plunge: Denon 1912 or Onkyo NR609

Folks,

This has been beaten to death without any clear verdict, hence I take the liberty of asking one final time.

Denon 1912 price is GBP279 minus 28 vat
Onkyo NR609 price is GBP 359 minus 41 vat

Looking at the quotes, price is not a factor. The shop selling these doesn;t have the setup to listen. I will be primarily interested in music and playing content over internet/network in India. Would be investing in a decent floors with center and sub. Rear may come few year later.

I am tilting towards Denon 1912. What do you say? Also which setup to go with either of them in a budget of INR 60k.

Thanks for reading and responding

Cheers

Manu

If you are tilted towards music, then Onkyo cannot be your choice.
In this segment go for Yamaha 671.Equally good for both music and movies.
Denon 1912, is poor in music when compared to the Yamaha.

Thanks Dr kaushik, I took the suggestion and went for Yamaha 671. Now the quest for matching speakers begin. Any suggestion on this?

How is the group buy section here? Does it work?

Any suggestion for dealers in Bangalore who help on matching and compe to my home as well.

Cheers

Pankaj

My suggestion Sonodyne Sonus package,Wharfedale 9 series from group buy,mission package,MS aviano and on a higher price range Energy or Paradigm or Monitor audio.
Definitely audition all before buying.Take your time,carry your avr during demo.Don't hurry

Thanks again,

Sure I will audition before taking the plunge. I am only thinking of going ahead with 2.0 setup since don't want to clutter my living room with wires for some time. Should I extend this with center so that it can add to movie experience.

Any suggestions

Cheers

I ...don't want to clutter my living room with wires for some time. Should I extend this with center so that it can add to movie experience.

I concur with others suggesting the Yamaha line. I have noticed they are fully vertically integrated making everything from soup to nuts for their audio equipment. Their business is motorcycles whilst music and audio is a labor of love.

If the warden (wife) won't allow wires running to the rear channels, do have an installer put cables in the walls. It is worth it to keep peace with the womenfolk. Adding a center without the rears is like attending a symphony and sitting in the lobby. Pay the 2 rupees and have the 14 AWG run in the wall, under the floor, through the ceiling and like Cinderella, live happily ever after.

none , go for yamaha
denon's lower end models have quality issues
onkyo sounds stupid

not sure if your comment on denon is based on ur personal experience or from just reading somewhere

personally I have owned both lower end 1312 and 1612 for quite sometime and absolutely no issues both with quality of hardware and sound quality and one of my close friends bought a 1912 few days back and that set is even more amazing

1) 1912 had audyssey multeq XT, where as onkyo 609 has got lower version, the difference with XT is something you should listen to, its only present in costlier 809 of onkyo
3) yamaha doesnt have audyssey but its own YMPO which is not at all effecting since audyssey is a different technology in many high end systems
2) 1912 has airplay which is again gr8 which none of onkyo has, you can just stream music from any windows pc itunes to it
3) dlna, networking built in and the exciting one is android and iphone app to control everything on it
4) there is no heating issues as with many sets of onkyo still

and sound quality is perfect fit between most bright and less powerfull sets

I did a lot of research too before getting denon but 1912 does holds gr8 high end features which very high end avrs doesnt seem to have in this price point

Thanks Dr kaushik, I took the suggestion and went for Yamaha 671. Now the quest for matching speakers begin. Any suggestion on this?

How is the group buy section here? Does it work?

Any suggestion for dealers in Bangalore who help on matching and compe to my home as well.

Cheers

Pankaj

Hi manupriyam

How much did you pay for the Yamaha 671.

Thanks in advance buddy :)

Hi, reviving this topic...

I've been reading up a bit on 1912 vs 609 and one thing that's resounding everywhere is the Audessy MultiEQ/XT possessed by 1912. I understand that for most n00bs like me, an AVR that calibrates itself well on its own would definitely be a boon. But is the difference in the Audessy setups between the two so signifant that it might be the dealbreaking factor? Does Yamaha's YPAO technology even come in as a contender in this aspect???

Again, the other 'big' differnce often cited is Airplay. Not sure how many of us are really keen on that.

Now, what I've generally seen is that if one is completely or majorly into movies, Onkyo is the way to go. 50:50 music/movie types should consider Denon and if you are more tilted to music than movies, you should think of Yamaha (that has been my experience) or Marantz (we are not discussing the likes of CA or NAD here). Of course, YMMV but is this the rule of thumb one should follow?

So, what makes one choose or suggest one above the other?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back