Oppo 93 vs DAC (under 25k) vs CDP

krishpiscean

For a moderate budget setup at 1L, which of the following sources makes more value within 25k budget

1. Oppo 93 - 500 USD
2. MF V1 DAC 18k, dacmagic etc under 25k INR
3. Entry level CDP under 25k INR
4. Marantz NA7004 network player with inbuilt DAC - 610 SGD

Oppo- 93 if purchased would be purely for audio purpose in the near future, so is this better off than buying a DAC under 25k ? Any comparisons with oppo dac vs standalone dac ?

TIA

For a moderate budget setup at 1L, which of the following sources makes more value within 25k budget

1. Oppo 93 - 500 USD
2. MF V1 DAC 18k, dacmagic etc under 25k INR
3. Entry level CDP under 25k INR
4. Marantz NA7004 network player with inbuilt DAC - 610 SGD

Oppo- 93 if purchased would be purely for audio purpose in the near future, so is this better off than buying a DAC under 25k ? Any comparisons with oppo dac vs standalone dac ?

TIA

Sajjad has oppo 93.
We are planning to match it against M1 DAC next weekend.
Come along.

You can safely omit option 3.

I think even the entry level CDP will beat the Oppo.

The Oppo is good as a multipurpose device but I dont think it will beat a 25k CD player.

Noobie question: can Oppo 93 and 95 be used as DACs? If yes, what types of inputs do they support?

My understanding is the 95 uses two Sabre 32-bit DAC chips for the stereo, and a few more for multichannel audio.

I think even the entry level CDP will beat the Oppo. The Oppo is good as a multipurpose device but I dont think it will beat a 25k CD player.

That is a bold statement. Have you heard the Oppo's as a CDP? Forget the BDP, have you heard the original DVDPs?

Cheers

I think if somebody has a consumer level CD/DVD player (E.g old Philips/Samsung/LG/ or any other) already then the Entry Level CD players can be omitted and the money can be invested in a DAC which can accept the Cox/Optical signal from the old player. Result will be better I believe

I would take a different approach. The biggest factors that impact the soundstage, details, imaging etc are Speakers, placement, acoustics and how other things are placed inside the room. Then will come the electronics like DAC. Many people just concentrate on electronics or components and overlook the basics. The DAC's do make a difference, but those are quite subtle. If the basics are not covered properly, I am doubtful one can hear those subtle differences.

Krish, we heard the difference in action at Divakar's place y'day. The Oppo beat the Marantz CD5001. Even Divakar commented on it.

I think - not having heard the M1 & NA7004, hence hazarding a guess based on forum posts - M1 > NA7004 > Oppo > Entry level CDP. But then, the Oppo is more than a CDP so you are getting more in the bargain. A network player is a specialized device and you have to see how it fits into your setup and only then bring it into the comparison.

Since you have a growing collection of BDs, get the Oppo & you are set for sometime. I would be quite happy to live with the Oppo after y'day's experience.
Looks like you were up last night agonizing over this :).

Noobie question: can Oppo 93 and 95 be used as DACs? If yes, what types of inputs do they support?

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, neither model accepts any digital input. So unless, you are playing a disc, you cannot use the DAC.

Cheers

I was there at Divakar's place yesterday along with Raghuram and Krish. It was a very nice setup, very apt for musical listening with tasteful interiors. To our amateur ears, Oppo 93 sounded better than Marantz CDP with the same setup. I would like to compare Oppo with MF M1 DAC . Will be commenting on it in the next week along with Blasto :).

actually, you would not need a digital input on oppo as it plays all kind of media, including audio cd and HDD. though it may not have the best interface for playing media.

I was there at Divakar's place yesterday along with Raghuram and Krish. It was a very nice setup, very apt for musical listening with tasteful interiors. To our amateur ears, Oppo 93 sounded better than Marantz CDP with the same setup. I would like to compare Oppo with MF M1 DAC . Will be commenting on it in the next week along with Blasto :).

It would be better if you are comparing with BDP-95, since it has dedicated Audio board with Audiophile DACs (SABRE 32 -EAS)

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, neither model accepts any digital input. So unless, you are playing a disc, you cannot use the DAC.

Cheers

I am not sure if this qualifies it. I currently use a foobar plugin and connect it via network to my oppo and then to the speakers. So it is used as a DAC and a transport. The oppo support team confirms this still uses the oppo dac.

In the BDP 83, one does have dedicated stereo outputs, which they have stopped in the 93, but do have it in the 95.

I am not sure if this qualifies it. I currently use a foobar plugin and connect it via network to my oppo and then to the speakers. So it is used as a DAC and a transport. The oppo support team confirms this still uses the oppo dac.

What I meant was the optical, coaxial, or USB inputs that a regular DAC has. I think CA 840C has two digital inputs and you can use the player as a regular DAC.

I wonder how a source that comes via a network is handled. This is something I have to research on.

In the BDP 83, one does have dedicated stereo outputs, which they have stopped in the 93, but do have it in the 95.

We are talking about inputs or outputs here?

Cheers

It must be via DLNA. Foobar plugin create a DNLA server, while oppo works as a client and/ or remote. sud98, pls confirm.

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back