Opinion wanted between Yamaha rx-v459 and Marantz sr7500

sureshmalankar

I am on the lookout for a used surround receiver. After looking around for the past two weeks I am now at a point where I have a choice between a Yamaha rx-v459(Rs.10k) and a Marantz SR7500(Rs.12k). I have gone through the reviews (didn't find too many) for both. Both of them have their share of positive reviews. The SR7500 was originally in the price range of around $1000 in 2004 I believe and the V459 was around $350-$450 in 2007. I am a newbie when it comes to these stuff. Also I am not in a position to audition either of them. So I totally rely on your opinion. Could you guys pls help me decide which one to go for considering that the Marantz is slightly higher end compared to the Yamaha but is also older.

There is one authorized service centre for yamaha in Trichy. As for Marantz, there is none. I doubt if there is one even in Chennai. Anyway I get your point and it is a valid one too considering that both the units are over 5 yrs old. But suppose we set aside the service issue for a while, how would you compare the two in terms of sound quality and features?

maratz anytime about audio quality...about feutures check exact specs..
i just saw the models..
this maratz anytime ....anytime..winner..
moreover it has all ch pre outs which is a very very expensive feuture..

Last edited:
Thank you very much prosenjit. I am myself leaning towards the Marantz and your comments have made me almost fall for it. I just need to consider that serviceability issue that you raised earlier. I will have to think about it but the way I feel now I guess I will be going for the Marantz. In any case I intend to upgrade in a couple of years and hopefully it works fine during the period.

Well..well.. prosenjit... from your BIG smile it looks like I am getting myself a good deal. Anyway it will be almost a week before the Marantz arrives. Once it does, I will let you know my impressions.

Well..well.. prosenjit... from your BIG smile it looks like I am getting myself a good deal. Anyway it will be almost a week before the Marantz arrives. Once it does, I will let you know my impressions.

What speakers do u have ? (or) which speaker have you planned to pair them up...

Well...right now Ihave no branded speakers that I can speak of. All I have is a pair of locally made towers using Dainty speakers which I got from my friend. Apart from that I have an Edifier 2.1 (S730). I am planning to use those Sats for the rear. I know this is no way to listen to a Marantz but for the moment this is it.
Coming to speak of it, I was wondering whether I can use the sub-woofer of the Edifier for the receiver. If so, how should I be connecting it? Cause the Edifier's input is stereo and I am not sure if connecting the sub-out of the receiver to just either the left or right input of the woofer would give any kind of good result.

Of course, in the next couple of months I would try get some good speakers to go along with the receiver.

Last edited:
I am curious what your opinion is of this receiver. I also picked one up second-hand (over a year ago now) and so far have been very impressed. No issues whatsoever. Mine is used strictly for movies and powers my rather inefficient speakers with ease.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back